It's A Long Shot, But I'm In Desperate Need Of Help

Ember

Trying to exhaust local options (and quickly) before involving Dennis Napthine. Current Federal member is less than useless. Never thought I'd say it but I miss David Hawker.

I'm in a pickle because this is all under a NEIS programme with a set timeframe. Never mind the bureaucratic bungle between DHS, DEWR and NEIS provider that activated that too early.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously they don't want anyone to rent any properties, and would rather see the town die than compromise

You thought of getting an old bus and having a "mobile venue" free of council red tape ..... but i'm sure the STA would be just as annul

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

It doesn't really matter what the space is to be used for, it has to be done to put anything in the building. Currently trying to get the Council Knob to put in writing what can and can't be done and what they will accept so that I can approach the owner, hopefully not only with the problem but some potential solutions.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

The Salvos moved. Their op shop, which used to be across the road moved into a bigger shop (probably one that didn't leak). The SASHS relocated the following year. This building has been vacant for about 3 years.

But of course in typical real estate agent fashion (sorry Mr S) now that I am interested in it there is supposedly someone else who is also interested in it.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Hi Ember,

just an out there thought.

We some times have trouble with getting gear on and off fishing vessels, often need to go out side the square.

How about if you cut the tiles out at the width of the door and then continue inside the shop, (presume the floor is concrete).

from there make the ramp iinside the shop.

You would need rails around the edge of the void cut out inside,

Modify the door and then rails possibly out side to keep every one happy.

Just a though,

Paul :huh:

Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough

Trying to work on a solution. But anything adds to my budget, and makes it unlikely that I can go ahead.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Hi Ember

This may be a silly question , but I don't understand why you would require a 'change of use' D/A if you are only renting existing space. My understanding of the Building Code is that they can only insist on upgrading the Disabled Access if you are changing industry or doing Alterations or Additions to the building eg: from machine shop to office space etc. I would try arguing that the building remains a retail outlet and the Building Act doesn't apply in this case. They can only ask you to upgrade if you initiate an application and then it would be the building owner not the tenant.

Worth a try.

Edited by paulthetexan

I agree with your interpretation Paul, but it would seem that the council do not.

The space used to be office space. I wish to use it for amusements which seems to classify it as a "place of public assembly." Even were I to be changing it to a retail outlet the need to amend the access of the building supposedly still comes into play, although the need to provide a disabled toilet disappears..

I, foolishly it seems, thought I would be able to walk into an existing building that suited my needs, paint it, furnish it (let's face it, slot tracks are furniture, right? :) ) and use it.

It would seem that changing the style of business housed within a building is considered 'major building works' or at least it is in Queensland and NSW.

The way it was reasoned out to me here is much more convoluted and ridiculous. Under the Disability Access to Premises legislation 2010 an existing building does not have to be made accessible unless there are 'major works' being done to the building. The Building Services Manager (let's call him Knob) agrees with this. He had to. I hit him over the head with the paperwork. The Building Regulation 1011 says he can exempt me from access requirements at his discretion. But he countered with the following:

"Given the provision of Regulation 1011, should an exemption to be granted, the Municipal Building Surveyor must take into account- (B) the requirements necessary to make reasonable provision for- (i) the amenity of the building or place and the safety and health of people using the building or place.

This would include taking into account of any facilities required to serve the patrons as well as access. (It is possible that a claim under the Disability Discrimination Act could be made on the grounds of discrimination if access and facilities were not provided.)

Hence it would follow that a Building permit would be required to construct/provide the accessible WC and access from the principal entrance to that facility, this would also trigger the need for compliance with the provisions. At this point in time you have not submitted a written submission of your proposal. You have verbally indicated the setting up of slot car racing track/tracks for hire and the advertising of the venue for children’s party type events.

So... I would need to provide disabled toilets, the installation of which are major building work, therefore the front of the building must be changed to make it accessible.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

So... I would need to provide disabled toilets, the installation of which are major building work,

Not really ..... just disconnect the water from the existing setup ..... that should disable it

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Watch it Gazza

I have found that being sarcastic can lead to ridicule.

Very clever though .... I approve.

hahahahahahaha

Ooooh Gazza. You could well be onto something there. Now, if I can draw up the plans to do it and submit it to Mr Knob we could start moving forward. :)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Hi Ember, there is no easy solution to make a disabled ramp with that narrow frontage. It virtually makes for "unrentable space" if the council have it their way.

I have just finished a project with similar problems. Not only would you require the ramp but also have a legal handrail, but also a lower bump rail so the wheel chair cant fall off with 1 metre clear space (handrail to wall) and if the ramp has a 90 degree exit on either end you require an extra 1500 for the wheelchair to turn. (this allows for mobility scooters). Have you tried a local private town planner that can use other premices that have opened recently as an example that have set precedence without disable access. The thing that is against you is "place of assembly". Dont know your business model but it would be much easier to have as a retail outlet - with track for "testing purposes" if thats the direction you're going.

Edited by axman

Dont know your business model but it would be much easier to have as a retail outlet - with track for "testing purposes" if thats the direction you're going.

I hear you on that score. But, I already made the mistake of being honest about things in an earlier discussion and it's rather come back to haunt me at the moment. At the moment I have a meeting with Mr Knob's boss, but that's next Thursday (there goes another week). So, even if I try to change the supposed direction of the business, he keeps coming back to the "place of assembly" because I made the mistake of mentioning kids party hire once in explanatory discussions.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Yep.. you little blabber mouth.. you've done it now. The dreaded "Place of assembly" caused me no end of grief with Quickslot Huntingdale. When I moved Qucikslot to Springvale I told the council "Hobby Shop" - retail outlet. They came by a few times and no problems. One day I pushed it a bit too far and stuck in 3 pinball machines. A Council guy came round with his kids one weekend, saw the pinnies and told me the usage would now have to change.. I had the pinnies gone next day... Phew!.. because he came back a week later!

Yes well. It's a small town (technically speaking it's a city by population, but it has a small town attitude), so I'd be done for anyway. Basically it is being truthful and trying to do the correct thing that has got me in this entire bloody mess!

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Well.. I think as Gazza said, you might be much better of having a mobile track. At least you're not paying rent when the tracks not being used. I've built several mobile tracks over the years and have been amazed by the crossection of people wanting to hire it. Like.. Bunnings for a social night, car and bike shows, corporate functions, store openings, promotions etc etc.

Especially easy if built on a boat trailer or similar. bugger the council :ph34r:

Edited by axman

An old Bus would be pretty cool... Especially if it had 2 entry points.

Then you could have a 'T' shaped track and use the 2 entries to get to either side of the 'T'.

It would also be weather proof, and permanently setup.

Just don't paint it pink or it may get confused for the 'party' bus...

Alas, a mobile track still requires somewhere to store it and build it.

Listing it as retail would also not solve my problem as the accessible frontage is still required. Retail merely takes the bathroom facilities out of the equation.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Building a mobile track shouldn't be a problem. My brother has just built 2 tracks for the Penrith Slot Car Centre and they fit on a car trailer for transportation.

See Home Tracks - ACT - A few tracks I have built recently.

All you need is undercover room to store the trailer. If you make the track easy to put on the trailer (and remove) you can rent the trailer when not used for racing. Doubles your income stream.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Sports Racer

May the downforce be with you.

5sts7j3.jpg

This is what you need Ember... Set up time is simply taking the tonneau cover of and lining up the cars. I had a fold out table that sat over the drawbar as the "race control" ( and to stop anyone tripping over it ). See pics no # 110 in "The Lost Tracks" section I posted. I built this one on an old caravan chassis. Construction for the surface and sides is plywood ( do NOT used MDF in case its gets wet! ) and then I wrapped the sides with the aluminium they use on the sides of caravans. The money you would spend to build one of these would be covered by NOT having to pay rent when the tracks not being used. I was always surprised at how many different functions I was invited to. Car club meets, social club outings, carpark promo's, markets, school fetes, Saturday at a shopping centre - Ideal way to look after the kids while mum's shopping and of course lots of parties... kids and adults.

Having done several "mobile" track this is by far the most practical way of doing it... especially as a one person setup.

Also, you will find most often you have to set up in an outside situation. Because the track is one piece ( as above ) you simply throw the cover over it if it starts raining or when its time to go. The track is powered by a good size truck battery which lasts all day if no site power is available.

Edited by axman

I do appreciate all of the things in favour of a mobile track. But there is one major thing which a mobile track can not offer, and that is casual use.

I already have a business that relies on people planning to use it and that is not how people around here work. A mobile track relies on either an event to run at, or being hired for a party, or being able to create an event at which to run it. It still requires room to be able to use it, not always available if running at someone's home for a kid's party. Do the up-sides of no rent and the lack of disability access offset these problems? I'm not convinced.

A mobile track is most successful when it is used as an adjunct to a fixed premises.

I must exhaust all possible avenues for a fixed premises venue. If I can not do it in a fixed position mobile is an alternative, but I am not convinced that it is an alternative that is suitable for me. I do not have storage room for it. I would have to lease shed space for storage.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg