jasonk1970

Plafit Gt3

I know there are a lot of guys building or have built Plafit Gt3 cars so thought I would start a thread. Great starter 1/24 class. For those that don't know here are the basic specs

Plafit 1700sr chassis standard no additional parts allowed and running bushes front and rear

Body scale auto using Plafit screw on mounts

Original glass and full interior

13mm rear tyres, fixed gear and fox motor

IMG_20141011_103710_zpsgkcmeyxf.jpg

IMG_20141011_103753_zps1t1ewg3o.jpg

IMG_20141011_103800_zps23whvanz.jpg

Nice color scheme , can't wait to see it on the track. The Brisbane guys have jumped into this class. The Modern GT class (open chassis,open body stoping short of prototype) is very popular and a club favourite at Narangba and Red Racer. There has been growing discusion of an entry level restricted version of this class to accomodate the variety of scaleauto bodies available while at the same time providing an easy leg into 1/24 racing.

As an entry level class it doesn't get any easier , pull the chassis out of the box and bolt a body on and start racing. No additional body parts or modifications and same with the chassis, no upgrade parts required to make then perform . Standard parts out of the box all the way down to the oilites. I've even resisted the usual blue printing to get a true idea of out of the packet performance. I ran mine on Friday night at RR and had a ball.

IMG_0543_zps3a9c8da7.jpg

IMG_0544_zpsfbb31d8b.jpg

These cars are a lot of fun to drive with very even performance. Parts are readily available with a great support network nationally.

Totally Awesome !!!

Edited by paulthetexan

Finally finished my BMW GT3 car and did some testing at Narangba. Started with 13mm tyres and the car was good but lacked a little grip in slow speed corners with the weight of the body (61g) making it slide around on corner exit. I built it with all original parts supplied in the kit including the large spacers for the H-Plate. I changed to a 16mm tyre and put 1.9mm spacer at back of H-Plate and this made the car much better, it drove fast corners like a mini-Z and had much better traction in slower corners. It will still step out under acceleration but I think high torque of Fox IV motor and heavy body will just be a trait of these cars. Best thing about the way these cars will handle will be that the sprung front end when tuned correctly wont roll out of the slot like the scaleauto cars do, slide spring forward to stiffen up and backwards to soften.

Found I had mount front axle holders opposite to what I normally do to get enough guide clearance for the short nose on the BMW and also assembled body mounts upside down to get body to sit at right height without using any spacers.

Was surprised how smooth the car is despite having oilites, also found there is no need to add any led to bring up to weight. Total weight of my car is 177g with plafit gears, chassis adjusters and wheel inserts with brake detail. Will be interesting to see what the other bodies weigh in comparison to the BMW.

Really excited about this class it will be a drivers class with the Box Stock Rules, fixed gear and low start up cost. Look forward to seeing all the others ones that are around.

IMG_20141029_123806_zps5ogswrow.jpg

IMG_20141029_123756_zps6vg5l47x.jpg

IMG_20141029_123829_zpscoivofni.jpg

Edited by jasonk1970

The chassis being used is the latest release of the plafit chassis. Base plate is longer and thicker has blue t-plate, has adjusters that can run double spring cups which allows you to run two springs in the front end. Its the big brother to the historic chassis.

These two chassis have set lap records at all the tracks in brisbane and that is against all the European chassis in various different classes including open chassis its not the same old.

Devil's Advocate?????? First post , What's your usual name ?

GT3 is simply an entry level GT car for people new to 1/24 racing. Very basic spec level. That's all. Cheap and cheerful.

As for same chassis same motor..............This is at the heart of model car racing that some 1/24 racers don't understand. The 1/32 boys get it and have a ball running many many many classes with the same motor and chassis design. Garage level club racing out numbers comercial venue racing 10 to 1 and my impression is the guys love running the same stuff in each class year after year. It's the variation in body styles and dimensions that make the difference in driving and performance. It's not about how fast or how many exotic chassis variations you can come up with or cut on your new cnc router.................

Some people get it and some people don't get it.

The vast majority of guys like the variety in body styles that is driving model slotcar racing over the last 10 years.

Last time I looked there were 8 Plafit classes , most people can count that far without too much trouble.

Edited by paulthetexan
  • Upvote 1

I actually think the idea of this class is pretty good... I just dont get why its trying to be another Scaleauto class and having to buy a $100 painted body instead of a white kit.. Or even why it's not just simply an amateur Mini Z class.

I voiced my opinion a few years ago that Mini Z's should be limited to the very chassis rule that is now being used in GT3. One chassis, oilites only no sidepan or chassis options. I think to make it work really well maybe a better option is a Pro / Am Mini Z class.

Obviously Pro is the current Mini Z class but there are so many drivers out there that do a pretty good job of driving and setting up their cars that never win a trophy because they're up against the best Scale racers in the country. After a while, despite their best efforts and not winning something for the mantle piece they lose interest. The Pro Status is simply any driver that's won or placed at an APC, MCN or State series.

As Paul says, to a lot of guys its all about the variety of body styles and cars looking good so the 13mm tyres and standard rim size also is a good thing, The "rubber band" tyres and "slippery" bodies that dominate the APC would be excluded from the Am class. Am guys would still have the option to compete in Pro but I'm sure if they picked up a trophy in the Am class at the APC they would be very excited.

Edited by axman

It is the best of what two very good 1/24 manufactures have to offer. A beautiful scaleauto body and the closest to a 1/24 rtr chassis that I can think of!?!?

So a rtr Scale auto is $155ish and add a lexan, bearings and wheels the total is $242ish.[ I just bought all this]

How much is a gt3? Body $110+Chassis $110+Motor $10 = $230ish if my maths is correct, saving $12. Wow! For a car that's not national and dare I say it, lesser spec [motor-bearings] Hmmmm.

Good luck.

as usual a thread has been ripped down by the haters and knockers. this thread was those people interested in the class not for people to knock it and give their opinion of other classes.

Just to clarify you can get one of these on track for around $200 with all the parts no extras needed they run full interior and come with foam trued tyres front and rear. They don't need to be trued or straightened and all parts are quality ready to race. Was not intended to be compared to scaleuto class but if you must they seem to lap a little faster than one and only 4 tenths off a Modern GT time.

Guy's if there are problems with people hijacking threads in a non constructive way, (ie slandering products or abusing people) let us know via pm and we will just remove the comments. Don't take it personally they can go play with their own toys somewhere else. I don't mean constructive criticism of course we all have differing views.

The Devil has gone but may re-appear in another form, he is a sneaky creature and likes to attack anonymously.

Vince

No Hate/No knocking was used or intended in my post,just rough accounting. They are strong words often used by crooks and little blokes that like bigger ladies.

With your post on 29/10/14 just making the non accountant in me do some sums.

Sorry mentioned it. Good luck with the class.

My only comment is it would be nice to have a class for the Am's. The GT3 rules are fine as they are (except for the factory painted body ruling.. why? ) and the ease of mounting to a Scaleauto is ideal for newbies.. so why let the pro's come down to this class and plunder.

Mind you, I think there should be an allowance for old pro racers like me and Jimmy to enter this class when we get to retirement age. :lol:

I like the idea of the class but to be honest haven't we got enough GT classes already?I am not knocking the class as i like the Plafit chassis but a cheaper alternative would be a V8 Supercar class using Patto's bodies and decals.I have built a couple of these cars and they are very quick and handle very nicely.