Sign in to follow this  
jphanna

2015 National Competition Scenario

Guest jazzbell

Sorry guys heat of the moment deleted what I said.

I'll say what I have to at the club and it will be the final say on the topic.

Shane

Edited by jazzbell

Please guys, can we keep personal attacks out of the discussion. They don't achieve anything other than bad blood.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

John, I agree the change over to sponge types has been a great move, however having won a few titles at the event I won't comment any further. I would appreciate feedback from others who competed and get there thoughts on the tyres at this year's MCN. I would particularly like to here Garry's honest opinions, he does not race these cars and has by far the best eye in the business. Not sure how competitive I will be next year in Adlaide, but I encourage you to pull my cars apart and go over them....you can drive them if you like and make up your own mind. - Cam
Cam, your integrity was, and is never in question. good engineering, racecraft, skill, and the results are there for everyone to see and admire. congratulations on your success. you uttely deserve your accolades. im sorry that you even felt you had to suggest to check out your cars. i never mentioned anyone cars at all, just tyres was a sticking point for me as a subject overall. just as it has been mentioned before, with same volatile results.... would be great to meet you in the near future. Edited by jphanna

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

John, nobody "treats" sponge tires, well no one who knows what they're doing. With modern rubber the biggest problem you'll have is too much grip.

I think this horse is dead, no point flogging it any more.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Thank you Garry.

i hear and clearly understand that sponge tyres are the best tyre solution. i am very happy with that.

i want to apologise to anyone if some aspects of the message i was trying to convey was inappropriate.

i want to do my best to convince my mates, the shed people, to join in and attend the nationals and make it the biggest nationals ever.

MCN is a good idea. There is a lot of hard work that goes into the organization of anything like this event and it can be a pretty thankless task at times.

It'd be great if everyone could support it and compete in the spirit intended. We're all one big happy slotting family. :)

Now I must depart and feed my unicorns. :D

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Methyl Salicylate will make them grip .... and as a bonus it smells nice and you can use it as a linament (but it destroys the track) ... Hahaaa

Greg

We're all one big happy slotting family. :)

I'm not :angry:

With acknowledgement to the Monty Python crew

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

HaHa....... reminds meof Uncle Fester/Adams Family.... don't know why ,, just does.

HaHa....... reminds meof Uncle Fester/Adams Family.... don't know why ,, just does.

its the bald un-smiley face

:lol: I didn't expect that. ;)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Almost finished a bucket of popcorn reading this thread. Very entertaining indeed. :lol:

1x Australian National Champion

PhD/Associate Professor in Chemical Engineering for Slot Car Tyres

Almost finished a bucket of popcorn reading this thread. Very entertaining indeed. :lol:

Well it has been interesting. I think it summarises like this. Someone got gipped 20 years ago and is still fearful that it might happen again. Without being disrespectful to John and i do like him, foam tyres are not the root of his problem at winning a class at the nationals. I think anyone who has followed the nationals results will know that foamies have levelled things out and with due respect to the organiser to his detriment.

I would love to race where rubber tyres were the standard. I start with a massive advantage in knowing how to prepare them. The modern foamies that are allowed are good straight out of the pack so there is no advantage with devils brews which was the idea in the first place. It will be a new track, a great time, lots of hard luck stories and a few successes for different folks. Whatever things can be improved for the event foam tyres isn't one of them.

PS the 956 is a better car than the 962 save your money unless you just want the car.

Edited by first corner crash

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Trevor, you and the other 99.9% of Thunderbird racers have been so nice to me and even if I don't deserve it, I have been humbled by the friendship, advice, caring and welcoming feeling in the short time I have been there. I will do anything to ensure I don't lose that priviliedge.

as far as the nations is concerned I am trying o entice the other people I race with to join in. if they know they can buy a set of tyres and they will WORK on that day they may be encouraged to have a go.

that is my aim.

john

I'd say if anyone is at least slightly interested in the event & would like to have ago,,,, Just do it. ​... I see no negatives about entering & coming last ... it's all learning for the next event .... & at the least,, as already stated,, you can only walk away from the event with more knowledge,, experience & maybe have a hoot of a time with some hookers back at the hotel room...

Enter the event

Read the rules

Prep. the cars to the best of you abilities / budget

Book a hotel

Pack the boot.... with your lugage.. cars.. alcohol.. hooker.. more alcohol

& have an F'n good weekend. ;)

Hookers ???

Is that some obscure fishing reference ?

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Hookers ???

Is that some obscure fishing reference ?

C'mon Garry.... when a bunch of guy's say "there going on w'end away to go.. "Slotcar" racing" ..... Surely, they arent really going away for a W'end of Slotcar racing <_< ....... are they?? :huh:

Neil, thanks for the laugh that's a good one, but did'nt you know It's illegal in S.A.?

I also liked your other comments, the only way to improve and learn is to compete with the best. I certainly learnt a bit in my trips to race in the US, Belgium and Holland. Most top racers are only too willing to help and give you tips.

Neil ol' boy, there are somedays you're a LEGEND.

Part myth.... part history

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Pack the boot.... with your lugage.. cars.. alcohol.. hooker.. more alcohol

Or did he mean a Hookah, a sort of middle eastern bong type device used for smoking herbal tobacco or such like..

Good to see this thread descend into a bit of a joke, probably where it should have gone right from the start.

Edited by lenny broke

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good. Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Edited by neil

well I have just come back from THUNDERBIRDS and bought my shiny new car for the 2015 nationals. As you can see I cant hide my delight and will buy the second car for the nats from Tbirds very soon. I got my old 'friends' beside me to maybe rub off some of that very much needed luck on the new porsche

DSCF1117.jpg

Hey Japhana..... nice car..... I gotta say..... "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" ........ me I'm a "BP" man.... Why's that?,,Did I hear you ask?? .... One of my favorite Gemini models was sponsored by "BP" at bathurst ...... back when days were great,, Liverpool Speedway was always at full capacity & there were accidents at the intersection North livo & Meadows Rd .every 2nd night .... there was "BP" down the road selling Cornetto's & Gaytime's out of the outside ice box & the guy across the road. (Who bought one of the first TURBO'D Sigma's) used to run the joint .... & lets not forget the Beeeuuutiful colour's of the Green & bloody Gold..... yep ....I'm a BP man......................... damn forgot what I was sayin..

Thats right......... GREEN & GOLD.. baby........... GREEN & GOLD