2015 Nsw 1/24 Scaleauto Endurance Championships

Guest jazzbell

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I've finally recovered from another hectic weekend of slots!

Firstly I would like to thank the people who make this event possible, Jan and Shane. Thank you for your time and effort into organising an enjoyable weekend of car racing for us punters! Also a huge thanks to James and his crew from Hornsby Slot Cars for hosting this race meet and making us feel welcome over the last 3 days.

Personally i had a blast this year. Being able to mix things up with the Porsche wonderfully prepared by my crew Chris and Rod, we came home with a respectable 5th place. Defiant highlights taken from the race include being able to do the most laps on Black and winning the Roll on award at the end! As always we'll try and improve once again next year.

Also a shout out to all the drivers that raced this weekend. It's always great to catch up with both some familiar faces and also the new ones. My congratulations again to those who made the podium. A great social weekend enjoyed by all.

I hope to catch up and do it all over again with everyone soon.

Brooksy.

Brooksy

A big thankyou to James at Hornsby Slot Cars for providing us with a fantastic venue for the weekends racing,also like to thank the organisers Jan & Shane for a very well run event & all the other competitors for making it a very enjoyable weekend.Special thanks to all the interstaters & of course Gabe for coming all the way from the Nederlands just to race a slot car,gotta be keen :D Heres a pic of Cam & Shanes X-Treme Trax race winning & concourse winning LMP8%20hour%20enduro%20028_zpsso9khqzm.jpg LMP field & spares at the back 8%20hour%20enduro%20018_zpst8y719ir.jpg 8%20hour%20enduro%20033_zpspvbxfavw.jpg Scaleautos Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Thanks Jimmy and Fox.. I'm in the middle of a house move so you've saved me a lot of time with your pics and results.

Great Weekend..

THE LMP EVENT on Saturday looked like something out of a European Championship with beautiful brass and carbon fibre chassis everywhere you looked. Come race time it was close. For half the race the lead appeared to be a battle between our team (JRS), Phoenix and MF but Extreme Trax was the dark horse quietly getting on with the business and getting bad lanes out of the way.. by the end of the 6th bracket they emerged, took the lead and kept it to the end. Great strategy and a great drive. Cams winning chassis was an original Red Roo with the JRS carbon kit. Our Car and Phoenix both ran JRS prototype's.

THE SCALEAUTO EVENT was huge, again with very close racing. In addition to the Euro drivers there were drivers from all the eastern states and Adelaide. The Jokers, Phoenix and Raceworld were all at some stage leading the race. The Raceworld Team of JJ, Wayne and Cody were the biggest surprise. As you read above ( topic #125 ) JJ had only built his car the night before. Running 1st or 2nd for most of the race they only got piped in the last bracket for a podium placing.

Again, Shane top qualified in both events and all thanks must go to him for sponsoring the NSR motors for the event. As usual we all had a great time at the Blue Gum Bistro across the road with lots of great food and beer after a hard days work.

Thanks again to James letting us use his great venue and everyone for coming.

Kim Axton

Edited by axman

The LMP race was a driving lesson for everyone, Cam and Shane just smashed the rest of the field with a beautiful car.

Very pleased to pick up 3rd with my fellow "extremely experienced" mates, Fox and Kim. Our aggregate age is 189, if we can get Jan to drive with us we'll be nudging a quarter millennium.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Thanks all involved for a fun weekend, it was very well organised and there were heaps of great people there, nice to meet you all :)

For us it was a big learning experience, as I have not raced much in the past seven years, and Esther has hardly driven at all since early 2008. On the few occasions I have raced lately I've been fortunate to be a Joker, with Jan and Tim building great cars, that have been a true pleasure to drive. This time I was in charge of building the car and I clearly didn't do a great job at that :) We were a few tenths of the pace during most of the Saturday practice with the Scaleautos, but thanks to Greg giving us a few handy hints we found a bit of pace just before the scrutineering and the car felt reasonable. All things considered I was very happy to qualify 5th in a true quality field with pretty minimal preparation and car knowledge. The car ran well in the race for about half the first bracket, then the demise started with one screw after another coming lose in the chassis. The performance then slowly went out the window as the normally aligned axels went more and more crooked, and pretty much nothing on the chassis was straight by the end. Already in the second bracket we noticed that both rear pillow blocks had come loose, so they were quickly re-tightened, but the gears had taken a real beating. In bracket four I noticed that three screws were missing from the guide tongue, and the last one was just hanging on by a few threads :) We were pretty disorganised in the pits too as we managed to put on an old set of tires when we swapped the gears out, we had zero grip on them so we had to pit to get the ones we started on back on again. By the end of the race we had spent about 25 minutes in the pits, due to the many repairs.

