Race 4 Thunder Road Hawkes Bay

drw21

• 2 months later...

Looks like we are next up.

As most of you know, Thunder Road is a high gloss, high grip 95' track. Race will be run at 12v. Trackmate timing.

As always, the boys are looking forward to seeing what turns up to race. Qualifying will probably be run next Wednesday with the race round next Thursday night.

We have a well established Group 5 class in our weekly roster. Like the proxy entries, it's predominantly a Sideways grid - so we know what to expect from a good car. Most of the Group 5 cars we race run 22k motors. My guess is that, like last year, some of the hotter proxy motors will be a real handful - especially on the sweeper. Time will tell.

Thanks for the opportunity to run your cars on my track.

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

Mac and I will run qualifying at 3pm tomorrow (NZ time), and so I'll be home with the results about 5:30

Dave - I have the proper layout - ( pretty colours and all), would you like me to post the qualifying results as well as sending them to you, or just send them to you to post later?

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi Guys

been waiting to hear back from Dave about what to do.

My Tablet failed to retain the file of qualifying results, all I have is a completely blank sheet.

I have been through the bowels of machine in auto-recovery, and the auto-recovery file is also blank

I have no idea why, as it was set on "autosave" every 10 minutes as default.

I am afraid there is no way to get the data back now.

(There are no forensic tools for Windows RT, and i doubt that would help anyway)

A LOT of cars struggled for grip, and Mac had some words that weren't so positive.

A lot "shuddered" too, and despite some quick laps times, may were hard to drive, including most of the faster cars, and al the Orkaei ones apart from Dave's which was in a class of it's own 0.2 ahead of the next qualifier on 6.443 ( II remembered that one) I know I Was 4th on 6.691, and a couple of others.

I have sent Dave a best guess of finishing order for qualifying, so he may choose to post that up as a guide to running order tomorrow.

- I'll take my full laptop out tomorrow, just to be sure.

Mac may be able to remember more detail and perhaps correct some middle order errors.

I am REALLY sorry for this, never had anything like this happen before that I couldn't fix with my PC skills.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Well that's a frustrating end to a frustrating qualifying run.

As Mark said, we were both quite disappointed with the cars today. Too many were unstable and shuddered their way around the track. Some were virtually undrivable. And, as predicted, the hotter motored cars were too much to contain on a longer track like this. They would deslot at pace. Some would deslot in a straight line under acceleration - and that's nursing them around the track.

I'm going to tell the drivers tomorrow that they can't choke the faster cars down so I am expecting a lot of offs in some of the heats tomorrow.

Anyway, with most of the field simply running Sideways cars we expected a lot better - especially given the reports from earlier rounds to date. Perhaps I am being too critical but I thought I should tell it like I see it.. That's it Rant over.

I can't remember many specific cars or times but DRW21's car was hands down the best drive and should clean up tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that SlotsNZ . Your worst nightmare.

My paper/whiteboard based system worked around Dave's forms has is merits.

Computer is fine but I always keep paper back-up.

Old school I know but I find it faster particularly using whiteboard as there is a lot to record.

For race day I have whiteboard grid with pre-named heats so I can record laps and segments. I write while one driver calls laps, second segments and third best lap. I write latter up on one of Dave's sheets.

Took an hour to do qualifying and 3 for racing (latter very hard work).

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Hi Mark and Mac, I've just got back from a School event and eagerly sat down to check out the progress.

OOPS!!!! Siht happens, "don't panic Mr Mannering".

It is qualifying (not the actual race) so we can use what we have so far and get ready for the race best we can.

I'm gonna say to Mark and Mac Thank You guys for doing your best.

However - You as the host have my permission to re do the qualifying if you think the cars can handle it or go by what you think is the correct order - up to you guys.

It is only qualifying and it's the Race that is important. I'm sure we will be fine with what you guys decide to do, we are in good hands guys so no need to worry.

On a side note and due to to some of the high powered cars being a handful - I would like to know what the voltage is at the track, Is it 12 as in 12.0 or 12 as in 12.8?

No worries guys- we'll get there Mark and Mac will see us right - Dave.

All the best for the Racing!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Wobble,

now if you'd told me that before I'd know not to trust tablets....

It IS weird, as even the "autosave" file was blank and we'd spent 75 minutes recording qualifying scores, so it should have been through at least 5 "auto-save" cycles. So at worst, I'd have lost the last 5 car times, 2 of which were mine and Dave's.

In case anyone wonders in regards to lack of grip

A few pre-emptive answers to questions folks may have churning about but be hesitant to question us about.

- Mac has a clean track, covered when not in use, which he warmed himself up, and further "scrubbed" with a drone car while I laid out all the proxy cars and prepped them - some just needed another braid clean or adjustment for his slot/braid gap etc.

- We cleaned all tyres before running, and after a deslot with the usual inverted packing tape.

- Most cars did around 10 laps. Mac drove on his favoured test lane, so knows it blindfolded.

- Mac will have to confirm, but we usually run exact 12 volts, on a Dick Smith 3800 linear rectified supply. (heavy transformer brute as opposed to a modern Switch-mode supply, so it is a super stable track supply.

- We use this track usually once every 5 weeks for club, and every other month we run a weekend/afternoon enduro event there.

- Today was a sunny day here, so the track wasn't "cold" -which can affect grip. I was in shirtsleeves - Spring in Hawkes Bay :)

- In CLUB we permit tyre treatment, so we are used to some soft and pretty forgiving tyres, so some of the grip absence and rough running comment may be "relative" to the silent running we are more used to with "shore 00" tyres :)

- WHOOOOH some of those tyres felt HARD - like harder than Supergrip even. My stock Supergrips felt soft-ish by comparison - and mine have had nothing near them, not even lighter fluid to "clean" the surface. I think I wiped with water after trueing. So to feel "harder" tyres was a surprise.

One thing which really surprised me now that I see the entries. - Nearly all the cars are running 8mm wide rims and narrow tyres no wider than 10mm.

With these bodies, it is easy to run a wider rim, so I am surprised that given the requirement to have no tyre treatment/softening, that so few people have run a wider, - and usually therefore more grippy tyre setup.

Thanks heaps Mark and Mac, nice to know that you warm up the track like you do, that's great and that track info is very helpful too - BUDDING TUNERS TAKE NOTE FOR NEXT YEAR

Mark did send me a list of what has been remembered for a qualifying order (initially I didn't see it in e-mails earlier on)

Here it is..........................Bring on Race 4 of Group 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QualifyingR4_zpsaa2d555b.jpg

Edited by drw21

And it is not all correct, it is only my best shot at putting in some "dummy times" to get the cars into some sort of order which reflects my best recollections of positions.

It just gets them into bands which are close to right, so most can run in the sort of group in which they naturally fit.

I may have even dealt Wobble's Capri, and Charles Capri in particular a cruel insult, as they were both decent cars. - Charles, your chassis was working well here. I certainly expect you to come out in the top 1/3rd of the field as the car was clearly quite easy to drive, I could see that just watching Mac.

As always it was interesting to see the different chassis set ups. A number of cars had little or no body rock. As a rock fan I found this sometimes made the cars less forgiving in the corners - but then DRW21's car was tight as well. I think the independent fronts helped alot there.

Tyre choice was obviously key and I agree with Marks comment about hard tyres. In our club roster we would expect a well set up stock Sideways car with good tyres to lap in 6.6 to 6.8s on this track.