Race 4 Thunder Road Hawkes Bay

drw21

Munter, pay him no mind, just some foreign sounding drifter that blew in with the tumble weeds.

I heard tell Clint is looking for him and he's planning to ride his nag out of town into the prairie somewhere.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Neil - just looked at your car. Just using the "eye-ometer" it looks pretty flat.

From the rear, it is possible that the left rear corner is slightly above the plane of flat.... but not a lot, and the pod would allow the rear to sit flat, but the overall car would be a little twisted and unload a little unevenly from one side to the other . . maybe . . . only a maybe.

It was smooth to drive.

Sorry, I confess I had the worst run with it, I really struggled with lack of brakes the first few laps, and had about 5 de-slots.

I eventually just moved to cruise mode, squirting it in the straights, and backing off the throttle half way down each straight to make it around the corner, and I couldn't give it hardly any squirt till it was back in a straight line or it tripped over the front corner.

sounds excatly the way it left these shores.... my tyres sitting in packs must have gone off..... 3 diff. offerings & none were better than the other ..... & I swear that chassis was sweet to drive with a S'it motor..... till I mounted the body........ So back to a Scaley 18'000 I went,, & over geared (too much) thinking it would tame the loose rear & give it legs....... & that there,,, is learning.

Edited by neil

Given all the drama it had encountered, your car was a bit of a sympathetic favourite Lim. It was smooth in a straight line, but like a lot of the field, it had to be nursed around the track.

After the round, the drivers all commented that there were only a handful of cars that could be driven at the speed they were capable of. The rest of the field needed to be carefully nursed around the track to avoid deslots. As expected, the hotter motored cars were a real handful..

We also noticed that quite a few cars did not have glued front tyres - a sure cause of instability.

Thanks for the feedback, Mac, really appreciate it. Looks like I would have been better off with a 22k or 25k motor in this case. Trouble is, I looked at pics of all the tracks and felt they were pretty fast ones, so opted for the NSR 30. And will build in less flex into the chassis in future. It was unfortunate that the Supergrips in my car were over a year old and thus harder than desired - they were the only ones available from my parts bin, hopefully with NSR now available from our local distributor, I will be able to get fresher tyres for my cars when needed. I'm one of those guilty of not gluing the front tyres which didn't help my cause! Thanks again.

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

Great job with round 4 guys , am happy with how my Capri is running , it's holding in there with the front runners . I have to agree , if you don't tell people what is wrong with a car , they will never fix it for the next proxy .... so better they know of problems and possibe solutions , that way everyone gets better at building a car and makes for much closer racing . For me thats the Challenge of Proxy racing , being able to build a car to run on a different tracks , and be drivable .. the car still has to tick all the box's to be a good car . Looking forward to round 5 .

Hi Chenglaw.

My recollection is your tyres were very soft. Not at all like Supergrips.

Hi most.

As stated previously many cars appeared over-motored so agree with Mark/Mac comments.

Apart from this however hard to say what is wrong in many cases as fairly new class. Again agree with other comments - address basics first.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Hi Chenglaw.

My recollection is your tyres were very soft. Not at all like Supergrips.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Hmmm, if they are soft, hard to understand why they don't have grip unless they are some other brand of tyre which is always possible, given the way I store my stuff - all mixed up. Anyway, nothing much I can do about it now, just have to see this proxy through. Thanks, Chas.

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.