Sign in to follow this  
jphanna

Le Mans Movie (Steve Mcqueen)

I thought that as something to compliment my recent prchase a gulf Porsche nsr 917, the only logical thing to add to my excitement, was to watch the 1970 le mans movie with steve McQueen,. it just finished. wow, I needed that therapy. it is one of the best car movies ever.

things I noticed......the other popular slot car we race today ........ the slot it matra (it got smashed on the straights!!!), and the twitchiness of most of the cars in real life. even the dry, all the front runners had the azzes hanging right out in the early laps......then it rained!!

the other thing that was brought to my attention was next to the silky smooth sexy beautiful gulf Porsche......was how butt ugly the Ferrari was. the 917 looked as if it was designed by one person. the Ferrari looked like it was designed by a committee with plenty of pasta and red wine breaks. also toss in a few games of bocce..... in between committee meetings.

the 917 gulf looked so beautiful in that movie from every angle, that I was contemplating what looked sexier....a 917 GULF, or scarlett Johansson lying on my lounge on washing day?

it took me a while to decide.....scarlett just won (after a recount).

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

Has anyone compiled a list of..... "the must watch Race Movies"..... last decent car movie I've seen was Death Proof ... but was not a "race movie"..

I watched Grand Prix again the other night. Forgot how long it was.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I watched Grand Prix the other night aswell, it is a long movie, so long, my copy has a intermission in the middle of it. :)

Not sure how you put death proof and decent in the same sentence, but each to their own. ;)

you know what is a tradgedy.....the amount of hemi charger they destroyed in Dukes of hazard. about 25-30 of them.

bakc then, they were a dime a dozen. they pushing $1,000,000 for orig factory mint condition these days.

the amount of hemi charger they destroyed in Dukes of hazard. about 25-30 of them.

bakc then, they were a dime a dozen. they pushing $1,000,000 for orig factory mint condition these days.

try 248 were destroyed making the original series, some of the minor damaged one were cut up and welded back together and reborn to jump again.

they just didn't buy 426 hemi chargers, the general is a 440 magnum. the produces bought everything '69, slant 6, small blocks and big blocks. when they couldnt buy anymore 69's they started buying 68's

I watched Grand Prix the other night aswell, it is a long movie, so long, my copy has a intermission in the middle of it. :)

Not sure how you put death proof and decent in the same sentence, but each to their own. ;)

Well I think it's got one of the best chases (but I dont watch many movies)...... & the part when he's at the bar eating Nachos.... makes me hungry ^_^

10504945_939473066069639_703104697479844393_o.jpg

Just thought I'd post the cars I have from this movie although I forgot my NSRS ,,my favourite era,,or one of them!!!

great collection. love the box sets.

the white long tail Porsche, although not as pretty, was a lot faster than the gulf short tail porches. but it blew up not long into the race so whats the point of it?

Anyone seen this before??

Edited by mondeoman

If it doesn`t have wheels and an engine it`s not sport!

I have Super Speedway a doco made for Imax about Indy car racing and car development featuring the Andretti's and the Newman-Hass team. Best racing sound track ever, with the scream of the Cosworth V8. The making of special is well worth watching also.

An old classic short film is Rendezvous 1976 the greatest street racing film of all time.

Ray

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

2017 Plafit FLM Edurance Champion

Team Thunderbird

Getaway in Stockholm is another good short blast through the streets in the style of Rendezvous in a 911 .

Since the first one there are many Getaway in Stockholm films with different cars.

I like Rendezvous , had it fro years before I found out it was not as it seems, maybe.

Many myths surround this short film , like the driver, car and if the film maker was arrested after it was first shown due to the running of red lights, driving on footpaths etc.

Even not sure if revealing that the car driven was a 450 SEL overdubbed with a 275 GTB soundtrack is fact.

Still it`s great to watch.

Another great one is the RUF film Faszination of the 911 `Yellowbird` being driven sideways around the Nurburgring.

don't discount the huge car chase scene in blues brothers just moments before it collapses on the footpath.

one of may favs was a documentary called "In Car 956" it was in car footage with some commentary of 956 going around various tracks driven by Derek Bell. Makes you realise how hard the group C monsters were to drive.

Well John you have started something now, I am trying to tracking down all of these movies.

I have just started watching Grand Prix, and will order Winning on the weekend.

There is a real old film of Kirk Douglas's call The Racers 1955 which I am trying to track down now as well.

Ray

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

2017 Plafit FLM Edurance Champion

Team Thunderbird

Another great car film is TAXI - not the rubbish US remake , but the original from France by Luc Besson.

If you can find a copy with English subtitles - it is a blast - they went on to make 4 TAXI films (french) .

I have all 4 films with subtitles - took me a awhile to get the original copies - but I got them :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBnlCXi2WWA

Edited by mondeoman

Guys, last night was 'YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE' james bond, while footy was on. he was in Toyota GT driven by sexy Asian chick. for the whole car chase scene, the tacko/speedo was on ZERO and didn't budge, then at high speed, they turned a corner at what was a strong right hand sweeper.......and the steering wheel didn't budge!!!

is it conceivable that they were stationery and just had a background playing......in a big budget james bond movie?

Edited by jphanna

It's way more than conceivable. It's fairly typical.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

some of the little roads leading towards Le Mans have not changed much, as I found out this year.

Le Mans, WOW in 1:1.

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche