Motor Brackets

Ember

Does anyone local sell or have the ability to manufacture brass motor brackets for chassis building? Seems ridiculous to have to purchase something so simple from overseas.

Even just a mounting plate that could be soldered in place?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Just seems silly that there's not something similar available in Aus. Trying to get anything from Art tends to be a bit of a joke anyway.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

It can be a good experience to make them yourself.....good in what way you ask?

Cost effective, learning the design and engineering principles involved, and then knowing that you can do stuff that works.

• Upvote 1

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

I don't have a drill press Munter. I tried to make a mount plate with the stupid Dremel drill press and that's just laughable.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Already in discussion with Ian. Has anyone got any samples other than the BWA ones? I suggested them as a good starting point, both the motor bracket and the guide mount, as they are no longer readily available and many seem to rely on them.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

BWA was one that I knew many people relied on. I have a set of guide holder and motor mount. But I was wondering about something for other motors too. At the moment I'm using slimcans because I seem to have a small car thing at the moment. But I have plenty of other shells that will handle an S-can or an FK with heaps of room.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

2 pieces of piano wire per side, folded to take an axle tube. Solder to motor to the wire the right distance to mesh the gears. I use an 80w or 120w iron and Bakers fluid to ensure a strong fast join.

Align with a set of calipers.

Haven't used a bought one since the late seventies...

The first two chassis that I made I soldered the motor in place. I'd rather be able to change the motor. That's the main reason why I want a mounting plate.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Hi Embs,

I made this motor bracket with a piece of brass, hammer, vice and a hand drill.

Lotus16013.jpg

I have since drilled another two holes on the opposite diagonal to what is already pictured for the motor screws so this motor bracket can take a Scaley F1 motor or a Solarbotic motor (and probably a few other types also).

The brass tube for the rear axle is put through the axle holes as a full length and cut once you have soldered it in place so that it sits level. This motor bracket was used with BWA oilites which were fitted into the ends of the brasss tube.

Once youv'e made one they are quite simple from there.

Matt