peter m

Pete's Track Build - Jervis Bay

Hey guys going to build a track for myself with the Help of Andrew. It will be a slow build but hope to have it finished this year. So post will probably be far and few between. At the moment i am only at design stage. Have attached a pic and some of you south adelaide boys might recognise the design as i am pretty sure it is a carbon copy design of Neils little track. Still have dimensions to work out yet but that is where Andrew will work his magic. It is a fairly simple design and Will be a 3 lane routed track with 110mm lane spacing to allow 1/24 to run better or should it be 125mm?? I have a double shed and this will go in one side (6m x 3m).

Anyway will keep you posted on the build.

peter

slot%20track%20design.jpg

I think 110mm is enough - any wider and I think 1/32 car look a little lost - plus I think you might be better served if you have the room for an extra 15mm to put that to the outside for sliding.

My track has 100mm spacing and I can run 2 1/24 cars on it but I wouldn't race them mainly as my track is more a scenic drive than an out and out race track.

:)

Edited by dangermouse

Hi Peter,

If you have the space, leave plenty of room to the barrier to allow the cars to slide without hitting the fence. This is especially important with 1/24 cars running rubber or urethane tyres.

My track has 185mm from outside lane to the fence which is good for 1/24 drifts and also helps when someone de slots into the gutter...you have more chance of missing them.

I have 115mm lane spacing which I like.

Good luck with the build.

- Cam

Hoo Roo

Have made some progress last weekend! Working out really well just have to recut the middle peice as it all matched up nicely flat but by the time you put the berm and elevations in, it went out of wack a little but an easy fix. All up it is 4m x 1.5m and comes apart in 2 peices nicely!

track2.jpg

track3.jpg

track1.jpg

Looking good. Going to be a nice little track.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

What are peoples recommendations on paint? No one seems to use ferradore anymore. Been looking at paving paint as this is what is used on the brabham track at t-birds (2015 nationals track). Only thing is there is so many different kinds. I want something that will be smooth plenty of grip and road colour and also i like the look of rubber being left on the track!

any suggestions on brand and type? I am a little overwhelmed in what type or brand to get!!

also do i need to put on an under coat first?

Edited by peter m

The Dulux Suede paint goes well - there is a thread on here of another build and he used Suede - I have used it on my track and a mate of mine repainted his track with it after running on my track. Ember has painted her scaley plastic track with it as well

Seems you can put a coat of matt clear over it as well

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18155-streets-of-oakhurst/page__pid__234071__st__20#entry234071

cheers

David

Alright before i go nuts is there a better way to paint the groove other than with a brush because it is useless to try and do it with a brush!!! Was thinking of just buying a cheap $20 air brush kit and doing it that way??

This is what I used

23402B04-44C5-4B8D-B083-8ABDB27623C6_zpsj6sqapfm.jpg9CFAA60A-2AE3-4B37-867D-13595189B910_zpsnz7lpm0d.jpg

I drizzled paint with the syringe a metre at a time in the slot then the paint brush I trimmed so it fit in the slot if you use a 20ml syringe it flows in the slot nicely

Edited by GAS41T

The track is looking good Peter. Did you use the Dulux Seude paint? Will you eventually add scenery or mostly just fences/barriers?

Well done so far.