charlesx

Group 5 Proxy Nz

Hi all.

A bit late but I am finally ready to start my Group 5 build.

Basically a Sunoco Ford Capri. Phil in Tassie has made me some great decals.

Plan is to scratch build chassis but I have Slot-it HRS kit as back-up.

See photo of most parts below. Not sure of wheels/tyres yet so have just included sample of same.

IMG_6564_zps03520841.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton (Charlesx)

Edited by charlesx

Hi all.

Started actual build this afternoon. Noticed chassis mounts in body are very fine and likely to split so have slotted some ali tube and glued around each of mount posts. This should strengthen but add little weight. Bugger forgot to weigh first.

Have cut out basic chassis and tested inserts against different wheel sizes.

More to come.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Looks great Aquakiwi. Is that a Sideways white kit or what? Decals look great. Make sure you get those tyres properly glued and trued. Pity you are not closer to Taranaki.

Two of our members have Group 5's running (and very well) but neither is likely to enter proxy. We have put in remit to include as class at next Hard Body Nationals.

Regards Chas Le Breton

looks stunning

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Remembered how to post photos. See first post.

Now have chassis underway. Cut out main chassis member including hole to accommodate Slot-it offset pod to fit Flat 6R. Drilled for body mounts.

Also cut second layer strengthening piece that goes down centre of chassis again to fit around pod. Currently in hot water cupboard while glue sets.

More photos tomorrow.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Aquakiwi.......... good car you got there.... every time I look @ it, it gets/looks tougher... hope it runs tough for ya...(but not too tough :ph34r:)

Chas................ That's a costly way of a build.(I hate spending)... Good luck... hope it goes to plan.. ;)

Me... I've been busy every arvo lately ...... thinking ... cutting ... thinking some more ... cutting some more.....

DSCF3142_zps4141c8c2.jpgDSCF3154_zpse19f62c8.jpg

Plan was to utilize what I've got in the box ... Carrera Porche Body .... Scaley pro parts(3mm axle kit) .... a variety of motors (mostly 18,000 types)

Firstly.... attempted to make my own cradle.... very tight tolerance when using 3mm with sidewinder set up.... then to inline.... but securing the motor without the use of glues was my hangup........ Praise the Lord for Slotit cradles...

DSCF3153_zps736f75bd.jpg DSCF3152_zps0d03b1dc.jpg 184128e0-05cd-43b6-9606-4d9a0191deed_zps80274102.jpg

finally settling on a simple build method ......... still a litle more to do

DSCF3141_zps115dbc70.jpg

Great looking build there Neil.

Mine is very similar but more simple (like me) and in the main using bits I already had although I did get Phil in Tassie to make the decals as I needed some white numbers which I cannot make myself. He has ALPS printer. I can assure you I am very cost conscious.

I decided to use a Slot-it pod from start but not sure yet whether I will glue in or leave free for adjustment. The Canam cars tend to be really stiff so that could be a guide. Have also used Slot-it front axle from HRS kit which I had left over from another project. Full HRS kit is only if all else fails.

Seem to be having problem gluing styrene. Not sure whether glue had gone off. What do you use?

Attach couple more photos all going well. One showing strengthened body mounts and one of chassis gluing process.

th_MVI_6565_zpsa5acfd9f.jpg

IMG_6566_zps5cf342be.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

I see these build pix and think awesome, this is what it's all about, building a car to compete with others on tracks you may not have driven on without actually driving them.

I'm back home now and will be catching up with CanAm and Group 5 over the next 2-3 days, if you have any q's you can e-mail me [drw21@vodafone.co.nz] and I'll get on to it real soon.

Love the work guys - keep it up - Dave

Edited by drw21

part of my build were fitting the motor pod/cradle with the bearing extensions was a waste of effort.... went out & bought a little file set & worked the pod/cradle in nice a snug ....no binding when fitted....only to find it fitted above the chassis due to the size of the rear wheels...... Another headache was getting the body mounted to my perfection,,, with wheels under the gaurd I didn't want any rubing.... 3 attempts... I'm pleased now....... Spent last night filling of excess Dia. from the hubs to be fitted to the rims ....DSCF3168_zps7e26ec98.jpg

......... Now need to get the rolling chassis motorised & moving by soughting out these scaley gears...had trouble with the crown gears when first purchased,,(I never used glue).. & haven't used since.... though the side winder variety worked a charm (with glue)..... though both have different stress..

