rosco01

My First Builds

Thanks, Stu - there's now some 30 km's or more between it and me now... and much greater distances between us to come.

It ran around the track at Cheltenham - and nothing fell off or it didn't go up in a puff of smoke..... so, I guess - I'm the first "team to arrive".

With nothing else on the track - it was at the lead on every lap....... it will be relegated down the list as every new competitor arrives...

At least it won't come 53'rd - as in its number..... there is a maximum field of 24..... maybe I can have 24 next year.. unless the current owner wants to continue using it....

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Great work Ross and I think your engineering is top class , looking forward to your new build , expecting it to be about as long as The rise and fall of the Roman Empire :lol: so ordered my zimmer frame chuckle , jokes apart your work is inspirational, well done mate deserves to be up there with the front runners. :)

Hi Rosco.

As I have said before your workmanship, attention to detail and finished product is almost unbelievable. At just over 60gms it is only at high end of normal (55-60gms). Car will no doubt be well planted and probably easy to drive so it might surprise everybody. MRRC motor is a good one but gearing really important.

Best of luck to all with TC. My No.5 Brabham BT4 may be too light so will have to wait and see.

Regards Chas LeBreton

Thanks everyone - can't do anything about it now... looking forward to just sitting back and enjoying the ride.... it's all up to Bill now...... even if he is wearing Coke bottle bottoms....

Hope it all holds together.

Chas, I don't know how this weight thing works...... I got burned with over-powering my GT40's... so, guess I'll have to wait until the event drivers can chime in as to how my little car might drive/handle/perform better.... I did very carefully weigh it at milestone points and have recorded various stage weights..... which will hopefully assist with building the following two Coopers..... if it is determined I need weight here or there - I will then know what I can incorporate into the following and future builds.

I guess, all in all - this now moves onto the development stage of scratch building..... pretty much a more scaled up version of the proto-type from now on in.......

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Ross, I've just been at a cobbers track for a bit of Sat arvo racing and while I was there he showed me a munter bodied T53 he has. I didn't realise these things are so small. It gives me a whole new perspective on what you've put together here ... and you speak of flaws?!

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Have to give you some seriously good feedback Rosco as you have done an amazing job on the Tasman entry. Very, very impressed with what you have done and a marvelous journey that you have documented over the last few months. You should be very proud of what you have achieved. Congratulations!!!!

Can't wait to see how it performs on the different stages....

Cooper #2 is well on the way.... I could have it running in another day.. minus all the bling, paint and accessories.. think this one will be lighter, quicker and look a bit tidier than #1...

Bram - yes, they are indeed little cars... but, as Phil states - these ones are very generous if working for the first time in little "half-tonners".

I would thoroughly recommend this T-53 Cooper for a beginner... there's plenty of room inside (once you grind out some of the casting "meat") - a standard 72.27 mm wheelbase chassis sits beautifully in the wheel arches of the body - and because the rear is enclosed - all you really need to add is a pipe out of one side as an exhaust - instead of all the engine detail on many of the other models....

Wishbones are probably a lot easier than radius arms.... and these can simply take the form of a double bent piece of brass rod - soldered to the rear bracket.

Springs - well that's entirely up to the builder.... I don't believe there's any demand by the scrutineer for them.... from memory, "some suspension detail" is required....non-specific.

Big issue with this little car is the driver - especially if you use the BWA or SRP motors.. they are a lot longer than the short Solarbotic.... I spent considerable time and repeated effort to get my driver where I wanted him - and yet still have enough of him over the motor to replicate a body of sorts.....

Other than that - grab a body, some piano wire...... and a couple of brackets..... doesn't matter if it takes 12 months..... you've got that long to make an entry....

Oh - and bye the way.... another Kiwi would be good in the series.... Chas was the only contender for this years.... we have 4 from Canada... the same from Tasmania and I believe South Australia....... Vic leads with 6... one from Qld and one from NSW.... one from Malaysia - and I think, at last view - one from the UK..... sorry if I left anyone out....

Miverson - I'm reasonably happy with the result... there are huge errors and flaws in this first build... probably make nearly as many in the next few I build... little things, some not seen by others - but I know they are there - and I know I could have done better..... some of it, I pulled apart and re-did... some of it, I butchered and had to replace, some of it - I wished I'd just jolly well left it as it was... as I ended up with exactly the same errors the second (and third) time around... don't have the developed skills to approach those ones yet..... but, every model - brings new skills..... that's what modelling is to me.... you never rest whilst there is another option which works better.... or, you see what someone else has done.. and you copy it (best form of praise) - or go one again and expand...

Phil, yes - these little cars in particular are a great platform to make a debut into half tonners...... do you know of a better one?....

I'd like to think that someone, somewhere down the track - might just wade through the reams and reams of type I've flooded the forum with in this thread..... and take one of these on..... if there's a better one - or perhaps put better - a more appropriate one, as a beginner's model - I think now is the time for people to mention it....

Personally, I will have three of these before much longer..... maybe even more.... I really do like this little model... love the shape - and just how good it looks flitting around the track - not a greyhound, with the little motors used.... but certainly not a model that cannot give you some reward for learning how to respect it...

All in all - I've perhaps only done 20 laps with this first model... it has done quite a few more than that at the hands of a much more experienced driver.

Yes, it didn't fall apart (yet, that I know of)... seemed to sound like it wasn't trying to thrash itself to pieces..

All in all - pretty happy with the end result.... can't wait to read of its adventures out with the grown ups...

I do hope those that get to drive my little effort aren't disappointed.... it was not build for speed or any exact concours... I just hope it holds together and doesn't annoy those who have to drive it....

frats,

Rosco