Ben_M

Round Seven- Wagburn Rally Sprint

That's awesome coverage.And how close the results 2-5 aprox 2" !!!!!!!!!!!

Great hosting.I think this is my 1st podium ever in historics

Edited by alexis in greece

yes yes yes....you got a 39y old boy excited with the report.... i was reading car after car and could not find mine. THANKS a lot for run the stage. Again a pro report that everybody enjoy to read. And tanks for the compliment. For information, the rear weight + the tyre was a very good mix on our race track at FPR but it lack the finess of some other cars in tight unbalanced corner. this stage beeing flat, it was all good for the alpine. My first stage victory in a proxy ever for my birthday, great!

Nice work Ben looking like another great round on the OZ rally has really kicked of , bet you are having fun with this!!!!!, envy you the chance to run a great bunch of car's, congrats to curef99 on your first stage win picked your car as a real good one at the start, and Alexis for his first top 3 finish, and to all who take part pretty close in places, on the Mini love it investing in a SCX one and a Scaley and all down to you Miverson. :)

So remember stage 1 and how your car went? Well forget about it because its a whole new ball game, plus we are only 90secs into an 8 minute event!

A bit of a shortened report for stage 2 as I dont have the time for it. Most of the cars handled the track fine, but those that didn't were in for a bad evening of racing. Being such a short track there were plenty of laps, 25 in fact, so if you had a problem with one corner on the track, you had 25 problems over the stage.

One that happened a few times which I had not had happen to me, was cars popping out of the slot on acceleration onto the straight. This track has a few changes in elevation. While not being of great height there are many subtle changes that catch out some of the cars. I had to be very gentle on the throttle in order to keep it stable.

15874019744_3cc5e897be_z.jpg

And the results look like this.

16313365077_2709ee3400_b.jpg

I can't believe Gas's car is so far down the overall order, it is one of the best cars here. So nice to drive.

Podium, GAS, Slow1 and knealer

16494842491_28eebc0ed1_z.jpg

I was a bit sneaky but dropping my old ozrally car in the background. I ran a few of my cars straight after the stage and it would have been second had it been in the running. B)

Raid results from this morning up soon.

Poor mans Porsche ! I'll give you poor mans Porsche you young whipper snapper :o;):lol: . Byt he way Ben what is the black surface. Looks as though the old tin of Kiwi boot polish came out. It had a look of a highly polished floor. Congrats to the podiumites . Still think the volksy can kick some butt to the ute and the north shore beemer. :P:D

Byt he way Ben what is the black surface. Looks as though the old tin of Kiwi boot polish came out. It had a look of a highly polished floor.

Black paving paint which I found in the shed of the last place that we moved into. It was pretty thick.

Raid Stage 2

It was a different kind of difficult for the Raids on stage two. Tight grippy corners brought many undone, you can see why from this pic

15876439883_366147ab01_z.jpg

Not exactly open, and with the grippy surface some cars were rather difficult to get around. Shadows Long wheel base car had its own issue.

15876450293_d14ae78dab_z.jpg

Lucky for him, it was set up well enough to overcome it.

Still think the volksy can kick some butt to the ute and the north shore beemer. :P:D

Sorry Red :P , the results.

15877739604_9484ec7b36_b.jpg

Some comments on the cars-

Phil- Solid, didnt have to work too hard with it

Miveson- Tippy and would get caught on the tight corners

Red- Nice but that guide is still popping out when it shouldn't be

AMCC- Terrible, too much power to control, too much grip so it got caught on the tight corners every lap. Had to hover marshal and give it a tap at least once every lap, some times 2 or 3 times.

GAS- Can't complain

SR- Longer wheel base caused a few deslots but still well set up

16470594386_c81e0866d2_z.jpg

Thanks again Ben...

Love the shot of the big Ford trying to 'cut' the corner...

That's the other reason that my BMW is quicker than the Ford.

Also, the 4wd on the BMW gives it a little more 'bite' in the tight corners at the front end.

Still, more than happy with the Ford, and I'm very glad to see it 'sticking it to the big boys'...

Looks like the Ford has it's work cut out for it for the final stage to either maintain the podium, and even more for it to move up a spot or 2.

Also, the 4wd on the BMW gives it a little more 'bite' in the tight corners at the front end.

I like the truck, have always wanted one.

Not always a good thing though. A 4x4 slot car essentially has all four wheels rotating at the same speed and when you go through a corner each well takes a different path so needs to rotate at a different speed which can happen. Its ok when you have some speed or a slippery surface, but when you have slow corners with a bit of grip all of the wheels work against each other and start to bind up. The car will then start to hop around, bounce and usually deslot. It one of those things you need to decide when building, if you want to risk having that happen or not to get the extra grip in other corners. Its never easy.......

Thanks Ben

Go the BMW it was a blast to set up

I just keep putting weight in it an it

Loved it 😃

It also helps to have a rally track

D7B8C91B-C16E-4C21-AEAF-78A33559B1DC_zpsgjhudkf6.jpg

Ps Ben : I copied your old track with my own twist

next year you will have a moving arm or a spring ninco guide, i will not do it again otherwise:). I fear that the alpine will try to take off on this straight B)

Interesting about drop arms on the Avant Alpine Curef99, Its all in the set up there is a sweet spot at about half way where they work just right and using a less powerful motor keeps the front end under control , have the same car as yours here and it nearly became my entry in the OZ but the motor was just to quick and at that time had nothing to put in it as I had already used up the more controllable motor in the RS , but since having a bit of time to breath on it have found the Slot it flat 6 to suit it very well nice and smooth all round. :)

Nice track GAS, I can defiantly see my old track in it. Your raid most certainly has some weight to it, it seems to work though.

