Another Gpdg Proxy Car

kalbfellp

This is my entry in the GpD 2014 Proxy race.This Proxy is an invitational event for early 3 litre F1 cars.

This is a model of the one race wonder Shannon Climax.

Paul emery obtain one of the 1959's 2.5 litre Climax v8 motors and increased it capacity to 3 litres and fitted fuel injection.

He fitted in into a car based on his Formula two chassis.

The cars only made one appearance and retired when one of the side tanks (fitted overnight) started to leak.

The car never appeared again although the motor did make one more appearance in another. chassis,

SideanLowes_zps8c64c04f.jpg

The body is all scratch built and cast in resin.The motor was built from drawinga nd pic in the Coventry climax book.

engineclose_zps54e52ee3.jpg

engine_zpscac1fca9.jpg

Chassis_zps4ffaf376.jpg

The chassis is a simple Flex plate design with the side rails controlling the flex around the centre pivot.

Not sure how it will compare to the Slo1quick variable wheel base design only time will tell.

Great work Phil, especially considering the true "Scratch" nature of the car......aren't you a bit late to the ball?

I have seen a few pictures elsewhere of the cars for this event but didn't notice this one.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Brilliant work Phil! Knowing the little there is to go by on this car, this build is extraordinary. Truly a one off unique build!

Especially like the detail off the motor and G/box, very intricate, great to see it on its way!

No doubt this is a very fast and nice car to drive, "Typically Tassie" has become a familiar term from us boys in North Mecico .

Good luck with the races! ;)

cheers

Hi Phil

Great work there too, I especailly like the cam cover detail.

I used to work with a bloke who was a mechanic with Paul Emery back in the sixties. he mainly talked about the Hillman Imps they raced but did mention an open wheeler a couple of times though he callled it an Emeryson if I remember correctly. I think that predates your car though.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

That's a really interesting choice of car, almost guaranteed to be unique, even with the Brits who are almost the most pedantic in their research of classic F1 cars. Those detailing touches to your car feature some of the best work I seen yet from you. This proxy was pointed out to me by a friend the other day and although I was very tempted to put in an entry, when I saw the quality of the entrants and their cars, I quickly realised I'd be in over my head on this one as there's no way I'd be able to come up with a car that's even near half as good as those entered. So as much as I would love to be able to have a 3-litre F1 car running in a proxy, I had to pass it up. To give forum members an idea of what I'm talking about, here's a photo of a Brabham BT24 entered from Germany:

post-4-0-59861500-1407243165.jpg

And here's Bruce McLaren's M7A:by Dave Wisdom of UK:

post-4-0-56762000-1407242993.jpg

Good luck with your entry, Phil.

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.