Bargain, does it work well?

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Wobble, I might be in Chch this weds, any racing going down?

If so, wot cars do I require?

sweet

• 2 weeks later...

O.K Wobble..... I'll ask. Why distilled water to run-in motors?..

and... if I use local tap water should it be from which state?

Hmm then again...must be the water in South Australia because Shane (Jazzbell) always has fast motors. :lol:

Edited by axman

Actually, to be quite honest, I just use warm tap water now. I used to use distilled water but the tap water here in Christchurch, NZ, seems to do the job OK.

Normally I don't run motors in, I just use them, and only do this to motors that have been round the block more than a few times and it usually brings them back to their former glory.

I don't even oil them before dunking them as I figure the water is more than enough lubrication for the short time they are having a clean out.

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

On sensitive motors, I've found running them in shellite better than water...

And for an aggressive clean, Metho works a treat...

Haven't gone back to water since...

Like Wobble, I seldom run in motors - usually just use a wet wash to clean up really dirty ones if a shot of braid juice on the comm. didn't fix them.

But when I do, I would use plain water with a few drops if dish-wash liquid in it.

The reason for that is the "detergent" is what we call in chemistry a "surfactant" - (surface acting agent) which is a chemical which lifts and suspends solids in a liquid. So it actively lifts and holds the carbon residues in suspension, - ready for removal. It is quite interesting to watch a dirty motor spool up, and all the grey that spits out if you use a surfactant in the water.

Then I remove it, let it drip dry-ish, then drop it in my metho bath for a couple of minutes then leave in the sun to finally dry off.

The metho displaces any residual water, and when the metho dries you have a clean motor with minimal carbon left inside.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Actually the detergent removes all lube, just like metho; so you will need to oil both ends after cleaning - and be real careful on the end-bell not to overdo it.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol: