So You Want To Build A Lotus 24

Ember

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikon D7100 to replace my 12 year old workhorse Canon EOS 10D. Even buying a new EOS would've been starting over due to a format change on the lenses. So I decided on a clean break. But surprisingly, I find the Nikon to be more temperamental when it comes to low light levels than the old Canon.

18-105mm zoom and a 70-300mm to give me the range I had with the Canon. Thinking of adding a dedicated macro to the kit. And I was lucky enough to pick up a second hand unused macro speedlight for about a quarter of the retail price.

Just got to take some time to learn my way around it. 62mm lens filters are nice and pricey. But I have dedicated tethering software which I miss from my early days with the EOS.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hmmmmm... macro - now there's a thought.... I'm just using the 17~85 Canon zoom.....I zoom to the full 85 then I come up as close as the AF will allow.

I do try to keep the aperture up as high as I can... but, unless I go into total manual - "something" in the camera software seems to stuff up the lighting.....

Great colour, Ember... I haven't been game to try a dual action brush..

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Rosco, invest in a set of 'close up' filters. it might help a little on the close up side of things.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

• 2 months later...

OK. Now that the pesky Porsche is out of the way it's time to get back to the Lotus.

I had a little trouble when fitting some mesh to the engine cover of the first Lotus shell and managed to break it. Attempts to repair it were rather unsuccessful. So, when the replacement shell arrived I had to go through the filling and priming and sanding all over again. I did take the opportunity to make a couple of corrections from the previous effort. I squared up some of the openings, though there was one major adjustment that I intended to do but forgot about.

gp_monaco_1962_001_zps02556045.jpg

tumblr_mkswa7a6yh1r53nlzo1_1280_zps94367015.jpg

Anyway. Too late for that now.

The shell has been painted and decaled. The Lotus decal on the nose is a bit big, but it's the same size as the one with the kit, but this one has better detail.

decals_zpsab5olulc.jpeg

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Immense Miniatures managed to get Jack mastered and cast in time for him to take his seat in the Lotus, so the last day has been spent preparing him for the task.

Jack's head got a quick clean up and spray with primer and under painting of a medium skin tone before shadows were added with a very watered mix of dark blue and silver for the helmet.

2015-03-18%2017.04.24_zpsr6ehjj5y.jpg

From there I go in with translucent version of the original medium skin tone and blend the shadows back into the base, then highlight with a the same skin tone mixed with a little white. The lot was the given a quick spray of matte clear before the lenses were added with Microscale Krystal Klear.

2015-03-18%2017.07.03_zpsfyusizqg.jpg

While the lenses were drying I gave the body a quick lick of paint.

2015-03-18%2017.06.12_zpsglzwcgtm.jpg

When the lenses were dry they got a touch of Tamiya smoke to tint them. His helmet received a coat of Tamiya clear, the visor stayed matte, but I put a dob of clear on the three studs. I also painted his fingers to make the gloves look more like those worn by Sir Jack.

2015-03-18%2017.07.48_zpsrone99nd.jpg

And lastly a test fit in his seat.

2015-03-18%2017.08.36_zpsx3gipvb1.jpg

Still to paint and fit inserts, finish the rear exhausts, turn down the rear wheels slightly and find a steering wheel.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Great work, Ember.

You have brought Sir Jack to life... I am very keen now to purchase some of these characters... and will do so in the very near future.

I persevered with Bill... not good, but a lot better than what I started with... do better next year.

Staying at Cape Paterson for five nights now with the caravan club... took a drive past the local racing track... where one of the upcoming Tasman series events will be held.. but there weren't any practice sessions taking place... so, drove off for fish'n'chips for dinner and enjoyed them down at the rock boat ramp... overlooking the ocean and thwarting the efforts of the local gulls to entice us to feed them...

So, your build is taking great shape... heaps of time now for you to complete the Lotus and bring it up to competition tune....

Please keep this thread regularly up to date... we missed your updates whilst you have been focused on other commitments...

frats,

Rosco

• 5 weeks later...

A minor glitch with the windshield. I cut is a little short and didn't have a replacement piece. I've probably also left a little too much on the bottom when trimming it. Other than that it went on ok. I taped it in place using some Tamiya masking tape on the outside and ran a bead of Formula 560 around the inside. When that was dry I removed the tape and ran another bead around the outside.

Jack has been glued onto the motor and any void backfilled with light putty.

On the whole, I'm mostly satisfied with it for a first effort, but I hope I'll do better with the next one.

07_finished_zpsc3teo79a.jpg

06_finished_zpsvl9rhj5k.jpg

05_finished_zpsuv0dpxhz.jpg

02_finished_zpsopzbta6u.jpg

01_finished_zpskrpmwugq.jpg

The stats:

Shell: Penelope Pitlane

Inserts: Resin by Munter

Driver:  Immense Miniatures

Motor: SRP 16k slimcan

Wheels: front BWA 15" narrow - rear RS Slot Racing 15" narrow

Tyres:  Paul Gage urethane

Guide: Slot.it with MB Slot braid

Gears:  Ranch Design 9:24

Weight: 55.5g

It seems to run ok on my wee track. Could possibly do with XPG rather than standard PG tyres on the rear, but my track is a little neglected lately. Having never driven anything of the sort it's really not easy to judge the success of the build in that respect. In my brief test run I wasn't able to shake it out of the slot which is a good sign, I suppose.

So, Jack has now left the building on his way to tech inspection for the Tasman Cup.

A bit of a tidy up. Finish off a few other builds and I might have to start on next year's entry.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Pleased that it's finished. But you know how it goes. You finish something and you only see the mistakes and areas that could be improved upon.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Great job Lynne,

The car sits right and looks just as it should, in a lot of ways the actual performance is secondary,scratch building can be stressful I know with my first attempts at scratch building all I wanted was for the car to perform so it wouldn't be an embarrassment.

I'm sure you will see room for improvement and that will come,for now you can be happy with a very neat little car,well done!

Terry

I am looking forward to seeing how it fares against the rest of the field. I'm actually a little bit excited about this proxy, haven't felt that way about the last few.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg