Glue Or D/s Tape?

Ember

A question for those of you who have been living with braid through both summer and winter. Which is the ultimate preference for durability for braid application? Does the 3M tape really hold well enough. I realize it must be considerably easier to lay in the first place, but how likely is it to come adrift over time and sustained use?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

It will be going onto brand new MDF most probably with a Suede or Tuscan painted surface. I think the room has aircon, I fully expect anything would need some re-gluing after a few years of use, but I don't want to have to contemplate re-doing it in 6 months or so.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I used the blue backed tape on my braid (not labelled 3M). I thoroughly cleaned it with shellite and painted the braid recess so it was sealed. You also need about 1mm gap from the edge of the slot to the braid so the car guides don't pull up the braid on corners. Roll the braid in hard with a wheel to get maximum adhesion.

I have had no issues so far, I don't run magnet cars with high down force though.

Most will swear by contact adhesive, the tried and proven method.

- Cam

Hoo Roo

It will be magnabraid for public consumption, hence the wish for best adhesion.

Not really contemplated paint surface much. But I figure I'll use Tuscan or Suede as I have on my tracks. Possibly with a low gloss clear over the top.

A secondary track will be smaller and scenic, possibly themed toward kids parties. It will definitely be done in the Tuscan for looks. But it is a couple of months down the track (badoom tish).

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I followed Cambers advice... No issue in the cold yet. Thoroughly cleaned the braid with shellite and non residue electrical cleaner. The slot was painted in gloss enamel for best adhesion. As a test, to lift the braid, the braid actually tore apart and was ruined. Very impressive adhesion. I hear you can buy the braid pre applied now. Rick Field is using on his track as well as a few others for reference. Also seen that contact adhesive is proven and is very durable. I was just concerned at the mess I would make with this... But given the proven record would probably be first choice if I could trust my application skills.

Dave

Edited by GTR XU-1

With Glue ..... (prey it doesn"t happen soon or often) but when braid does eventually lift..... sticking the braid back down is a simple job....

with Tape ..... how do you fix the small area if this happens.......

Another thought.... if I needed to remove "Glued" braid from the track i use concentrated heating to unstick ..... or soak braid in luiqids to clean.

How can "Taped" braid be removed from track if needed

taped my braid, had no issues at all , like others cleaned the braid with shellite before laying. was so easy an NO MESS. I glued my first track and wont glue again, 3M is the go

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

The other thing to consider when laying braid is to not pull it too tight...

All of the braid I've seen lifting is because it was pulled too tight in the corners...

OK. Looks like I'll be going for the tape method when I get the ok to start ordering and building.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Yup.That's very much the intent. Some things are worth the extra bucks for the convenience, and not having to deal with trying to get silicon paper to go around tightish curves..

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg