1963 Volkswagen With New Steering & Suspension Chassis

choc-ice

There weren't many people who looked at the VW in the early '60s and thought "yeah, that's a racing car right there" especially against a Mini which has a reputation for good handling. But in 1963 at Mount Panorama this race was going on for dozens of laps.

BathurstBeetle.jpg

And you've got to say they look good in those colours. The Volkswagen won by the way!

Untitled-Scanned-01-1_zpsd934d4c7.jpg

Over in America at the Nassau Speed Week there were VW saloons racing against the Formula Vee single seaters.

salz50.jpg

In fact there were VWs racing all over the place, sometimes without too much care for their condition by the end of the race. Below it looks like the earlier qualifying heats were "enthusiastic".

850867.jpg

In early 1968 this little car was at Riverside, California.

10898182_811051468934271_3070341528541198582_n_zpstc9rbzb2.jpg

10626871_777940442245374_1684556656412386533_n_zps9frx6cj8.jpg

This one was had the engine and brakes from a Porsche 356 which must have made for an exciting drive, but as the driver was Carey Loftin it was nothing he couldn't cope with.

Unlike the Scalextric car which is based on the large window Beetle (>1965 in Europe and America but >1968 in Australia), this is a small window Volkswagen. It does have the Deluxe "towel rail" bumpers moulded in, so if you want to replicate a Standard bug you'll need to get busy with the scalpel.

This kit also comes with resin wheel inserts for 5 stud wheels so it's as accurate as can be.

IMAG1360_1.jpg

Full (yes, really full) assembly instructions are here and if you want the full chase-cars experience of some body lean and steering you'll need one of the new 012-604 chassis suitable for narrow cars.

604-59.jpg

While my usual American cars are set up to lean as much as possible, you can adjust the suspension travel to give just the right amount of lean for a VW at speed.

herbiejsr3_zps19bcc8b4.jpg

And here's how the finished car looks.

IMAG1271_1_zpsikzcglez.jpg

IMAG1272_1_zpsf1duz6cs.jpg

If you need a companion to this car, this will be coming soon, an Intermeccanica Apollo

IMAG1397_2_zps6iikscki.jpg

Or you might know it better as the Thorndyke Special

herbieed128.jpg

i004609.jpg

Let me know if you want one ;)

3D modelling a slot car - Dodge Monaco

Damn that's nice...

Great job there, and it has turned out really well.

ps. Very jealous...

pps. Can you put up a vid of it running around?

That looks and drives great...

May have to get me one of those to sit next to my Scaley, Revell and Carrera beetles...