Finally a 'lectric Car I Would Not Be Embarrassed In

SlotsNZ

image115378_b-1024x682.jpg

image115382_b-1024x682.jpg

image115402_b-1024x682.jpg

Okay, so it's a match between 'lectric and twin hair driers, and the 'lectric side drives the front wheels, which no respectable BMW was ever going to do - but does these days.

But hey, performance, Orsum with an O. and looks, I could live with that blue beauty.

The i8 hits 100km/ from rest in 4.4 seconds, which is quick, but not outstanding, a far cheaper BMW M4 can do that in 4.3, but the super hybrid can go from 80km/h to 120km/h the kind of acceleration you use most often for overtaking, in just 2.6 seconds. That’s almost a second quicker than the M4, which is no slouch.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I'm with you Stubbo.......... "the other kind" (I mean those who have not shared their life with a Bavarian Motor Works), they have not the experience....... they cannot help this thing.... or lack of thing . . . so we must be gracious and understanding, and sensitive towards them . . . . and never condescending of course.

653353097_1413622.gif?4

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Whats wrong with the badge..? The BMW dealership in Underwood sells far more cars to the bogans in Logan than Holdens and Falcons so these's no snob value attached to the badge as far as I am concerned.

That's part of the reason. It's not the snob value, but the badge has lost a little bit of its 'special.'

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I believe BMW should re-locate the indicator stalk... why is it so? - the drivers don't seem to be able to find it.

I'm sure there are others here that also find, as I do - that so many of these cars with this particular badge seem to "do things" without indicating...

There have been some great Bimmers over the years - I would drool to get my hands on some of them... not going to happen.

Bloke next door has a great one - and tries to rub my nose with it every opportunity he can.... I got fed-up with this a couple of weeks back when reference was made to my old Holden not being worthy of the great wax I was using on it... he hasn't spoken to me since I asked him the fatal question.....

"What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?"...... "no idea, mate - c'mon, smarta@#se - what?"...... "a porcupine has the pricks on the outside...." he walked off....

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01
  • Upvote 1

I believe BMW should re-locate the indicator stalk... why is it so? - the drivers don't seem to be able to find it.

I'm sure there are others here that also find, as I do - that so many of these cars with this particular badge seem to "do things" without indicating...

frats,

Rosco

:angry:

Alan Stubbings

It's OK Stubbo. Owning a Goss Special is a very redeeming quality. :D

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Now they're trying to humour you Stubbo.... stay strong.... :)

Actually Embs, I am not Bimmer mad, I just know the 540i that I owned from 40k to 117k was far and away the nicest lump of tin I've ever had.

I sold it as I saw the likelyhood of soaring maintenance costs. Oh foolish me...... I could have rebuilt the entire drive train on mmy auto losses of the next year.

Bought a near new Aurion Grande direct from Toyota's exec. "loaner" fleet with 6K on the clock.

Sent it back to the dealer at least 4 times in 8 months to try and fix the vibrations and rattles, eventually gave up on them and it. Hated every moment of the nasty beast. Even my car-dis-interested wife chastised me for that one. "I want my heated seats and comfortable ride back"

Sold it after a year, and was just so happy, happy, happy [sing the happy song] as the guy drove off up the street

Roscoe, either Australia is different, or you have your Deutscheland badges mixed up.

It's the 5 ring owners that suffer from indicator loss and porcupine disease here...... and impatience. I see so many of them sitting beside their cars on the open road, talking to the AA on their cell-phones. "My car has hand-grenade disease"

Oh dear, :rolleyes: not off to a very good start, am I?.... I'm guessing a certain proxy series administrator might drive a vehicle from Bavaria.....

SlotsNZ - I'm skating on so very thin ice at present with my comments above - I think I should refrain from making any reference to the owners of any vehicle for a long time..... even "Reliant" ones......

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Please. Let's not start on the 4 Ring Circus! I do think those people come from another planet.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I think the fact it gets 230hp out of a 1.5l engine is quite impressive. The rest would be impressive if it wasn't in such a pretentious car. But it only does 120kph on electric power and only 35km range .

So less of an electric car but more a super-car that utilizes the best of two motive power sources.

Bonus at least here is less import/excise duty as it is classed as a hybrid. But still mortgage pricing.

BMW had to do something because the Audi R8 was stealing all the limelight.

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

Oh dear, :rolleyes: not off to a very good start, am I?.... I'm guessing a certain proxy series administrator might drive a vehicle from Bavaria.....

SlotsNZ - I'm skating on so very thin ice at present with my comments above - I think I should refrain from making any reference to the owners of any vehicle for a long time..... even "Reliant" ones......

frats,

Rosco

All in good fun Roscoe, all in good fun. - especially when we get to laugh at Robins ;)

- and not bavarian any more. I now drive a geriatric-mobile.

I had a 323i E30 shape. they went those here to test the car out before them made the M3 version. For some reason I got rid of it.

I saw something cool in one of the Brisbane City car parks today. You drive an electric car in, you can park for half price and charge your car for free!

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

^ Amen to that but try telling Californians who drive all those Priuses. Top gear proved a long time ago that a Punto diesel get better gas mileage.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1980-briggs-and-stratton-hybrid-concept-car.htm

Hybrids from 1907 and 1917. Who knew!

Outside the box looking in.

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

I gotta say, ive driven many many cars, mercs, beemers, porsches, Bentley, the list goes on...even an aston at one stage, (a gold pontiac firebird with the 8L 454 and matching gold fluffy seat's was an experience) but by far the most enjoyable, comfortable and all round easy to live with car, that includes going to the shops after a spirited drive at a track or mountain twisties is definitely the M3. M5 is phenomenal as well but slightly bigger for the tighter stuff.

They really are a driver's machine that can not look outlandish at the Coles carpark but can look dead sexy on the boulevard.

This electric one though does look a little more odd....

My son and son in law both have had1351's. For those that don't know the BMW number system ..That's a 1 series (small 2 door) with 3 litre straight 6 cylinder with factory twin turbo's. What a blast... Stops, corners and goes like a scalded cat but still an absolute pleasure for everyday driving. Had a few track days with it and can't believe how " track friendly" it is.

The new Hybrid I'm interested in is the mini turbine's - only the size of a loaf of bread and designed to charge the batteries only.. Be awsome hearing these things winding up or down at the lights.. Something like 90'000 rpm and only need servicing every 8000 hours.

Edited by axman

This looks great , the only BMW i've owned was a 2002tii in the 80s I wish I still had it although theres probably not much of it left as that was back in the UK and it had rust problems then .I loved that car but i'm a Kombi guy these days and have been for a long time.

• Upvote 1

Heya Geoff, happy Christmas to you, and amazed you STILL have the Kombi....

yeah, the 2002 was a sweet wee car. Friend had one.