jphanna

Air Cond Woes

guys we all know murphy law.....if the air cond is gonna break down, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will break in middle of summer, when most tradesmen are on holidays!!!!!

it was 44 degrees in Adelaide yesterday and the compressor wont kick in. (right now there is a huge bushfire going on so I understand that my home air cond problem is not important in big scheme of things)

if anyone knows why a compressor just decides to stop working, just a switch playing up or it basically cooked?

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

Could be one of several problems, sensors, relay, can burnt out, no gas!

If the indoor fan runs you could take the cover off the outdoor unit and use an insulated item to push the contractor in to see if the compressor will run at all.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

thanks phil,

I had a mate give me a number for a guy to check it next week.

(that bushfire is escalating.......)

Good luck over there guys. Call has just been put out for CFA crews from here to go over for backup.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

guys we all know murphy law.....if the air cond is gonna break down, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will break in middle of summer, when most tradesmen are on holidays!!!!!

it was 44 degrees in Adelaide yesterday and the compressor wont kick in. (right now there is a huge bushfire going on so I understand that my home air cond problem is not important in big scheme of things)

if anyone knows why a compressor just decides to stop working, just a switch playing up or it basically cooked?

Give the compressor unit a good shake if its not bolted down my mother in laws would not start gave it a big shake and bingo it started lasted 3 more months then died this may work Cheers

I read somewhere that the compreesor won't cut in if it is too hot.

Don't know if true or not

Cheers

Baz

Baz,

I can understand that if it has been running flat out, but it doesn't work at all. its not overheated.

What type of AC? If it is a larger ducted system it may have tripped out on high pressure assuming it had stopped during the heat. If that isn't the case it may be some sort of electrical failure of lost gas but it would have to lose a lot of gas suddenly if you have already been using it. Hope it isn't a major failure as that will be costly.

Anyway difficult to diagnose from 2,000 km away. Good luck with the fires.

its a larger ducted system for 2 story house. hoping its just a switch. repair man a week away. all good. people lost houses in fire so I cant say anything....

My ducted was just a case of a loose connection dropped the gas after so many years. Re-gassed and did up the connection and no prob since.

Stu

Old racers race harder

it doesnt help when the default setting is 10 degrees........the females in the house just put the air cond on and ' who cares if its set to 10 degrees'. my old air cond had a limit or about 18 degrees or maybe even 20. you only need a comfort zone in house, dont have to be like an ice skating centre.

so you got it set on 10 degrees, with most of the windows open and every room switched on with no one in them.......it never stood a chance.

Well John it sounds like when it's fixed you need to set it at about 22 (thats what we run ours at and it was great on the 40+ days) and the educate every one on how to use it.Lay down the law on it's use..

if i locked it up, they will smash it with an axe and set to 10 degrees. its 3 against one.......

Edited by jphanna

Dame those woman fiends if they want it that cold they should move to Alaska.

Or except that there is not an aircon on Earth that will get a Mawson Lakes home down to 10 on a 44 degree day.

I here we will be running together at FPR in the 1/24 LMP in Feb look forward to it

Mick

Here's a controversial idea. Don't get it fixed. Or rather, don't get it fixed in a hurry. Makes them sweat throught some of those Mawson Lakes scorchers, then they might appreciate what they have and use it more responsibly. People have been living without airconditioning for much longer than they've lived with it.

I'm guessing it's a fairly modern house as most of them out that way are. Even a 10 year old house is better designed for dealing with Aussie conditions than something built in the 50s or 60s. Sure you might have to do some work opening and closing blinds and windows but people do need to learn to be realistic.

Ok. Climbing down from soapbox.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hands up anyone who grew up with or brought up teenage daughters.........try in middle of winter takes one item of clothing off the clothes line, that's only ONE item, leave the other 30 items on the clothes line that don't belong to her, and place the ONE item in the dryer for 45 mins to make it 'toasty warm'.....

hands up people got teenage girls in house. sound familiar?

I like the idea of dragging the 'fix' out as long as possible....but the master bedroom faces the sun. on a 31 degree day just laying in bed and not moving at all, will produce sweat. so a 44 degree day.....

Edited by jphanna

Hands up anyone who grew up with or brought up teenage daughters.........try in middle of winter takes one item of clothing off the clothes line, that's only ONE item, leave the other 30 items on the clothes line that don't belong to her, and place the ONE item in the dryer for 45 mins to make it 'toasty warm'.....

hands up people got teenage girls in house. sound familiar?

I like the idea of dragging the 'fix' out as long as possible....but the master bedroom faces the sun. on a 31 degree day just laying in bed and not moving at all, will produce sweat. so a 44 degree day.....

Mine is nine and I do fear the future. I know what its like with a N/W facing house bad bad bad even with its sixties design its just awful on an real hot one. Metro housing developments just dont provide the temp friendly stuff except for bloody big aircon.

We are planting some taller trees on the very front of the block to shade the front on the real hot ones. Cant have them to close because then the foundations move.

But back to your original post I got the humor, even if some others did not, on that day my air con compressor cut out with the 44 temp just making it to hard. Mine is set on 25 but its just to hot on that side of the house and guess where the split is located!!!

A shade screen for that is in the future aswell.

I can go one better than having a teenage daughter/sister. I WAS a teenage daughter/sister. ;):D I also live in a 100 year old weatherboard cottage with 4 pokey 12 foot square rooms, tiny windows and a tin roof. I've never been lucky enough to live with air conditioning and am just pathetically jealous of anyone who actually has it as soon as the weather gets over 35.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

i put any money that you were a great little girl and never caused grief for your dad. This new generation of kids are demanding, tantrum throwing ungreatful bloody animals.

i put any money that you were a great little girl and never caused grief for your dad. This new generation of kids are demanding, tantrum throwing ungreatful bloody animals.

And hopefully not members of this forum. If they are !!!!! LOL

I am sure your girls are just as lovely as you John

I've moved to Brisbane from Melbourne. I drive a PT Cruiser. It is black. The Air Con broke at the start of summer.. (Sad Face)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.