Race 4 Thunder Road Hawkes Bay

drw21

M&M; it begs the question of whether my M1, with it's unique chassis, had any quirks that marked it out from the rest. It seems to be reasonably well suited here.

As an aside; is there much evidence of the dreaded tyre wear/degradation showing yet? Third way through the proxy, and Burgo has noted that some powerful cars are running on minimal rubber...

Edited by haystack

Chris

H.M.C.C

Race 4 is in the can. Mark will update the results ASAP.

Here are some pix before the racing started. The white M1 is DRW21's that came in Q1. And the red BASF car deserves special mention for a killer relivery effort,

q1_zps051e5a83.jpg

basf_zps19406e9d.jpg

field2_zps513f47a3.jpg

field1_zpsd1576eb1.jpg

jps1_zps23fa1a7d.jpg

sunoco_zpsf7c60545.jpg

935_zps56906973.jpg

And the drivers were Wongy (white lane) Munter (yellow lane) yours truly (red) and Mark / SlotsNZ (blue)

drivers_zps7d3d619e.jpg

Thanks again for the opportunity to run these cars. We did our best with them.

A special thanks to all the local guys who gave up their club racing night to marshall this evening - and to JK for running the spreadsheet.

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

Just in from driving one of the lanes (yellow) in this round....some great cars and some funny cars.

Haystack, your car was fast but a bit jumpy which I thought was typical of the Fly race podded cars....you did quite well. Tires looked OK too.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

M&M; it begs the question of whether my M1, with it's unique chassis, had any quirks that marked it out from the rest. It seems to be reasonably well suited here.

As an aside; is there much evidence of the dreaded tyre wear/degradation showing yet? Third way through the proxy, and Burgo has noted that some powerful cars are running on minimal rubber...

We liked your car. It had good grip and was quite stable. From memory it hopped a bit under attack and in the corners - pretty sure Wongy said one of the tyres was coming unglued. Regardless, it was one of the easier cars to drive tonight. If there is a fault, and the tyre is reglued, it would be a lovely drive.

Okay, without further ado, - right from the TWO spreadsheets I saved, and the photos I took of the screen before leaving Mac's

One weird thing, I sorted them into order of completed laps. It put me into 2nd place on the same number of laps as GAS 41T - and put him above me on the list. Dave, YOU can sort out the points LOL

Looks like my guess at sorting race order by remembering qualifying results was about right.

Mac might have been second outright, but while I was driving HIS car, and he was driving Haystacks Fly BMW - the miserable nerfer took me out in an awkward place..... ;)

Proxy%20R4%20results.jpg

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Great to have Race 4 done and dusted, THANK YOU GUYS for getting that job done. Thank you to the drivers and the marshals too.

I'm gonna make a call regarding 2nd and 3rd - seen how Gas41T qualified with a 6.680 and SlotsNZ had a 6.691 - I will award Gs41T with 2nd place and SlotsNZ 3rd place and will set the points accordingly asap.

Nice pix guys - awesome work, I hope you enjoyed Race 4 of the NZ Group 5 Proxy Series - Dave

HAH, I already corrected the spreadsheet formula problem to fix that one and one other "tie" further down using the same logic !

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Well, that was a good run for the 'Vette - to finish in 18th place after qualifying 24th! "Very smooth, a bit taily" - seems to indicate that the troubles from the previous rounds are now behind it - many thanks to the efforts of Mike and Chas for the rebuild. Lets hope the improvement continues for the rest of the series. Congrats to the guys on the poduim and a big round of applause for the guys who hosted, drove and marshaled this round - GREAT JOB! :D

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

Given all the drama it had encountered, your car was a bit of a sympathetic favourite Lim. It was smooth in a straight line, but like a lot of the field, it had to be nursed around the track.

After the round, the drivers all commented that there were only a handful of cars that could be driven at the speed they were capable of. The rest of the field needed to be carefully nursed around the track to avoid deslots. As expected, the hotter motored cars were a real handful..

We also noticed that quite a few cars did not have glued front tyres - a sure cause of instability.

Edited by slotmadmac

Neil, maybe you geared your car too tall which gives little braking effect, maybe it was too heavy? I dont know but it stood out as being a glider.

