Greg2354

Scalextric Platinum

Hi all.

I was hoping to buy a Scalextric Digital Platinum set, but no-one in SA seems to have stock. The new set will be released later this year, near Christmas, but I don't want to wait that long! I thought about buying the individual parts, but have checked out the prices here and it works out quite a bit more expensive. I have also checked prices from the U.S. for Power Base, 5 x Lane Changers, 6 x Controllers, 1 x RH Pit Lane, 4 x Digital Chips and PC Cable which works out less than the Platinum Set. I can also buy Toshiba PSU's locally for about $25 each. I know I get the extra cars and track with the set, but I already have 2 sets and plenty of DPR cars I can use. Also thought about buying a Thundering V8's set for the extra track pieces or just keeping an eye out for some secondhand bargains. What to do guys?

Greg

i have no idea what shipping would be or the going rate for the set.....but armchair seems to have it in stock

http://www.armchairr...-platinum-8-55m

edit; post $51(uninsured) to $66(insured)

Edited by Mobbzee

Thanks Mobbzee

Will check it out. Still about $100 more than the items listed above. I could still order extras from the U.S. that are not available here.Can't believe how cheap some of their prices are! Postage can be a killer if not careful.

Greg

If you already have 2 medium to large sets, you probably have about all the R2's you'll need...

Possibly time to start looking at R1/R3/R4's, but unfortunately, no sets come with those...

Digital is very cheap in the US, but analog isn't a great deal different.

That said, postage will destroy any chance of a good deal unless you have someone over there who can remove from packaging, re pack, and post via usps...

ps. I believe that the 'new' platinum equivalent set won't be released till next Christmas...

Edited by shadow_rusty

Great news!

I was able to pick up a Platinum Set, saving about $200. Just need to fix tyres on 2 cars, but everything else is almost brand new and working OK. Now I need to work out the menu system, it's damn confusing! Will have to read up and watch a few videos.

I like the look of RCS64 which has some cool features, especially variable speed pace cars, so will have to order a cable with some extra digital track pieces from U.S. Next is working out the layout using two 8X4 boards in an L shape. Have already posted a proposed track plan, but will use the track pieces I have from a couple of other sets and see what works. Should have up to 20 metres of track. I love the Dodge Vipers, and hope to have 6 racing at once, but I will have to retro fit chips to them. I guess a few late nights will be spent in the garage "working", and hitting up the forums.

Greg

Hi

Dodge vipers are great cars,they even have the two little posts in the chassis to hold the chip in place...but its for the c7006 variety which are now deleted,you can use c7005 instead but there is no option to run in car pro lights of these.

Spaghetti Mess = More Stress. .

Projects of Clown is a great laugh. 

I was able to pick up a Platinum Set, saving about $200. Just need to fix tyres on 2 cars, but everything else is almost brand new and working OK. Now I need to work out the menu system, it's damn confusing! Will have to read up and watch a few videos.

Hi,

These might make the menus clearer:

>Menu map

>C7042 Teminology

Chris