So You Want To Build A Lotus 24

Ember

You could unsolder the tube that the guide sits in and move it down instead...

It will be tricky to get lined up just right though.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tube was my addition. Originally put it on the bottom, but then referred to an 'expert build' to find I had it in the wrong place. So I moved it. Shouldn't have bothered. I'll try a Ninco guide tomorrow. If that doesn't do the job I'll move the tube again.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

At least I can do something useful with a hot iron. I don't do well with shirts. ;)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

So many people tell me that they can't solder. It is all too hard. Seems like that haven't tried. I'm looking at (with maybe another) making up some basic chassis for our club to try - will certainly with my house cars.

A good iron, decent solder and some flux and it's not hard. To get the fine detail work, esp the springs, that takes skill. You are being congratulated!

Thank you.

Apart from the last 12 months or so fiddling with a couple of chassis ideas, I'd not done much soldering. The only real experience was a bit of stained glass work at uni.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

You can now see why I suggested that the front axle hole needed moving up in the BWA bracket. Gets the chassis lower and the guide further into the slot.

Before you do much more chech the tyre diameters are close to the minimum size for the rules. Reducing their diameter will get the guide further down.

Just my opinion,and its difficult to do now as you have used the front bracket,but if you could reset the front axle you would get the chassis down a bit lower and give you good depth on the guide.

Terry

Terry is a modest bloke! Even if you use a spring under the guide.

I have never used the bwa front bracket because of its promotion of high center of gravity and limitations to guide lead length.

Even at minimum front wheel diameter of 19.05mm and 1.6mm chassis clearance for VRAA/Tasman spec, the bwa front bracket leaves the chassis rails close to 4mm, when what the bench mark to strive for is 1.6mm. Not to say that some guys are able to get cars to perform well using it, but, may not be the preference of some who are consistently fast.

You've done really well Ember,its good to see you facing the bloody trueth of building these little bastids, keep up t good work. :rolleyes:

I chose the BWA bracket because it seemed the simplest way and I had one in stock. A David Lawson chassis using them seemed like a good idea too for a first effort.

I'll sort something out regarding the guide. Just pleased to be getting somewhere with building something that looks even remotely like these delicate little beasties.

Fortunately, I received the new motor I ordered for my Tire Razor yesterday so I an probably tackle cleaning up the tyres a bit.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I suppose I may sound a little "modest", however it wasn't that long ago I started to build these little cars and at times I found the experience a little daunting,I too started off using the BWA front and rear brackets,it was a much easier path for my first builds, I quickly realised that my cars were not competitive, and with that I started to not use the brackets,some success did come,but it has to be a one step at a time approach.

Good on you Lyn for starting this build it is very satisfying to get to the end regardless of the results.

It is all about the build!

Very impressing build so far , you're soldering is way better than mine!

Terry

Edited by terry

Thanks Terry. We'll see by the end of it whether or not I'm prepared to tackle another of these little gems again. I really know nothing about these cars. It gets a little difficult when the 'experts' talk about this and that by name and I have to decipher which particular bit they're talking about. :)

I'll just be happy to be able to say I can do it. I'll worry about competitive for future builds if they happen.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Now that Christmas craziness is over I've been able to get back on deck with the Lotus. Ranch Design gears arrived, and nicely engineered they are too. I can understand why people recommend them for builds where space is at a premium.

The front tyres spent a lot of time on the Tire Razor and got ground down from just over 21mm to a bit closer to the minimum, around 19.5mm. I changed the guide from the white NSR one to the Slot.it one. It's a little bit bigger but seemed to fit better. Even with these changes the front still needed a little adjustment though. Seeing as I had the soldering iron hot to do that I decided I'd tackle the front arms again as the left side was still a little out of proportion with the right and rubbing on the tyre.

So, I picked up a scrap of wire and the pliers and in under 30 seconds had a part that almost perfectly matched the right one. Proof, I guess, that the third time's the charm.

With a single mounting post in place and a little tweaking the Lotus is now about ready for some paint.

mounted_side_zps87dd8b6e.jpg

mounted_front_zpsd5dcecc9.jpg

mounted_back_zps5e0f063f.jpg

Mike Spence is sitting in for Sir Jack at this point in time. Jack is undergoing some reconstructive surgery before he gets bathed in silicon. Marc is hoping to have him available for the end of January.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I used the spring from a disposable lighter in the end. I did try winding my own springs with nickel silver wire, but after dropping the fourth or fifth one decided it was getting too expensive.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Hmmm... Feeling a little flat suddenly over this build. Unfortunately my Immense Miniatures Jack Brabham won't be available for the drive. Really disappointed as that was the reason for starting this saga.

So... Do I continue with the apple green car and let a generic head play the part of Black Jack? Or, do I turn this into another car altogether?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Just contemplating changing driver completely, Nino Vaccarella maybe.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Thanks for the offer Mark. But I have plenty of stock currently.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Chin up, Ember - take a breath and smell the roses for a short spell.....

Focusing on something else for a short (very) spell might afford you a different angle of attack - rather than make a decision in haste which you might regret.

I often make harsh spontaneous decisions and resolve that I won't "cut and thrust" again after suffering demeaning attempts to regain enthusiasm - it doesn't prevent me from repeating such decisions however.... I'm a bit like the person who will spend the rest of his life trying to go the wrong way through a revolving door...

Your build is so far ahead of mine, you could sit "pat" for quite a while whilst I "un-lap" you..... heaps of time until April.... I should be on the emergency list.. never know, I might just get one of these little Coopers on the same track as this wonderful Lotus build of yours..

frats,

Rosco

I was desperate to get some colour on it the other day while the weather was good. Thought about black undercoat for Scuderia red, but veered back to apple green at the last moment. There is something not right with a red Lotus.

So, the little blossom got a spray of Lotus yellow as a base for the apple green. Needs a bit more before I go to the candy green. Had hoped to do it today, but the wind is hideous.

HL is flying his first shift of fire spotting today. I think he's going to be in for a rough ride.

Got to learn to use an airbrush all over again with the new Badger. Even running at 10 PSI I'm inclined to get too much paint. Will have to do some practice.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Thanks Phil. Control on the Anthem is so fine in comparison to the old Paasche. Clean up is about 100 times easier too. It'll just take me a little while to get the hang of it.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

OK folks.... we have colour!

colour_zpsd40a90d7.jpg

colour2_zps51a3ce6f.jpg

Clear green shot over Lotus yellow. Not completely happy with it. A little bit 'watermelon' striped but I'll get used to the hair trigger on this Anthem if it kills me.

Next a bit of detailing with an old fashioned paint brush before shooting some clear coat in preparation for a couple of decals.

Apologies for less than perfect photos. The new camera and I are not bonding as well as I'd hoped.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg