84 replies to this topic

#21 alexis in greece

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

"B" spec motors are not so wild,combined with free gearing will return things to driveable.I have to admit that it does not resolve the cost issue.Which i am not so sure though is a real issue given the scarcity of RX81 motors.My reasoning is this,if, in order to get hold of a motor,you need to by a new car ,we are talking about 25-30 euros at least,including postage.From Pendles you can buy:
-a pair of Slot.it axles X GBP 2.15
-Avant Slot gears for 3.50 X2=7
-Avant Slot Rims for 4.25X2=9..........total 18.15X1.15(roughly)=21 euros plus postage.
I didnt include motor cost because i believe all of us have some useable motor in our spares box
My situation:
-My car is not going to last a 3rd proxy ,it needs new motor and rims/axles,which i am not prepared to spend for ,as it is an old battered car(additional reason,it is stuff which might not even last a full season).So i'll have to buy a knew one,and on top of that, not one i like,(because it does not make sense buying a 5th Subaru-no, the others are Carrera,Scaley and Avant) then possibly another car (for the motor),so i'll have to buy a Peugeot or Citroen if i find one.And it is out of the question to use the 2012 Skoda.
-Or i would be prepared to rebuilt the existing car by using parts that last and are reuseable(alu rims,axles,gears etc), which I will probably find in my spares box.Worst case scenario i could even steal some parts from another car.
-Or ,if motors were free I could use the FABBIA :wub: i allready own (i've been begging for it from day 1)

Ben_m,Scx axles are not useable if we decide alu rims,because they are either bigger than 3/32 or have knurled(is it the correct word?) ends
Posted Image

#22 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

Ben_m,Scx axles are not useable if we decide alu rims,because they are either bigger than 3/32 or have knurled(is it the correct word?) ends
Sorry Alex. You're incorrect there. I've not had an SCX car with knurled axles.
Computers. They'll never catch on.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#23 aquakiwi

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

From my experience SCX axles wont fit most 3/32 hubs (and I've just been "rummaging" trying some. Sourcing SCX motors especially the older ones is the problem especially here in NZ.

#24 alexis in greece

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostEmber, on 13 June 2014 - 06:55 AM, said:

Sorry Alex. You're incorrect there. I've not had an SCX car with knurled axles.
You are right,they are knurled in the center
Posted Image

#25 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Yes. Centre knurling to avoid crown slip.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#26 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

I have no wish to add to cost but you need to be realistic. The great variety of motors in OZ Rally does not seem to detract and no one motor dominate.

I only supported ali wheels as with my Corolla I had to true them up and accept compromise. Another relatively low cost option where hard to correct wobbles would be Slot- plastic wheels but they could have same trouble as ali axle wise. Just considering the options.

Regards Chas Le Breton

#27 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

Noted Charlesx about OZ rally that is an open motor formula, I believe the SCX has always been a one motor series, I would think basically for a level playing field and I know by what has been said before a series to keep the costs down, have mentioned the additional costs of alloy wheels , some have mentioned replacing axles contrates that also adds to the costs approx. £25 plus I have just costed it, if people want to go down this road fair enough but as you said there is already the OZ rally for that

#28 Ben_M

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

The original SCX rally which was for historic classes ran by a different organiser had the option of motor choice for the class 3 cars (Group B ).

Edited by Ben_M, 14 June 2014 - 11:20 AM.

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

#29 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

I like the idea of 2 classes (far easier to run for hosts) and it worked a treat for other proxies.

Class 1 - Same SCX cars with a new more easily acquired motor
Class 2 - Rally cars with Aluminium wheels and open motor

Then you can let the entrants vote with their feet on what class they want to enter in.

Just a thought

#30 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Hi Miveson and all.

Class 1 as long as existing cars/motors still OK.
Class 2 - seems same as OZ. Is one gong to be at expense of other???

Chas Le Breton

#31 lenny broke

7th runner up 1978 South Australian Womp Championship

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Basically keep it the same as now but allow the more readily available SCX motors. If there is a concern about the difference in motor performance offer separate points for the two motor groups. Personally I'd like to upgrade the wheels gears and axles but I understand that the organisers may prefer the original equipment.

Alan

#32 mtucker666

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

We already have multiple performances from motors, and the quickest motor does not usually correspond to the fastest times on tight twisty rally tracks.

In this years wrp Penelope pitstops motor is in a class of it's own, but just cause you get to the corners quicker does not mean you get round the corners quicker and corners is where stages are won or lost.

Matt

#33 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:18 AM

It is almost impossible to buy any SCX 4wd motors. So opening up the motor rule will only make it harder for some entrants. Ithought d the open slot motor may be an option But even the cars are getting harder to find.
The only cheap option Ican think off is to change to 2wd, use the Slot It adapter and use a spec S can motor like the 16,000 wD MRRC/ SRP motor.This should be easy for most people cost effective.
This would be the cheapest option using the existing cars.
It's a shame that there is no current 4 WD motor available that would suit.
This event is unique in only allowing 4WD SCX cars with very limited modifications.
Oz Rally caters for the people wanting to do more building and modifications.

#34 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

It is getting hard to source motors , there are cars available from Slots and Trains they have Citroen C4, Citroen DS3, Fiesta listed but I think these are all powered with 91 motor, Pendals have a10113 Fiesta, A10117 Citroen C4 , A10120 Citroen DS3, A10092 Fiesta, A10029 Fiesta, A10158 Citroen DS3, this one due for release about now and as far as I can find out these are all powered by the 91 motor which I assume is the motor they are using now in replacement for the 81 B , I have mounted a 91 in a 81 cradle but have had to make up a bracket as it is smaller in size , think Kalbfellp 's idea is worth considering as I tend to agree with him about motors even the 91 does not seem to be available anywhere on it's own .

#35 curef99

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

looking at all the dicsussion, are we all in agreement that next year will again be WRC? if we get this sorted we can move on to the next question:)

#36 gazza

2003 World hide and seek champion

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts
  • Location:Sitting in front of the computer, how else could i be typing this

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

The question is still out there, who's up for giving the current class another run
Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

Posted Image

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

#37 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

Yup.

Posted Image

#38 Ben_M

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:33 PM

My preference is still for some sort of change, even if it is minimal. The only reason is just to spice it up a little, I don't have any issues with the current class. Might have to pull the mighty Mitsu out of retirement if it stays the same.
Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

#39 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

Another yup from me .

#40 Knealer

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:01 PM

I am happy to go again just picked up a nearly new focus for a good price.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users