Pioneer

rosco01

As you can appreciate - I'm a bit hesitant to try an unknown brand.

Can someone chime in and give me a bit of info on the Pioneer Camaro shown on the home page - they look great.

I'm keen to learn if they have decent running gear - and definitely seek info on the chassis and how well the model is put together.

I expect that I can enter this model in at least one class.....

frats,

Rosco

Enter Ember,

I believe she is a collector of American Muscle especially Pioneer, PM her for the 411.

Although I guess she is not too far away, I think I can here her coming now.

We run the Pioneers here against Scaley, Carrera, SCX, etc, and generally, they are the quicker cars.

They also seem to require less 'tuning' to get to the 95% of capabilities mark.

Personally, I'm still on the lookout for a Pioneer Charger for the right price...

Preferably this one...

P025m3.jpg

Hahahahahaha... Not really a collector. I have a minor collection of two fastback Mustangs, 3 Chargers and a few Camaros. Many of them were actually competition prizes or gifts from special people. (stupid phone somehow managed to turn special into "ape oak"... What the?)

Detail quality it is hard to find much that is better. Performance out of the box? Well... Remove the magnets and they handle very much like American muscle. Great in a straight line, no so much a fan of corners. But they don't take a great deal of work to get them performing very well.

They did have a couple of issues with loose rear wheels but Jules assures the causes of that have been addressed.

The Charger is the pick of the bunch for looks for me. And a great nerfing weapon. That rear will probably reach across two lanes if given the chance. But on geometry alone I think the Camaro should be the best racer of the three. In all instances the centre of gravity needs moving down for proper frank hunkering performance.

I think there are a few threads about getting the best out of Pioneer cars.

Still think the cherry Charger is one of the best looking cars out there.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Just make sure the car you want has the correct motor for the class you want to run it in if you plan on club racing it, different cars sometime come with different motors, ( stupid in my opinion when they all race in the same class )

And yeah the wheels fall of I've only ever bought two pioneer cars and both had wheels fall off, something that dosnt happen on the cheaper scaly cars.

The Pioneer axles are unknurled which apparently meant more figuring out with regard to plastic expansion and such.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

With a bit of tuning the Pioneer cars can be made to go pretty good. I only have the Dean Gregson Mustang at the moment and I have put a Scaley motor in it as it had the 18k QS motor which has about 130gms of torque (quite a bit more than a standard Scaley 18K) and I wanted it to run neck and neck with Scaley cars. I sold an earlier Pioneer Mustang some time ago that had their 1st motor which was a bit weaker than a Scaley. I also had a Monogram Mustang mounted on a Pioneer chassis that had a Scaley motor with a Monogram Stocker spur gear (from memory they have a 37 or 38 tooth spur) and that was the pick of the bunch. Dunno why I sold it as it was the best handling Mustang I had, but I have another Monogram Mustang to do the conversion to when I get around to it and it doesn't take too much work to match the body to the chassis.

As far as the wheels falling off, they are easy to fix. Just score the axle ends from about 4mm in to the end with the edge of a small file about 4-5 points around the axle and use the smallest amount of superglue and they won't budge. I use the super glue in a bottle with a small brush in it like a finger nail polish brush and wipe about 80% of the glue off the brush in the mouth of the bottle and swizzle the brush around the inside the axle hole and push the hub on the axle. I've never had one fail yet. I'll be getting a Camaro too but just not sure which one yet.

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I have another Monogram Mustang to do the conversion to when I get around to it and it doesn't take too much work to match the body to the chassis.

when you do this, any chance of some pics?

I may have a revell mustang on its way that currently handles very poorly.

Also just got gave my carrera one to my dad, and it handles even worse.

I have owned this Pioneer Camaro for sometime and its performance was on par with my Scalextric Camaro. So I gave it the NSR treatment and now it is a mental car, well worth doing.

P1000033_zps8c5ca97d.jpg

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Some nice cars there ZeGas

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Bit of a pioneer fan myself . I've cut and shut a charger chassis and bolted it under a Revell snaptite Pontiac GTO . I've also cut and shut a Mustang chassis and put it under a Jag xjc12 coupe. About to put a mustang chassis under a revell mustang kit .

I'll do some on the weekend & try and remember how to post pics :unsure: . I actually purchased it on ebay with a different chassis but wasn't happy with it , was a bit lopsided and wobbly :wacko: . Jules (Pioneer) had a charger chassis sitting on his desk , so i grabbed it , just like a bought one now :P

Wow, folk - that's the biggest response I've had to any of my posts... thanks all for your valued input...

Sad news is - I've just been told I can't have the PIoneer Camaro in the class my slot group run.... it has to be the Scalextric one.... bummer!

Might go ahead with the purchase anyhow... I do like the models they supply... and, like so many clever advertisers these days - I nearly fell for the "magnesium look" wheel promo.... not magnesium wheels, just look like them.

Your comments re: wheels falling off and plastic hubs speak enough.

But, I acknowledge Ember's view that the body detail is as good as any... and it is a side-winder mech.... so, with "unknurled" wheels - a decent set of Slot-Its and some hardened steel axles.. plus lowering the c of g.... all sounds as if it might be a great model to slide around a track with....

Again, thanks everyone - much appreciated.

Didn't know I caught so many "fish"... although I had subscribed to the topic - nothing has come through in my email notifications.... so, apologies for the late reply.

frats,

Rosco

Hello Rosco,

Why does your slot group not allow the Pioneer Trans-Am models? Let me know who's in charge of this 'regulation'. I will send a representative round to pay them a visit and make them an offer they can't refuse.

The Magnesium 'style' wheels? I reckon they looked quite realistic.

It is interesting how the 'wheels falling off' issue from some 2010 production is still hanging around as a popular complaint, 5 years later!! Has anyone had recent experience of this problem on a model produced since 2011? I don't think so. Not in normal use anyhow.

You will not need to chuck out the axles on any Pioneer model. A precision ground, hardened axle is standard issue.

I hope you end up getting a Pioneer and give it some laps.

Jules

@pioneer

BB%20P0059%20%20P033_zpszyx15fgp.jpg

Wow, Jules - you hit with a big hammer....

I'm just a newbie to any slot group.. and I joined the local one - because.... well, it's local...

The "committee" must form a consensus as to what classes the run every year, when they will be run - and what models are eligible....

Now, if I do get permission for you to make contact - I will most certainly suggest that the great looking Pioneer cars above be allowed - or, it should be called the Scalextric class.... my thoughts.

So, is the cherry red #44 still available.... a couple of sites I visited trying to make the very difficult decision on just "which" one I would start with - were sold out....

I have looked at the Pioneer site.. sort of needs a bit more detail added to it... well, for my enjoyment...

Yes, Jules - I fully intend to pick one or more of these great looking models up... see if you, can make me an offer I can't refuse....

Oh - and thanks for the info re: axles... thank goodness someone understands that there are many of us who don't purchase/view these great looking models as "toys"..

frats,

Rosco