Ember

So You Want To Build A Lotus 24

It seems I've been given a Penny Pitlane Lotus 24 kit to build. I know precisely diddly squat about this kind of car. I was going to say I don't know one end from the other, but I'm guessing the pointier end goes to the front. :)

I'd be really grateful of any advice, tips and suggestions on how to go about the task.

I'd set my heart on building the Climax powered car that Jack Brabham ran for the first 5 races of the 1962 season before his beautiful turquoise BT3 was ready. Immense Miniatures will hopefully have their portrait head available some time in October. But I can find very few photos of the actual car, even in the books I have on Jack there's very few shots of the 24 and most of them are in black and white. Fortunately some discussions with Barry Boor have given me a fair idea of the type of green Brabham's car should be. The green candy I used on my IPS Cunningham over a cadmium yellow should come close enough. But colour and painting are the easy bits as far as I'm concerned.

The instructions with the PP kit are fairly non-existant. I guess folding up the origami chassis is the best place to start. But no idea where to go from there.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

The original intention was probably Tasman Cup. But even to do build it for myself, I've really no idea. Proxy rules really govern things like motor selection and wheel width more than building the actual car itself. I did expect there to be a bit more information with the kit.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Yes well, given the my previous experience with a PP kit, that's a big question mark.

I guess I was really after a little bit beyond that towards the detailing side of things. I mean the shell and chassis (and wheels) are a long way from looking like a complete car.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Not great pics of one of Jacks restored 24's.

http://forums.autosp...-1962-lotus-24/

He had 3 Lotus 24's, one from the Factory with a 4 cylinder Climax,a seconf 4 cylinder assembled from parts and the third was the Climax V8 version.

This car looks like it may be very fine metalic BUT other pics from Goodwood and historic racing it appears to be just a lighter shade of BRG.

Found this small image:

gallery_89_1829_393.jpg

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Someone suggested BP green was a good starting point. That shot over a dark grey primer might be enough to tone the brightness down a little.

I have a book on early 60's GP cars on the way. I know there are heaps of photos on the net but I always get lost. So many aren't what you actually searched for... or they're mislabled. In a search for 'Lotus 24 Climax' yesterday I think there were only 3 search returns that were 24s. The rest were 18s or 25s or 33s or BRMs or Coopers or whatever.

Still waiting on a brass order needed for another project that I put in on Friday, so I suppose I've got a bit more time to spend wondering over this one.

I suppose like everything else I'll make it up as I go along. Are there any plan drawings of the 24 that anyone is aware of?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Points go to Munter for suggesting that the chassis recommended for the kit wouldn't fit the body without adjustment. Definitely not going to be bothered with another Penelope Pitlane origami chassis after this. By the time the end is cut off the box there is not anything much to give it strength. May yet finish up tackling my own for it whenever my brass order arrives.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Wheedle? WHEEDLE?? Surely you mean charm.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Ok. So far I feel like I've been doing nothing but taking bits off the shell. Time to work at putting things back.

To add wire mesh to cover vents or whatever, am I better to try to just try to thin the edge to of the outlet to give an appearance of thinness or to try to cut a "ledge" on the inside to try to fit the mesh to?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Yeah. Ok. I'm thinking too hard. But... I usually do.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Thanks Phil. I think narrowing it might be a step too far for me this time around.

Chassis... Square section brass tube for strength or piano wire for lightness?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Hi Ember.

Phil's advice is no doubt spot on but I have used 1/16 brass rod which also seems to perform fairly well. I have kept with latter as very easy to solder and available locally.

Regards Chas Le Breton

The brass rod does work and I have built many many chassis' using it but.....there is something different about piano wire.

The first thing is it can be more difficult to solder...not impossible just needs a little more attention.

The second thing is it gives a torsion to the chassis that the brass lacks and this can make a big difference.

Two simple rails of .620 wire will do the job really well although the thinner gauge might be better...gives more flex.

Regards

ps @ Charles ...piano wire should be available over there in NP, no?

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Hmmm.... Not sure what piano wire I've got currently other than 3/32.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

How much for a slightly used Penelope Pitlane origami chassis ?

no photos

is this the build on FB?

I really should get myself one of those honeycomb blocks - was it $15 shipped from Perth?

DM

This is where it stands at the momet.

01_Lotus_zpsc72585c8.jpg

I'll be using an Immense Miniatures driver and hopefully a Jack Brabham portrait head if it is released in time.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg