Slot.it Gtr Poor Handling Help !!!

stocaz

Hi all,just got my first Slot.it car and am loving the power compared to my scalextric cars but it handles terribly on my track :(

I just got a set of MJK Tyres for it which has helped a little but its still painful with it loosing the ass at fairly low speeds.

Any of you guys have some advice that might help keep the car on the track ?

Maybe a certain tyre that suits scalextric track or possibly something else ?

Thanks in advance

Ross

Okay, so you have a Scalextric track, and so you are used to the level of magnetic down-force Scaley cars provide.

This has less to do with tyre grip than to do with the magnets. You could have hard plastic tyres on your Scalextric cars and lose only maybe 20% - 30% of your "grip" The magnet does more work than the tyres.

Slot.it cars generally sit lower to the track than many Scalex cars, so the much smaller magnet in Slot.it cars, and the positioning (further forward), which decrease the effect, SHOULD be in part offset by the magnet being closer to the rails. But the magnet is positioned further forward in the chassis from the factory, so it provides a less "Stuck down" effect than Scalex ones do.

Putting MJK tyres onto a car doesn't change the scenario THAT much. So you need to start thinking about things other than tyre grip, especially if it is spinning out at low speeds.

First, put one of your best Scalex cars on the track, then lift the back end up with one finger..... think about the resistance, then the "break-away", how does the resistance feel. Then do the same with the Slot.it car. . . . probably a lot less.

Take the body off the Slot.it car, Is it possible to move the magnet to a "pocket" further backward in the chassis there is a pocket just behind the motor .... Do so, repeat . . ah, better.

Next, look at both cars side on, while sitting on the track, is anything on the Slot.it car "catching" perhaps on track joins?

Can you hear anything "scraping" as you drive it?

The less magnet down-force, the slower the "braking" effect going into corners., so also give consideration that the car being faster, you may be fooling yourself a bit about corner entry speed, and may need to "brake" earlier by removing trigger from throttle.

If needed, you can buy a CN07 "race" magnet which fits the same pocket, but has around twice the down force.

There's a start anyway.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

As for great tyres for Scaley sport track, the MJK's are some of the best out there...

One thing to check too is that you have enough ground clearance after changing the tyres...

With my scaley track, I've often found that I need to get a slightly larger tyre to raise my ground clearance.

In general, I try to get the cars to sit with about 1mm of ground clearance for scaley track, and about 0.5mm for a smooth routed track...

The other thing to consider is removing the magnets completely...

Takes ages to get used to, but then the slot.it will far outshine the scaley's...

Oh, and as an added bonus, power sliding is just so much more realistic / fun / awesome...

That's assuming he is running digital...

I changed to a 'RePete' parma with 14 steps, and it's leagues ahead of the standard scaley digital controller for control...

We had a similar question a while back and the obvious question wasn't asked until well into the conversation, and the question was .... what voltage are you running, standard scaley power plants can be as high as 16 volts

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Hi thanks for your replies, I am running digital with the standard scaley power a/c and have borders Most of the way round.

Dont know the car seems much better today it must have been me being a little heavy on the throttle or the tyres or something else settling in not sure....

sometimes, people (and i am very guilty of this), buy what is percieved the be a fast car with a pedigree to be one of the best, and we put it on the track and expect it to just drive itself.

faster cars need even more precision to be driven fast. but they will reward you if they are set up nice.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan