Sign in to follow this  
s13

New Set Decisions

So i have been using 30 year old hand me down track for a few years now and i think its time to actually buy some new track.

thinking about splurging and getting the Scalextric digital gear. most likely the platinum set.

been doing a bit of reading and have seen users have a few problems over time would you still recommend it?

also recently it looks like scalextric is bringing out a new "carbon" set which will have wireless controllers and some smart device integration. anybody seen any reviews on this? ive only be able to see pictures of the boxes.

PK

I don't think the set with wireless controllers and bluetooth tablet integration will be out for a while yet.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

The Carbon set will not be released in Australia until probably next year. It will be possible to change the 6 car powerbase on the Platinum set over to an RCS (or whatever Scalextric call the tablet/phone controlled wireless thing today) upon its release.

I've had the Scaley 6 car Advanced Powerbase (APB) for some time now and don't really have any problems with it. With the Platinum set you will get nearly everything you need at quite a good cost (prices vary dramatically around the planet). I think most people that had problems didn't quite take the time to learn the functions of the APB, didn't purchase or borrow an aftermarket cable to upgrade the APB's firmware or pretty much gave up when they had an issue. Everything you need to know about Scalextric's 6 car APB can be found on the net or can be found on forums.

I'm pretty sure Scalextric have changed the name of the new system coming out already from RCS to ARC (App Race Control). From what I've read Scalextric are saying that the basic set (ARC ONE) will come out late 2014 while the wireless versions will not be available until 2015 (probably late 2015 I'd say).

I'd recommend the APB as I've had no real problems and also had done quite a bit of research before purchasing it, I knew what to look out for and how to overcome any problems before they arose. I also had the basic Pitlane game upgraded to PitPro and connected my APB to a computer (with the same cable used to upgrade the APB) so I can run SSDC (Scalextric Sport Digital Console). Saying this though most of the time I will usually just power up the track and run laps in Analogue mode, switching to digital mostly when my 3 kids want to have a play.

It really comes down to do you want to wait a year or longer, then wait to see if there are any problems before you purchase the newer system or get a newer system now. No one can really make that decision exept for yourself, either way you can still upgrade to a new set (analogue) which can always be used as an extension to whichever digital set you choose to purchase.

cheers

Matt

hmm some of the sites i have seen think it will be out august / September this year.... might wait that long.

main reason i want digital is so i can do ghost car lapping, lane changing and reduce speed when kids play.

was thinking about going full routed but i enjoy changing the track around to much to be locked into 1 track design forever.

From what I understand, the September release is for the UK, and only for the 2 car wired powerbase.

The wireless 2 and 6 car powerbases are more likely to be the end of next year in the UK.

Better off getting the current APB and a usb cable, and then you can have all of the features of the new RCS/ARC system now and not have to wait...