Another huge thing I had completely missed was the ride height, I had not really thought about this for some reason. I have not played with these cars very much and just assumed that starting with relatively new tires and no spacers under the pillow blocks we would be pretty right. I measured the clearance last night after unpacking the car and we still had 2.0mm clearance!!! I called Lars straight away and we had a big laugh :) That means we must have started with about 2.5mm clearance... No wonder we struggled a bit :) Also the rear axle was visibly misaligned and the rear pillow blocks were both bent, and none of the four pillow blocks were sitting straight anymore, with the front ball bearings badly binding from the misalignment. Needless to say the Audi body is not in great shape either...

Next time we'll focus on Loctite and ride height, and I think we should manage a few hundred more laps :)

Huge thanks to Shane for lending us an LMP, so that we could race on the Saturday.

Anyway, a great weekend was had nonetheless and thanks to all who came along to play!

Cheers

Tobias

Guest jazzbell

All I can say is I'm still smiling guys. Would have to be the best weekend of slots I had for a long time.

Thanks to James on a great venue and allowing us to hold this annual event at Hornsby Slot centre.

All the teams that make this event,love coming away and catching up with everyone.

Cam and I had one of the best wins I've ever been apart off. The car was brilliant and we both drove the drive of our lives in the Lmp's.

Thanks Cam for asking me to team up with you it was well worth it.

I have to thank team boss of Phoenix Greg for letting me be apart of the team with you and Gary for the Scaleauto 8hr. People had doubts on the 4 driver combination but I wouldn't change it for the world,it was great. Me and my second and a half best friend Noel broke our brides maid places of last year and were part of a great win,great feeling.

I felt down and had doubts after our lose of 50 laps when we smashed the front end and had to fix it,but with a great car and drivers the rest was history . I must say the the quality of the jokers team of Jan,Timmy( best driver in the country )Gabe and mark really make it worth going to these events,love racing this team.

Thanks again for your help Jan.

Regards shane a

Team NSR

Kim Axton deserves a huge thank you from Team Phoenix. When we smashed the front of the car I was struggling to find a way to hold it together until Kim helped tape it together for us. I went out and bought a roll of his super race tape on Monday. Magic stuff.

Edited by Garry J

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Hi all.. another nights sleep and I'm starting to wake up. Mark Fox has posted the LMP results.. So I'll try to give you the Scale Auto results.

I'm struggling as my scanner refuses to scan so I'll have to ( in my usual manner) give a less factual account.

Qualifying was hot with 3 teams under the 6 second barrier. As usual it was Shane ( Phoenix) in top spot with a very respectable 5.910. Next up was Cam (Xtreme trax) with 5.994 and then Jan from the Jokers only 1000th of a sec behind with 5.995.

The Race You would expect raceday to replicate the qualifying order but no one told almost slowest qualifier Raceworld ( 7th qualifier) they should'nt be out front.. Can you believe for seven brackets the team were in a podium position.. only on the last lane change did they slip to 4th place behind late charger Xtreme Trax. As usual, lots of great battles and crashes but all cars seemed to finish intact and surprisingly with very little tyre wear and no motor failures. Phoenix won the race setting a new race record (4550 laps) , Jokers 2nd with 4496 laps, Xtreme Trax 3rd only 4 laps behind 2nd with 4490 laps. Raceworld 4th with 4448 laps, Dapto Extreme 5th with 4443 laps, The Gold Coast Eagles 6th ( 4287 laps), Team Wombat 7th ( 4198 laps) and the Euro team SYD in 8th with 4069 laps.

Great racing, hope to see you all at Red Racer in Queensland and continue our battle...

Regards,

Kim

Edited by axman

Hi Willow ,& yes the front row in each pic were the race cars,Mopar rules in Scaleauto but I must compliment Chris on his Porsche which I had the pleasure to drive the week before in some much needed practice,it was sensational & Brooksy was of the same opinion ringing its neck every time he was up to drive.They top scored on the dreaded Black lane & were more than competitive against the Vipers.Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Can we see the popstar picture Cam?

Poppy Jim looking quite fetching with his man bag.

16017823653_9d6cce82a3.jpg

The Popstar.

16451548699_212053c3c2.jpg

Captain Slow roaming the streets of Hornsby looking for shelter.

16450327510_df9da4fe69.jpg

Top weekend, the win with Shane was certainly a highlight. Always have a good night having a few sherbets with the boys, great social event.

Looking forward to Queensland.

Cheers,

- Cam

Hoo Roo

Hello Boys! I'm back home and really jet-lagged now - it's great to read the posts and jog the memories of the Hornsby race weekend - the beer didn't destroy all my brain cells luckily - great to meet you all. Thanks to Jan for prepping a very nice Viper and Timmy for the LMP - it was great to be "just" a trigger monkey for a change :rolleyes:.

All the best at the races and everything else!

cheerio,

-gabe