Sign in to follow this  
stocaz

Whats The Biggest Motor That Will Run On A Standard Scalley Track?

HI

There is a reason your friend "gave" you that motor, it's useless to you.

I wouldn't run anything bigger than 21.5k, but smaller motors are more fun.

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Thanks for that :(

Why is that ? Is it because a motor of that size draws too many amps for the standard set ?

Will a bigger power supply fix the problem ?

Cheers

It's not the power supply that is the issue, It's that your track and car will not handle that much RPM

If an 18k motor goes let's say 28kmph, a 46k motor will go 72kmph.

How well will your car and track cope with that kind of increase in speed?

Your car will become un-drivable, un-controlable and useless to you.

Can you imagine what a VW would be like with a bugatti verron motor in it??

There are better ways to make your cars go faster, you will find them a lot more fun if you can get them to handle the corners better, rather than have them "flying" down the straights.

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

On home tracks the straights aren't long enough for a 46k motor to stretch it's legs. Even on commercial tracks the fastest cars are using motors between 25k and 30k (unless you're racing 1/24th scale).

The only time I've used a 46k motor AND set decent lap times is running multiple magnets on a commercial track. It needed lots of magnets to keep it on the track.

May the downforce be with you.

Thanks for the replies, I understand a 46k motor is far too big for a home track... im not looking for the fastest car or lap just want to see the difference in power from low to midrange compared to the 21k in the car at the moment.my mosler 25k has alot more power out of the corners than the 21k and wanted to try it out. Thats all.

So will the standard power supply & slot.it sp15 chip be able to handle the bigger

motor ???

Hi Stocaz.

I recall 4-5years ago one of the Wellington slotties had a 40000rpm NSR motor in Muscle car class at NZ Nats. It was all but undriveable. I would not recommend. Agree with other comments.

Something else to consider is braking. Some of these fast motors have poor brakes.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Thanks for the replies, I understand a 46k motor is far too big for a home track... im not looking for the fastest car or lap just want to see the difference in power from low to midrange compared to the 21k in the car at the moment.my mosler 25k has alot more power out of the corners than the 21k and wanted to try it out. Thats all.

So will the standard power supply & slot.it sp15 chip be able to handle the bigger

motor ???

By the looks of this, you are running Scaley digital.

If so, the SP15 chip from memory is rated to about a Slot.It 25k.

If you have an advanced powerbase, I wouldn't run the 40+K motor in analog mode either as you will be risking the mosfets...