New Scale Track At Mobile Raceways

Tony.A

A new flat track has been built and assembled at Mobile Raceways.As this weekend marks 20 years of being in business it has been called "The Anniversary Track".Pictures of this new track can be seen on their facebook page.First race on the this new track will be this coming Wednesday night.

The flat track that was used for last years scale nats is still there.Tim the corner leading onto the main straight after the bridge is slightly banked.Every other corner is flat and there is quite a few esses and undulations.A good mix of corners.Direction of travel is anti-clockwise,same as the other flat track.Sorry guys i haven't got the hang of including links or pics in my posts yet.First race on this track will be this coming Wednesday night and i will report what it is like to drive on.This track replaces the one that was sold to Poppa's.

Hi guys as promised i am writing to let you know what i think of the Anniversary Track after having my first drive and races on it tonight.After last year's Scale Nats some people rated the Flat Black as one of the best scale tracks in the country.The Anniversary Track has raised the bar as it is an even better track to drive on especially for the 1/24 cars.It has got a great mixture of high and medium speed sections mixed in with tricky esses especially the downhill section after the long right hand sweeper.We raced Slot It Group C and 16d GT1 Flexis on it and after the racing finished i gave my retro cars and my plafit and scale auto cars a run on it and they all handled very well and were a delight to drive and it is a track will provide great racing on and a challenge to find that last couple of tenths of a second on.

Tony,

All I can say is; you guys have some amazing tracks down there - wish we had a centre like MR up here in Qld.

From what I was told the Scale Auto Enduro in September will be on the new track - so all of us interstaters coming down for that will be looking forward to driving on it. Please keep us up to date with lap times and developments as it always help with the mental processing of a new track.

Thanks,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Guest jazzbell

PVH rang me last night around 10pm all excited about the new track telling me how great it is.

Can't wait for a drive on this one.

Regards shane

Jan i will let you know about lap times for the Scale Autos,etc as i plan on doing more testing over the weekend.

Shane and imugford i promise you that you will thoroughly enjoy driving on it and the way it flows is like a real race track.

Thank you for the warm welcome today tony and the guys a mobile raceway. The anniversary track is very good to drive. It was good to take a bob Crawford group 12 motor in a new flexi I built for a spin on both the anniversary and the blue king

It was nice to meet you too Ian and i am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Mobile Raceways.For your information Jan Scale Autos are currently doing 7.3 second lap time with Mini Z and Can/Am dipping into the high 6.9's.Sealed 16d Flexis are doing 6.1 seconds.I expect these times to drop a bit as more rubber gets put down and the more people get used to the Anniversary Track.

Tony,

Thanks for the info mate. There is no doubt that the times will drop as the green track comes up to speed and the racers hone their skills. I was talking to a guy (who shall remain nameless as he is a big supporter of MR) the other day after his first drive on the track. He had a few concerns - the closeness of the wall to the outside lanes as he kept hitting them around the corners. This problem is not only for the driver driving the outside and hitting the walls, but also for him not being able to avoid cars collecting in front of him and badly impacting on his performance, through no fault of his own. Also the silly chicanes in the back sections of the track, especially the one on the far end of the doughnut where it is very difficult to see. The one at the end of the main straight is no problem - in fact the Gary Gerding track in Chicago has it too and is one of the best tracks I've ever driven, but it serves the purpose of slowing the cars where they are at their top end speed before hitting a corner. I know it is all the same to everyone but whilst I personally like a drivers track, these little kid like play bits are best left to train sets, not serious slot car road tracks.

Just my 2 cents.

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Tony,

Thanks for the info mate. There is no doubt that the times will drop as the green track comes up to speed and the racers hone their skills. I was talking to a guy (who shall remain nameless as he is a big supporter of MR) the other day after his first drive on the track. He had a few concerns - the closeness of the wall to the outside lanes as he kept hitting them around the corners. This problem is not only for the driver driving the outside and hitting the walls, but also for him not being able to avoid cars collecting in front of him and badly impacting on his performance, through no fault of his own. Also the silly chicanes in the back sections of the track, especially the one on the far end of the doughnut where it is very difficult to see. The one at the end of the main straight is no problem - in fact the Gary Gerding track in Chicago has it too and is one of the best tracks I've ever driven, but it serves the purpose of slowing the cars where they are at their top end speed before hitting a corner. I know it is all the same to everyone but whilst I personally like a drivers track, these little kid like play bits are best left to train sets, not serious slot car road tracks.

Just my 2 cents.

Jan

Hi Jan,

This track is a drivers track and that the problem with clipping the outside walls and having cars parked infront of you is the same as what can happen on a king track or any other kind of track.The esses after the donut was put in place to slow the cars before entering the long right hand sweeper and for me it does not create a problem.The downhill section after the sweeper could have done without the left hand kink but it does add an extra challenge and driven accordingly you can make up some time through there.

Yes Jan i am a supporter of MR(and i don't know who you are referring to) but i have also raced on a lot of different types of tracks both banked and flat and so i do have a fair understanding of what is good for a track and what isn't and i have been involved in designing tracks as well and have been racing for 45+ years.

I have just got home from a very happy couple of hours on this new track. I love it!

Let me get the potential criticisms out of the way first. Yes, the walls are quite close but PVH is quite confident that he can extend the run-off without major difficulty. To do so didn't seem to be a problem for him, and he was quite welcoming of the feedback. As for the "squiggly bits" there is no need to worry at all. The one at the end of the main straight is not an issue at all, and in fact it seems to reduce the criticality of your braking point. The next one is completely imperceptible. The third one (the "chicane" after the sweeper) does NOT drive like a fiddly bit! It changes your rhythm into the penultimate corner, but in a good and very interesting way. It makes a potentially bland sequence of corners much more interesting and rewarding. I like the banked corner into the main straight, because you are completely flat through it so it effectively extends the straight while keeping the footprint small (as well as reducing the marshaling load).

Now to the positives. I think it is more technical than Hornsby, but less technical than Garry's track. It has an beautiful "flow" to it while keeping the rhythm ever changing. When you get a good lap together it really feels right and you know you nailed it. You also get very good feedback so that any come-offs are easy to understand and come with plenty of warning. Best of all, there seems to be very little difference in speed between the lanes. Although there is a big difference between the "flavour" from one end of the track to the other, the lap times are very similar indeed. I don't think it has any gutter lanes. The lane spacings are very close, and similar to Garry's track. That means you have to use some skill (and courtesy) to make the pass. Again, if you get it right it feels rewarding.

I think it's a work of genius and I love it.

Edited by Tim Tyler

13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.

Tom you have backed up what I have been saying about the track nicely and we are certainly lucky at MR to have such great tracks.Garry you made an excellent point in that a raised driver platform would improve the view and it would not need to be too high but you also have to take into consideration that having a raised drivers platform would make it awkward for someone in a wheelchair to be able to change lanes in the required time.

Tim,

Excellent perspective by a well respected driver - thank you. Of course the fact that you can drive it does not mean the rest of us will be able to. But then again, that is just the way it is - not everyone can be a slot God.

Hats off to PvH for a great track and positively accepting constructive input - we all look forward to driving on it in September with the Scale Auto Enduro.

Cheers,

Jan