DSCF3170_zps5f7c2ee9.jpg DSCF3167_zpsd9b59fc3.jpg

& then onto body...

Hi Neil and all.

Oh the dilemmas of the scratch builder. So many choices.

Nothing against buying off the shelf but building is so much more fun

My latest photos. Do not take any notice of the wheels. A bit rough going by Neil's efforts but as long as it goes ok.

IMG_6569_zps3e8bf158.jpg

IMG_6570_zps7872254e.jpg

IMG_6567_zps34a0ac80.jpg

IMG_6568_zpsddf76a76.jpg

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Chas - looking very nice indeed....

Now need to get the rolling chassis motorised & moving by soughting out these scaley gears...had trouble with the crown gears when first purchased,,(I never used glue).. & haven't used since.... though the side winder variety worked a charm (with glue)..... though both have different stress..

You should try some Ultraloc - thread locking compound (available from BUnnings) - couple of drops and the gear won't move from the axle - if you make a mistake or want to use the crown again simply get a soldering iron and the compound easily melts.

You should try some Ultraloc - thread locking compound (available from BUnnings) - couple of drops and the gear won't move from the axle - if you make a mistake or want to use the crown again simply get a soldering iron and the compound easily melts.

Not sure if were on the same page........ I'm reffering to the ... "plastic gear" to the "Alloy hub".... I'm guesing the Loctite super glue will work fine for this...........

do have some thread locker aswell....... might use on the Axle assembly.... .....thanks for the reminder.

Hi Miveson and Neil

Yes we are all at cross purposes or perhaps unclear about what was problem.

I was referring to gluing styrene to styrene. Have used same glue often but generally glued to resin, plastic or metal (e.g. brass tube for body mounts to resin bodies).

Probably I should have roughed up surface but any other suggestions most welcome.

Now working on body mounting posts. In hindsight I should have lengthened originals.

Regards Chas Le Breton

I've used the same "Loctite" Super glue on the Styrene Sheeting,,,,,, was told to roughen but found just scraping area clean (using end of 6" rule) has worked well so far........ proxy will tell...... only issue is I wish i bought a delayed curing version.

Hi Chas and Neil, good job you guys, I've built a couple of chassis using styrene and I use Humbrol Poly cement. It doesn't glue styrene it actually fuses it together more like welding. Just can't use too much glue as it softens the styrene until it cures. Can take more than 24hrs. Once it's cured though it's pretty tough. Just wondering Neil if yours wasn't quite cured to come to grief like that. Also Neil you might want to consider a flat piece with the o.d. of your styrene guide tube drilled through it to glue down from the top to reinforce it. My biggest problem is not having a track to test on so it's all head work. Maybe that's why my Lola isn't going too well in Can-Am.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Hi all and thanks Aquakiwi, Wobble and Neil.

As stated on rules thread have removed ali rings around body posts athough Dave said they were OK in terms of rules.

Also removed partly installed brass mounting posts.

Have replaced both with sections cut from ballpoint pen outer. I think better than what I had. Probably lighter and very easy to work with. Hopefully strong enough.

On glue also tried UHU Super Glue which appeared to work and ADOS F2 which I am still not sure of. HUMBROL product sounds interesting.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Hi all.

Have Googled gluing.

Probably should be obvious but where styrene to styrene you need to use solvent glue like any plastic glue. As stated previously this virtually welds pieces together.

Where two different materials not so clear.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

IHi all.

Progress has been a bit slow but I think I finally have basic car completed. Still thinking of body roll limiters as chassis misses ones built into body.

Some photos below - painting will start as soon as the sun comes out.

Hopefully it will go OK but at least look pretty.

IMG_6573_zpscb7154dd.jpg

IMG_6574_zps21a76854.jpg

IMG_6575_zps7e61378a.jpg

IMG_6576_zps15f6e29f.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Edited by charlesx