Sign in to follow this  
jphanna

The Golden Years

guys,

i love buying new race cars and you wouldnt be human if you didnt get excited about taking home a brand new race car and then pulling it apart and rebuilding it for whatever rules you run to. its what we do for fun.

im sure the more mature gentlemen on here would appreciate the times when preparing a new race car meant this.....

driving to hardware store and buying piano wire and flat brass plate pieces, brass tubing of various sizes, and going home and chopping it all up (no dremel in sight by the way) measuring, bending, soldering......until you made your chassis for racing.

all you bought from the slot car shop was a spring steel guide flag holder (to solder onto the chassis), a guide flag, a clear body to paint and pin it to the chassis and wallah.....your new race car.

you either copied a known parma chassis or made your own design and hope that it worked.

this all stopped when the first LASER CUT spring steel chassis were being handed out at local tracks for sale. a few tried to hold onto the old brass and piano wire chassis to take on the laser cut spring steel.......but technology was always going to win and they couldnt compete against the new high tech models

for me, the 'romance' (sorry i couldnt think of a better word...) of slot car racing was slightly lost, when the home made brass and piano wire chassis were made obsolete. it didnt feel right to buy a new laser cut chassis and be just like everyone else with exactly the same car, same body.......

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

Hi John,brass and piano wire chassis have made a return in Retro racing.Classes are F1 with 1960's bodies,Can/Am,FX/FJ Holdens and Muscle Cars.

Tony,

that is good to hear. every now and then some guys that have held onto EVERYTHING since they started, bring a 60's or 70's Brass and piano wire chassis to our races. Tony, as you would appreciate. these chassis were made with skills and love!!

if you guys got some lying around unused, please dont ditch em, like i did. soemone else will find a use for them.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

I have converted or put new side pans on some of my old brass Group 12 chassis to meet the Retro rules and am also going to be building brass and piano wire chassis for some true scale projects that i have in mind.

John,

Laser cut chassis did'nt stop me making my own, but one has to have a lot of patience to design and dremell/grind/file/polish out a chassis out of a spring steel plate.

Garrry,

But a great feeling if the long hours and effort is rewarding.

A lot of success in life are a result of the work you have done, R&D, etc . You have been at the cutting edge over the years. and have a major contribution to the hobby/sport (Tracks, carbon chassis, race systems, electronics, race directing, etc etc)

BTW Those long hours of cutting out chassis resulted in quite few championships which can bring more enjoyment than just spending big dollars on manufacturers stuff.

I admire people who put in the effiort and want to advance the "tech" side of our hobby no matter what class.