My First Carrera Cars.

dazza

Don't know about the Beamer, but I've just tuned up the Audi myself, apart from a set of urethanes on the back and truing down the front tyres to get the braid to contact properly, oh and removing the return spring on the guide, not much was needed.

It's one of the best running non alloy equipped cars I have.

They've come along way from the crap they were making a few years ago. :)

Can I ask people what the general consensus is on Carrera, now? Trawling around the net you find people who bag carrera, others that say they're ok... This is probably one of those 'go round in circles, everyone has an opinion' type questions so apologies if that's the case... it would be good to know that given their massive range, the cars they are bringing out these days, hold up well without a bachelor's degree in slot car tuning. I was hoping that modern carrera cars might run against scaley or fly on routed tracks.

Like everything, I expect it depends what you want out of a car. They're beautifully detailed for the price. Fine for the home track. But if course they're never going to run with Slot.its.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Frost

I agree with Ember. I think they are excellent value for money. They are not up there with slot.it or NSR in performance but in my opinion they edge Scalextric and Ninco in this regard - the cars look great they drive well with magnets and with tuning without magnets.

I think in the past they were seen as heavy cars with IMHO an over-engineered chassis - they seem to have fixed this up and now produce some really nice cars. The 512BB is a winner as are the current DTM cars....we also like them for the classic stock cars - they go well on a magnet track...

If Scalextric NInco and Carrera all made the same car - it would be a toss up as to which one to go with and the decision would probably come down to what others at your club where running - the Carrera would be the least expensive to buy - so if everyone else was running them......

If you were looking for 2 cars to race against each other at home - then I would go for Carrera.

Totally agree with Ember and DM - I probably have more Carrera cars than Slot-It's....

My re-entry into slot cars was entirely down to Carrera.... specifically, the Cobra's.... I let a Scalextric one go in my much younger days and have rued the loss ever since.

When I picked up my first two Carrera Cobra's.... there isn't any way I'd compare these great little cars to that of the 1966 Scalextric AC Cobra's.... detail, running and engineering.

I don't run magnets - no debate entered into, I do find Carrera cars to slip around a bit at the back...but it is entirely controllable - and fun.

I have 4 Cobra's, four Cheetah's and Mark Webber's RB7.... they have all been great models right out of the box (OTB)... only one had a motor issue - and Armchair replaced that free of charge (thanks Kevin).

As for over-engineering - yes...... impressive - but can become troublesome if it gets out of whack... particularly the guide arrangement.

For running on Scalextric track, the guide has to either be changed (comes in box) or the red one trimmed to suit.

Also, on Sport track - grip is a bit of an issue on the standard Carrera tyres... not so bad on the older Classic track.

On one of them, I fitted MJK replacements to the rear... and it sure pricked up the ears in handling.

I don't have any Ninco yet - but there's one I'm seriously looking at... and will probably report if/when I get it.

The only Carrera I've been disappointed with is the Mark Webber RB7 - I got the very last one available... it's a cumbersome model, in my opinion... but, along with it being fully digital - is a collector's item, and I won't ever part with it.

My introduction to Slot-It has been a learning curve - and I fully concur with what is posted above, if you want a competitive model with amazing value for money and quality/high end running gear.

The GT40 Mk1's were my introduction into Slot-It... and I have not looked back. So much so, that I have not purchased another Carrera model since, save for the RB7 as a part of my Oz associated collection - along with the latest release Scalextric L34 of P. Brock/P. Sampson.

I have recently posted comment on my first Flyslot model... and I would suggest anyone read those comments prior to making an investment...

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Appreciate the feedback guys. At our little club in Launceston we frequently run a Flyslot Le man Gp5 class and I have been thinking about getting the carrera VW beetle gp 5 that they just came out with; maybe swapping in a fly motor to ensure parity. I might have to take the plunge. Thanks!

Rosco, of course the Webber RB7 was a disappointment. Vettel nicked all the good bits for spares. :D

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Most of the Carrera cars I have, have had a Hawk 18k motor fitted to them. More torque and far better brakes.

My Talladega and Roadrunner will outrun most classic stockers I race against. A worthwhile upgrade I figure.

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Frost, don't let us put you off - Carrera are probably my #2 at the present... obviously, Slot-It are #1....

Embs, dear lady - you and I, Mark and Sebastian all know - Mark was the better competitor..... me thinks, he may more often than not - been dealt the Flyslot in lieu of the Slot-It...

DM.... fear not - I've brought life back into ashes before - and I'm in for a pretty big fight to get another "new" heap of fading embers back up on deck...

About to post today's effort with this latest little over-committment... both in effort and funds...but, it will be one which rises from the ashes... the model, when I received it - was a "dustbin" case..... let's see what great input and info which has come from this forum can do to bring this dear little thing back to life.....

frats,

Rosco

Thought i'd share a little of my much less ambitious recent set up.

Fly Porsche 934 she'll over a Fly Porsche 911 SC Rally chassis. That's how it came to me. The key differences are that the wheels are both inset and narrower than the original 934. Guide fit, but kept bouncing out of the slot. (Needed some pressure from the top to work).

Replaced the rear end with a slot.it one, 19mm 34 t spur and some CB Dedigns 15*10 rims with Paul Gage urethanes.

Front got some smaller dia slot.it hard tyres and I set a fly type guide with soft braid.

Chassis was trimmed where the magnet holder is so a flat piece of lead could be glued in, and braced with some plastic tube.

Not as flat as Rosco's chassis, but flexes in the right places. Is now smooth and quick around my tight little track, has good brakes and just a little squirm out of a corner - just like a porsche should. All up, about 2 hours work.