Which Digital System To Purchase

wombat

Well.... There's the 64 thousand dollar question. It rather depends what you want out of it and how much you're prepared to spend.

If you're wanting a routed track then Scorpius is without doubt one of the best options out there, but it's perhaps not for the budget conscious. www.scorpiuswireless.com.

Or you could go for a hybrid system and put Scalextric digital bits into a routed track, either by grafting the gubbins into the wood work or by embedding the plastic digital pieces into the wooden roadway.

If you're looking to invest in modular plastic track and digital then the best thing would probably be to look at what is being run around you. If you have any wish to join in with others in the area it would be preferable to run the same system so that you can take your cars to their tracks and vice versa.

Scalextric Sport Digital is probably the most popular system around. It's been improved along the way by enthusiastic aftermarket tinkering by fellow slot nuts. Scalextric are currently in the process of some "new developments" which may take a little while to hit Australia.

SCX are supposedly completely reworking their digital system. But they've not released any real information in the last 12 months.

I've not had anything to do with either Carrera or Ninco digital systems. Hopefully someone else can chip in on those.

The thing is, as with everything slots you'll get a plethora of different opinions as to why "X" is the best digital system available.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi, I am a bit biased in this seeing I have had Scalextric since 1964 so as far as I am concerned Scalextric would be the way to go.But in the end you have to look at the different systems and decide what will do what you want to do with a digital set and what would be the best for that.As Ember said you will get heaps of different opinions so weigh them up and see what suits you.

If I had to pick the best, I would probably go with scaley as it's cheaper, functionally better, and easier to get.

A close second would be Ninco, but I'm not sold on the very rough track surface, or the dead strip lane changers.

SCX wouldn't currently be an option, and getting parts is getting hard, and chipping other brand cars is near impossible.

Carrera wouldn't be an option, as it's 1/24 track, amd as such it takes up far too much space.

Personally, I went with Scalextric as that's what my brother had.

On top of that, Scaley is easy to get here...

Scaley is the only system (plactic track) that seems to be continually developed with the 3rd gen 6 car powerbase looking to hit the shelves at some stage next year...

On the technical side, Scaley has the best resolution controllers, and the best brakes.

Also, ff you get the advanced powerbase (and I would insist on it), it also runs just as well in analog mode.

Here is a great comparison article, but it is a little old and possibly out of date...

http://www.scottlewi...n_features.html

Another decent comparison article...

http://www.electricdreams.com/Slot-Car-Collecting-and-Racing-News/slot-car-tech-news/comparing-race-sets-and-track-systems/

But yes, it's a very subjective decision, and I also second the idea of checking what digital clubs you have in the area, checking them out, and see which system you like the best...

Edited by shadow_rusty

I do not run digital at all, but do keep up with it and have run in several systems.

Top of the line is Routed with Scorpious second is Scalex plastic or routed.

You need to look where you get good back up and options.

Scalex has a wealth of back up around the world and on most Forums.

Scorpious is Australian with good back up.

Before you buy think what you actually want,and what you want to do with it.

A scaley digital PowerBase will cost you (6 car base)

approx $259 + 2 wired controllers $58 + 2 car chips $54 = $371 Pc lap scoring > + USB cable $70 Au (including postage from UK) + RMS

Scorpious 2x wireless controllers $308 +2 car chips $64 =$372 Pc lap scoring > + Dongle and 1 Lane brain $110 + RMS (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Food for thought

www.sydneyslotcars.com

Best way to get into Scaley digital is to get the digital platinum set...

~$600 gets 2x Lane Changers, 1x 6 car advanced powerbase, 6x Controllers, 6x Chips, 6x Cars and some track to join it all together...

Also, if you shop around, you should be able to get the 6 car advanced powerbase for under $200...

Yes you are right...

None come with the APB on it's own, but 2 come with the platinum setup...

That said, most Toshiba 15v laptop power supplies have the correct plug and are very cheap.

If it has the wrong plug, a new plug is only a couple of dollars too...

• 2 months later...