I didnt look too closely at the cars but just drove them....there were many cars that were low and smooth..... but lacked grip so they flapped and jumped about when pushed and I did push some of them hard.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

As an observer(marshal) I thought as Munter stated that there was lack of grip. This is the first time Group 5 is raced in a proxy. Exciting cars to race and even a spectacle for the guys not racing. I know there are guys that don't like what I'm going to say but maybe the rule regarding preparation of the tires (treatment) should be allowed up to the first race day. We treat tires all the time. I have a Ferrari Group 5 (yellow) and my car hit 6.9 without trying pre last nights proxy. Can you imagine what the Group 5 proxy racing would be like with all cars in the proxy racing with very close split times? These cars are a Fast and Furious class. Allow them to be. Nothing worse than seeing a Group 5 car drift around corners and losing time when they shouldn't be doing that

I'm addicted to Slot Cars.

yeah ..... that's the result of using whats in the box..... I am contempt with the out come... with more focus on trying to make a nice body & getting a chassis built using dif. approaches, plus failures,, it left little time ( for the un-experienced ) to concentrate on the more important aspects of a "Race Car" ..... the tunining. ....

But not too worries... I'm enjoying the learning... Can Am is only around the corner.

Extra grip would have helped some cars but getting the basics right is also important. Glued and trued tyres all round; front and rear tyres being checked for outside diameter; free spinning front wheels and no body binding issues would be a good start for some of the entries. You need a stable platform to build from. I doubt some of the cars were checked on a set up block either. I checked a few and it wasn't pretty...

Not trying to be negative but the key thing about entering a proxy is to take some learning from your cars performance - and improve it next time.

Yep. Usually everyone is SOOOOOOOOOO polite about the cars.

Mac decided to bite the bullet and be brutally frank, so guys can learn about making cars better for future proxies.

- Hey I am at the top of the pack and mine is showing faults that weren't apparent in the limited testing on my own small track.

i needed 3gams more weight int he pod, another 5 or so in the main chassis.

I'd drop one motor to a 25K yellow bell, I'd go to independently rotating front wheels, and I'd probably have used ultra-grips as in the past, which are a bit softer than the Super grips.I'd have sprung the rear of the pod with a CH55 suspension kit.

And that's all just "choices" not accuracy of tuning..... All up, those changes might have yielded maybe one less de-slot, 0.05 to 0.1 a lap on Mac's track, without any "better" setup tuning......

So the more we learn by brutal critique of our cars this year, the better we do next time.

I am a fan of the suspension, it allows better loading up of the outside wheel in corners, which might have helped a lot of cars with grip levels.

My proxy cars that have done well in the past had suspension - 3rd in Slot.it Shoot out USA with a Group C Porsche, 2nd in CanAm here with the Chaparral.

Personally, I appreciate critiques, be they blunt or polished. I enter my fair share of proxies around and about, and nothing is less edifying than a 'hey, yore car is great' feedback, when it obviously isn't.

Setting up for a proxy at 10v in the States, is a far cry from racing on twisty local tracks, or shiny 2pak Kiwi ones. :o

So, bring it on, I say; no one ever died from an information overload. :rolleyes:

Chris

H.M.C.C

Neil - just looked at your car. Just using the "eye-ometer" it looks pretty flat.

From the rear, it is possible that the left rear corner is slightly above the plane of flat.... but not a lot, and the pod would allow the rear to sit flat, but the overall car would be a little twisted and unload a little unevenly from one side to the other . . maybe . . . only a maybe.

It was smooth to drive.

Sorry, I confess I had the worst run with it, I really struggled with lack of brakes the first few laps, and had about 5 de-slots.

I eventually just moved to cruise mode, squirting it in the straights, and backing off the throttle half way down each straight to make it around the corner, and I couldn't give it hardly any squirt till it was back in a straight line or it tripped over the front corner.

For everyone, as a comparison.

Our club cars (all-be-it with treated tyres) so more grip, would be lapping around 7 seconds +/- 0.2 on this track to be competitive on a club night with very few de-slots. - ie predictable at those lap times. So we've be cutting regular 17 laps in heats. Mac would hit 18s with ease, I'd be TRYING to hit 18 in 2 minutes.

Mac's with more would likely win, I'd be a close second or 3rd or 4th along with a couple of guys who don't enter proxies eg NYMYRE, Dave, Wongy.

Nice to see all the cars in the flesh last night. It was refreshing to see new, non club cars racing for a change.

Determined to enter a proxy race now...

Here's another angle on the night's proceedings

n28fMOb.jpg

And a few of the cars that stopped near my sector... cheers

yAF2Xel.jpg

C4yGOKk.jpg

tXrxhlC.jpg

hIgdSlg.jpg

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.