F Is For Fab, Fabulous And Favourite

SlotsNZ

So what have you liked this year. New cars, projects, tools, whatever.

I'll kick off what I mean.

Favourite new car - I think my Slot.it Matra. Out of the box - a bullet, tuned, broke my lap record for my track.

ca27a-4.jpg

Favourite workshop build, - torn, between my Chevvy Impala, which I run in Our stockers/ classic Nascars class. Not the fastest car out there, but wins by 20 laps on style baby, style.

10685359_656214707819480_6863931656822267395_n.jpg?oh=3e7d9f696880061946d4e5f9fddb7d29&oe=55090711

Or the Minis I just put together for a house class.

10698487_697844843656466_4790747541923291788_n.jpg?oh=bffa369a234a2d255fd45a4e20149e3b&oe=5514EC0C

Most satisfying project

The workbench makeover, now I have what I want at hand.

10704035_683617968412487_3951189318149972420_n.jpg?oh=6c98a704190174b8529e1506acc69b15&oe=54AA9489&__gda__=1424266040_a9776c66c8587851d0cf328fb3486cad

Favourite tool

It's that ugly bit of wood at left hand side of picture above, it's for softening tyres.

I forgot and left some on it recently, after 24 hours they were so soft you could cross a mud-flat with them....

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I don't have the fancy pics like you do, but I got quite a few highlights.

they not in order of importance as its just to hard........

1. figured out how to use NSR tyres now (.....after all that controversy!!!)

2. the matra is a special car and I bought one too. it just gives and gives and doesn't seek attention (hours of work) all the time like some cars do.

3. able to race and practice at thunderbirds. I have made so many new friends now and proud to be one of the gang now.

4. winning an enduro at FPR with team Alpine

5 being more competitive at SCR (many new friends)

6 bought a tyre truer. what a difference.....

7. raced in tbirds 8 hour scale auto. we got smashed, but I was part of a big race and loved it.

8. loved some of the debates and comments on AUSLOT. some real funny ones this year. cat piss one for example..

9. the big enduro at scalexworld, great event and great guys.

its been a great year for me and hoping 2015 will be even better.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

Hmmm.... Taking out the Concours title for IPS is probably my biggest achievement for the year. That and discovering that piano wire isn't that hard to solder after all. Shame I can't say the same for bending it.

Favourite slotting purchase... Haven't really bought anything much this year. So I nominate my new Badger 155 Anthem airbrush. Now I' e got to learn how to use an airbrush all over again.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Matra? you bet. My new favourite also and with a pair of Ultragrips and some ballast up front just so easy to drive. I'm using it as the 'benchmark' for preparing my T70 for the CanAm proxy. Still got a way to go though to catch the Matra.

My other favourite new car is the Scaleauto Homeseries Porsche 935. With a few bucks and not too much time, that's turned out way better than I would have expected.

New tool. Built a tyre sander/truer, it's not flash but works well. Way better than holding a car over a piece of sandpaper revving the guts out of it.

And upgraded my workbench.

And Mark, I'd go the Chev. That looks so damn cool. I feel a bout of envy coming on.

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

The number one achievement for me would be getting my rally loop in beige completed and working. There is quite a lot of physical and mental demands in building your own track...so I discovered for the fourth time.

The next would be meeting face to face with two slotters in Thailand ...one American and one Englishman who live one door away from each other in Bangkok.

It is always exciting when an online acquaintance becomes a real person.

Then there are several other things like, I am nearing the end of building a car for a mate in the UK...it has taken nearly two years so far.

My casting adventures continue and I have three personal builds on the go that I would love to get finished.

I have to say I have been happy with 2014 and its general slottiness.

Regards

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Ember, piano wire easy to bend. Just need something to hold it with like a multi grip and strong points.

Trick is to bend just a little at a time, without losening the grip.

OK. Perhaps I should've said accurately. But other than the 1/32 I don't find it particularly easy, even with a collection of orthodontic pliers.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

orthodontic pliers.

Why didn't you say that you had those a couple of months back, could've saved a whole heap of pain for you and more for some particular Council bloke.

Favourite Purchase

CA02g_956_lr__44453.1415644040.1280.1280.JPG?c=2

Favourite Build, my 2 sheds, one specifically for toys. Now just got to find the time to build.

• Upvote 1

I know it exists. But His Lordship probably does not.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I know it exists. But His Lordship probably does not.

this can be fixed . . . . [insert sicilian accent here] you have friends here - - we just need his mobile number, or a place to find him at a specific time ;) [/end sicilian accent here]

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Which one would you recommend Kim?

Lynne,

You toolmaker "friends" will be able to knock one up in no time if you tell them what you want to achieve and show them a few pictures!

