Sign in to follow this  
Springbok Racer

So What Get You Caught Out At Scrutineering?

Hi guys,

Thought I'd throw a few bits of info out there for all the newbies, about the little things to watch for at scrutineering. It is not the measurements and the weights that cause the biggest issues, but the little things we have in the regulations. They get overlooked and or forgotten:

Scale Auto GT's

- not installing the roll cage when fitting the lexan interior

- not fitting all the little photo edged grills (especially the narrow ones on the side of the Audi)

- not having an eligible MSC/Scale Auto logo on the bottom of the main plate

- wheel inserts that stick out and make the spur wider than the allowed 80 or 83mm

- not painting the lexan interior using at least 3 different colours

- not adding a glare strip across the top of the lexan windscreen

- not using at least one coat of paint on the entire outside of a white body kit

- not using all the body parts on the body.

- fitting the wrong pinion

- not using Scale Auto wheels

- not adhering to 1.1.0.d and 1.1.3.b

OAPR LMP's

- fitting the wrong pinion

- not fitting the light inserts

- painting the light lenses a solid colour.

- not using a modern race livery or variation thereof

- using a body that has not been homologated

Please ask to have your car pre-checked by the scrutineering team before actual tech control, if you are unsure. It will help us to manage our very tight race schedules and thereby make the event flow as expected without having to wait for cars to be fixed before we can start racing. It is important to present your cars for scrutineering with the body loosened from the chassis AND after scrutineering but BEFORE qualifying that you retighten the body to the chassis. The scrutineers will not loosen or fasten the body on your car.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Weight?

Check your car with the scales the scrutineer is using.

Hi Cam,

Yes you are right. I tried to point out all the bits avoiding the exactly measured ones. However, your point is extremely valid and that is why our regulations provide that all the scrutineering tools must be made available before the actual tech control for guys to check their cars. Regarding weight, it is also important to realise that all our weights are measured to at least 0.1 of a gram, so it is important to use a scale that will show parts of a gram. As Mike pointed out last year at HSC - 189.9 gram is not 190 gram, and a scale which rounds up may cause that problem.

Cheers,

Jan

Just finished Tupperware Gregs Viper & don't think I'll bother pre checking it's weight with the scrutineers jewelry scales,at 210 gms I think the local weigh bridge will still give a reading. :D :D :P With the Lexcen windows & interior to come I don't think it will go remotely close to 190 gms.Cheers Jimmy :D

...another one has been to make sure the body is properly tightened on the chassis AFTER scrutineering. Most of the events require the car to be presented for scrutineering with the body losened from the chassis. This is done as scrutineers are not allowed to work on the cars. For the same reason the scrutineers do not re-tighten the body and the teams should always ask to do that themselves. This is usually allowed when braid and tyre cleaning get done before qualifying.

Don't get caught out on this as you would otherwise have to do so under race conditions once the racing start, or even worse during the one minute of qualifying....

Just saying....

Jan

Too many rules: The decoration part (paint, windscreen strip etc)...

Their for racing, not a scale perfect fully detailed model.

I guess that's why I couldn't be bothered with this Nats stuff. Have fun though.