Sign in to follow this  
Tony.A

Alternative Bodies For Plafit Chassis.

It was certainly not my intention to offend anyone with my post in the Plafit GT3 thread which has now been removed and i was not knocking the class at all as i like the idea of an introductory class to 1/24 scale racing but not using GT bodies as like myself there is a number of people who also think that we already have enough GT body classes in scale racing.This is why i suggested that we could use the Patto's Place V8 Supercar bodies and interiors and decals and build a car using the 1700 Can-Am chassis for around $140.I have built 3 of these cars and they are quick and a delight to drive and are nearly as quick as a Scale Auto around the Anniversary track at Mobile Raceways.

A couple of other alternatives that would also look good would be DTM touring cars or Group 5 Sports cars.

I too think the Plafit GT3 class has merits and the KISS certainly principal applies here... Best of all, any raceway thinking of promoting this class has to only have a minimal Plafit parts inventory. The MCN has an Am class for plastics. too bad we dont have the same in 1/24.

tony the class already exists its called historics. Everybody has to run the exact same chassis engine etc and they run a lexan body and look fantastic and will out perform any other class of car they are cost effective and easy to build. There is no need to re-invent the wheel.

Rules for all plafit and open class rules are here: https://plus.google.com/photos/100400793531523576905/albums?banner=pwa

Idea of gt3 is to attract guys that want a ready to run car and don't want to paint a body and I is a stater class, some of us fast guys have built them to generate interest and to help the new guys along. You would know this Kim if you had of taken part in any level of plafit racing over the last two years.

Jason there is too many GT body classes already in scale racing and i do know what classes and rules are about already and i was only putting out some alternative bodies that can be used and i was using what i have built as an example.There is already a GT3 class with ScaleAuto and i don't see that there is a need for yet another GT body class which is why i put up the alternative bodies for discussion and i am not trying to re-invent the wheel at all.Here in Victoria we are already running Plafit chassis with Group 5 bodies and there is an old thread where there was talk about starting a V8 class and i can't see why it has to be a hard body class.The V8 Supercar bodies and decals from Patto's Place look great and handle well and is a helluva lot cheaper than having to buy a pre-painted body.Surely there is enough people about who could easily paint and decorate a body to help out a newcomer.

Painting for some people is a problem and many dont want to pay what's its worth to do one. Scale auto is not a class that is run here in Brisbane, just a handful of guys on the gold coast. Modern GT is a very popular class but cost are very high especially for a newcomer. GT in 1/32 and mini-z are our biggest clases and the focus here is on scale hard body cars so hence the GT3 class for cost effective 1/24 racing. lexan bodies just aernt popular due to their lack of detail so we use lexan for the classes where hard body is hard to get, historic, f1 and film LeMans cars.

Surely Jason there is guys there that would paint bodies for free just to help out a newcomer or someone who can't paint.When i was racing flexis i was always offering to paint bodies for free for people who could not paint.If you prefer to use hard body why not use Group 5 sports cars model kits as an alternative to GT bodies to give you a bit of variety instead of racing GT cars all the time

Guys up here just love our GT cars, there is Group 5 class in the rules and they get raced a few times a year and i agree they do look great. GTJ (hard body model kits) has been popular as has FLM (lexan, guess its just what different people like to run. The track makes a difference as well our tracks are slower and technical so hard body racing makes for the best racing. On a faster track then the lexan cars are probably a different way to go. Brisbane scene is more about model car building than going fast and the GT cars just seem to look the best on track in our opinion. Naranga run FJ lexan bodies on plafit chassis and they are a load of fun.

Here are some pics of my cars and bodies some of which now have new homes on plafit chassis unless rules don't allow.

IMG_20140729_135151_zpslxx5zvxt.jpg

PanozDiv2_zps9fa3f3f5.jpg

IMG_20141029_131639_zpsetzhpmkg.jpg

f12nd_zpseaf8a8bf.jpg

lolaside_zpsaafc3df5.jpg

image_zps7c6d84c0.jpg

minizpole_zpsa88cb542.jpg

case_zps5d8737e0.jpg

Edited by jasonk1970

If you are going down the rtr path, why not just buy rtr scale auto cars and run them as they come out of the box?

Maybe just change the bearings to oillights, the oillights could come from plafit chassis', I know I have a heap from the plafits I bought, and you could use the scale auto bearings in your plafit chassis'.

Now that would keep costs down.

Jason, you have an outstanding natural ability... unfortunately that ability is to make very personal attacks at anyone that does'nt agree with you.

No one is insulting you ( although I am now) and no one is knocking Plafit. Its simply a discussion.

And yes its admirable that you help guys sort their cars out.

BUT.. the point you are missing here is keeping interest up for Am guys that try really hard and giving them a chance to win a trophy against other similar drivers. That is not going to happen if you and other "pro" guys enter the same race no matter how much you help them.

You are also missing the point that people want to run something other than GT cars and a number of people have expressed that desire to me.I am only suggesting that what 1/24 scale racing needs is a class where it is down to driver skill and not building skill so that everyone stands a chance of winning and not someone with the deepest pockets.My posts are not intended to offend anyone or denigrate a particular chassis or style of racing but just a personal point of view where 1/24 scale racing is at the moment.

I agree Tony.

To me a entry level class is you use what you get in the box, and a set off control tyres.

But what Jason has put together is fine for them in QLD, us Mexicans can race whatever we want aswell, no one is forcing us to adopt this class.