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

Hi Ember

Fly's correct. Its a really simple jig to get made up - in fact anyone what has a drill press can do it.

Step 1 - On graph paper draw out a chassis you would like to repeat a few times.

Step 2 - glue the plan to a 10mm steel plate or thicker - the plate needs to be a a lot bigger than the actual chassis footprint

Step 3 - with drill press, drill an axle size hole (3mm or 1/8th) at every point where you have a bend in the chassis rail. - note "axle size" pins are ok

for solid brass or thin piano wire but if you're going to bend 1/16th piano wire you need to beef up the jig with thicker pins and bender.

Step 4 - make a "clamp" to hold the wire to bent at the starting point. This is important, you dont want the wire slipping in the clamp when you're

doing your first bend.

Step 5 - Insert your "bender" ( the thing that looks like a toothbrush) in the first hole stradling the wire, turn the bender until the wire is pointing to it's

next pin position in a relaxed state

Step 6 - remove the "bender" and place a pin (axle size) where it just was.. this holds the wire in position while you do the next bend. Etc Etc.

Excuse the very rough crude drawing - its late - but will give you the general idea and I'm sure someone on the forum must have one they can post a pic of.

X7SdSEV.jpg

Edited by axman

OK. I'll have a go once I've come up with a chassis design that I need to repeat.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

This is a great thread - dibs to the OP.

Favorite for this year - well, nearly all of it. Big year for me on my re-entry to the hobby - so much learned and so much achieved.

Have to say, though - it's probably down to finding Auslot... most of my endeavors are directly attributed to the kind, patient and supportive assistance I've been showered with from within - many thanks.

Ultimate creation was the Slot-It GT40white kit.... and managing to tweak it sufficiently that it is now the fastest model I have.

I'm about to pick up a solderer's ceramic tile... I'm guessing my next project will be the wire jig as mentioned above.... careful, folk - I'm taking notes....

frats,

Rosco

This is a great thread - dibs to the OP.

Favorite for this year - well, nearly all of it. Big year for me on my re-entry to the hobby - so much learned and so much achieved.

Have to say, though - it's probably down to finding Auslot... most of my endeavors are directly attributed to the kind, patient and supportive assistance I've been showered with from within - many thanks.

Ultimate creation was the Slot-It GT40white kit.... and managing to tweak it sufficiently that it is now the fastest model I have.

I'm about to pick up a solderer's ceramic tile... I'm guessing my next project will be the wire jig as mentioned above.... careful, folk - I'm taking notes....

frats,

Rosco

You should win a prize for that one :)

• Upvote 1

frats,

Rosco

Hey Rosco, something else for you to contemplate in the slot car world of GT40's. Should be at Armchair soon if it isn't already.

http://www.electricdreams.com/Shop/nsr-1188sw-ford-gt40-mark-i-white-complete-kitpreorder-now-p-16451.html

cheers, Bram

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

f.... like in french :

-matra

-rally driver loeb

-GT driver loeb

-new rally driver ogier

the only missing item: a modern french race car... alpine announced their roadster, peugeot their dakar buggy, alpine lmp won in 2013... but where are at the slot cars!

The other bad ones are the slot car delayed: matra 7 slot it, matra src, jacque lafitte slotwing

f.... like in french :

What about the colour? Isn't French Racing Blue the prettiest colour ever?

• Upvote 1

Outside the box looking in.

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

My fave new car is the one ZeGas mentioned, the new Leaping Larry Perkins and Peter Perfection Brock 956 from Le Mans. Gorgeous looking and more importantly a return to the fold for me. I have another Group C I don't have coming and having moved to Bris-Vegas I'm looking for a place that I can pop a racing room into (basically one with an abandoned "rumpus" room with luck!)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Took a peek at the NSR kit, Bram - hmmmm... but I think it's time to move to something a little different.

Basically, from what I can detect - the NSR kit will result in something very close to what I have just built - my motor is higher rpm, but I have added the metal gears and geared it a lot lower.

This unit sprukes that it employs the suspension type pod, but it is not included. I'm guessing that it might be a Slot-It based chassis... but, being relatively new to this modern form of slot-cars - I simply can't state.

The site is in the US - and of course our $AU is pretty low at present.

My suggestion for anyone wanting to build pretty much the same kit - is to take the path I did with the SI white kit and add the goody bits.

My motor brackets arrived today (thanks Cam) - and I'm yet to pick up that soldering tile (thanks Embs)....tomorrow, maybe - so, I guess I'm looking for a small model to build next.

I'll start a thread in the relevant section and hopefully glean information needed for my first ground up build.

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01