Cure- The Ninco guide would defiantly help, might just be enough.

The 4.5min enduro for WRC cars happened yesterday on the longer stage 3.

Was easier to get into the cars as I have driven them so much recently. Most acted pretty much the same as stage 2.

16316805840_7d3d28137d_z.jpg

Half the horsepower and it wont be a bad car.

16504263095_5c06d095ac_b.jpg

Wider tyres didn't work for it this year unfortunately. At least I now no not to try it :)

16316803370_f982916ce3_b.jpg

Guide popped out too much on the undulations.

15881702354_632b8003c7_b.jpg

Was great over the bumps

16317988409_c9785fe16f_z.jpg

Hated the tight section, deslotted every second or third lap. Going slow didn't help either as it would deslot then too.

16502529191_ee198727b5_b.jpg

Didn't like going over the hump

15881699634_7a5a5a0420_z.jpg

So sad to see this car struggle so much. The destroyer of stage 1 (even if it didn't win), struggled big time on the tight section and just didn't flow well on the rest of it. Like Gazza, the big tyres would bind up a bit.

16316800060_6ece3970b0_z.jpg

Still too much power but as expected, liked the open track.

16316527878_9fede8fe73_z.jpg

Still hopped but once again I could drive around it. Still went rather well, very well actually. What could have been........

16317984329_896696e642_z.jpg

Mr Consistency. Such an easy car to drive, should be a role model for all. Got fastest lap.

16504255975_c13b31b712_z.jpg

Didn't like the hump much and lacked a little grip. Still a nice car though.

16316524318_074f8d750d_z.jpg

So good, ill give it two photos.

15884112493_658689c771_z.jpg

So easy, exit the corner and smash the accelerator, back off, repeat. No tip toeing around, just smashing it the whole time. Well done GAS.

16320975970_9443b850b6_z.jpg

As you can see there wasn't much in it when it comes to fastest lap. It highlights the need for a consistent car that is easy to drive.

Miveson is going to post up the overall when he gets a chance. I'm not quite set up for it yet.

Sorry about the purple beast Ben. I had it running beautifully here, but managed to break the chassis within an hour of having to take it to the post office, so had to revert to one that I used a couple of years ago.

Interesting about drop arms on the Avant Alpine Curef99, Its all in the set up there is a sweet spot at about half way where they work just right and using a less powerful motor keeps the front end under control , have the same car as yours here and it nearly became my entry in the OZ but the motor was just to quick and at that time had nothing to put in it as I had already used up the more controllable motor in the RS , but since having a bit of time to breath on it have found the Slot it flat 6 to suit it very well nice and smooth all round. :)

my advise, keep the green motor in... it is fun and give enouch braking, but four things to do for sure:

1/find the sweet point for the arm (to do)

2/get the inline kit (done)

3/glue the bearings

4/get the right tire

I repowered mine with a 20k NSR Shark which seems to be a little more manageable than the green beast tho its still in A/W configuration.

Final Enduro stage for the Raids has been run and won.

The main drama was when Rusty's truck lost control and caused some damage.

16532526416_f4d763752b_z.jpg

My car didn't fair much better

16558555035_645bc8f089_z.jpg

The pinion was moving on the shaft and the rough section of the axle ended up in the bearing so the thing barley moved. Had a couple of goes at fixing it but as I was going to pull it out after this round (I'm not a quitter but it was kind of pointless and a waste of time for the hosts) so I didn't spend too much time on it.

16557431552_633f2cb716_z.jpg

16370876438_eb8f8c7a29_z.jpg

For what ever reason the Mitzu team decided a from spoiler change would help. Sorry boys the troubles are much deeper than that. Too much grip and tired gears ensured a good time was not had.....

16532521746_13115ca2ee_z.jpg

16372635907_4f803949dd_z.jpg

There has got to be potential with these buggies. It just that neither Mark or myself found it........

16371095730_57c92f846d_z.jpg

16557446422_32cdc190ca_z.jpg

Phils Beemer was on song. Was super consistent and was able to be pushed. Was it enough to send it to the top of the time sheets?

16532541236_ed061e4e36_z.jpg

15938379723_d1a8010ca2_z.jpg

If it would have stopped doing this it could have gone much better.

16557440282_1ebd931448_z.jpg

15935982234_8ff594af45_z.jpg

The man of the moment GAS. Could he go 2 from 2?

15938371903_12ed3b1ef0_z.jpg

16370891048_b46e2b4d8e_z.jpg

Not much room here for the ute. A very quick car but once again the longer wheelbase caused a few deslots which were costly. Great car though.

So, to the results....

15936143264_def9dc2fbe_z.jpg

Fastest lap tells the story here once again. Not the fastest but defiantly the most consistent.

16557436332_91c033e763_z.jpg

Overall results later tonight.

Sorry that the big Ford decided to eat the scenery...

Thanks for still managing to place it on the podium once again, and congrats to Phil and Gas on the top spots.

Thanks Ben. I know that my Beemer is just so slow it won't fall off!

Looks like bad luck for another two trucks?

This is starting to look like the Dakar with several mechanical problems for the Raids.

Looks like they need building more like a truck than a rally car.

Edited by kalbfellp