Proposed L Shaped Digital Layout

Greg2354

Hey guys I have been using an L Shaped Classic layout for about 6 months on 2 8x4 boards and would like some input if I was to convert it to digital. Track length is about 20 mtrs.

If I have uploaded it properly it should look like this!

http://i1252.photobu...zpse5caaa02.jpg

Not sure about the placement of the Lane Changers but wanted to use them all if I could. Couldn't get them all facing the right direction on the track planner!

Hope to use RCS64 or similar so will probably have to upgrade the Pit Lane.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Greg

DigitalLTrack_zpse5caaa02.jpg

If you are running magless, lane changers directly after a corner are frustrating to use...

Also, the straight lane changers are alot more useful than the curved ones.

Here's the changes I would start with...

The curved changer onto the main straight should be an out to in one so you can get to pits.

I would put a straight changer on the main straight, probably between the pit lane changers.

The other main change would be to create "Grahame's" swerve chicane...

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27270&view=findpost&p=312211

Nice pic of the Swerve Chicane...

From http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73418&view=findpost&p=827318

2014-01-10-1035.jpg

This is roughly what it would look like if I was to build your layout...

Scaley%20Digital%20Track%20for%20Greg2354.png

G'day Greg,

To add to shadow's ideas I would also get rid of the R2's just to the right above the pit lane allowing for a longer pit lane and a nicer flow, your pitlane can maybe even be made into a 2 lane pitlane at a later date.

If you are looking at getting the 6 car Advanced Powerbase then you will probably want to make use of the pace car function which allows you to run the 6 cars around the track either as ghost cars or controlled cars. Pace cars will only be able to go as fast as the slowest points on your track which in your case is the 3 hairpins. I liked having a hairpin in my track but I also like my pace cars to be quite quick so I removed the hairpin and replaced it with a more free flowing corner.

The one good thing about plastic track is that you can upgrade to digital, leave your layout as it is or change to suit what you like as you become more accustomed to digital.

cheers

Matt

I'm not a digital driver at all, but even in analogue, I'd be inclined to think you've got way too much track for the table. I know the temptation is to pile as much driving as possible into each lap, but I think the drive-ability and enjoyment of the track could be improved upon by a bit of simplification of the layout but adding more variety in your largely R2 corners.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I intially drew up the track without the kink, and it lost a large chunk of it's character.

Was a challenge to readd it, and still have space for borders...

One trick with pace cars is to give them a magnet plus good tyres, and then race them with a car without magnets.

The best option however, is to use a RMS with a variable speed pace car.

Embs, one of the things with digital is that the bigger the track, the less chance of multi car collisions...

Of course it doesn't stop them, but it does reduce them.

Ps. My current 3 second per lap track would be ok with 3 cars in digital, but more than that would be like peak hour...

PPS. Also, I made the assumption that as he wasn't using R3's / R4's, that he didn't have any...

Meh. The thing with plastic track is that you can buy more and keep changing the track until you like it.

I have had a go at digital, and I love the potential it offers. I do understand the theory behind the big long tracks, but the long complex track is harder to learn. If you set an easier track to learn people can learn the track and then actually make the best of the strategies available to digital rather than just switching lanes semi-blindly because they know there's a lane change.there somewhere. Also on a less complex track it's easier to keep an eye on where other cars are in relation to you, once again allowing you to make better use of the digital abilities.

More and more it seems like other versions of digital with anti-collision available is the best way to go.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Agreed, anti collision is a great addition... As is 'best' line...

They don't suit everyone, but they can be very useful tools...

I.e. on the track I posted here, you could set best line on the final changer to change to the inside to assist people in getting into the pit lane...

The other thing to consider is that as I read it, digital is being added to an existing track.

This has the advantage that the drivers already know the track, and only need to learn where the changers are, and the best places to block/overtake.

And yes I do agree with you, a simple track can be the best track...

I have a few ideas that would completely rework this track, but I didn't feel that was really the direction that he wanted to go...

I may yet post 1 up, just for shits and giggles...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Shadow Like the idea about putting the XLC in front of pits, Hadn't thought about that! The CLC before the main straight was supposed to be out to in but the track planner did not have the right track piece. Also like the hairpins. Adding borders to current layout will be a challenge, but I do have a couple of hundred fence sections sitting in a box. Interested to see your reworked track.

Mattcrackers Hope to buy a Platinum set so will have the 6 car powerbase. Will be using pace cars using a race management system with variable speed, so should be able to leave the hairpins in.Taking out the bend to right of pits will not only allow for longer pit lane but also speed things up.

Ember I have used up the track pieces I have, hence mostly R2 corners. Trying to save up for digital! I usually race alone however the son-in-law and grandsons have a lot of fun when they visit. Some cars are better than others, Vipers, LMP's, Veyron, Nascars OK, but V8's not so good. F1's way too fast for this layout. I wanted to use up as much track as possible including bridges and hairpins.

Greg, got to agree with everyone that there is too much track for the table.The return section is where I see the real problem. Yes, keep the bridge section if you like but get rid of the section with the hairpin under it. This will allow for a better drive and make it easier to smooth out the bridge as you are using plastic.

Stu

Old racers race harder