New Scale Track At Mobile Raceways

Tony.A

Raced 16d flexi GT1 on the Anniversary track last night and some improvements have been made with skirting around the track and some advertising signs on the corners and that visibility of the esses after the donut and the downhill esses has been improved.

• 2 weeks later...

The Anniversary Track has been lengthened by four metres with the front straight lengthened by two metres and now there is a two metre straight after turn one which totally alters the approach to the sweeper under the first bridge.There will be a 3 hour Scale Auto Enduro being run on the track this Saturday night.

I will take a pic when I am there Saturday night.for now if you look at the pic in post#4 the track runs anti clockwise(left to right) with the first corner being the hairpin with the wiggles,the front straight has been lengthened and there is now a straight after the hairpin leading to the sweeper under the bridge

He had the two straights that was taken out of the long black when he put the crossovers in and put them in yesterday as a trial to see what people think of it and he can do a solar thing to the flat black as well just to try different layout ideas

I went down there tonight to practice for tomorrow's race and they had removed the extensions. Apparently it didn't work at all well for the Scaleautos, so it was back to the original layout. My second impression of the track is just as positive as the first: perhaps even more so. It really is a wonderful track to drive on. The outside lanes are not "gutter lanes" at all, in fact you can really make the car fly on them! The walls have been moved back a fraction in a couple of places so that there is no problems at all in that regard.

The lane centres are quite close, so you have to exercise quite some skill when overtaking but I don't see that as an issue. It simply places more emphasis on your race craft. There were quite a few guys there tonight enjoying themselves, which was really good to see. I am sure we will have a very interesting race tomorrow and it looks like we will have plenty of teams present.

Conclusion: all good so far!

13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.

As much as anything it was really nice to see the drivers enjoying themselves and discussing how best to approach the track, what the best lines are, and how fast they could make the next lap. I didn't hear any complaints, that's for sure!

Tom you have backed up what I have been saying about the track nicely and we are certainly lucky at MR to have such great tracks.Garry you made an excellent point in that a raised driver platform would improve the view and it would not need to be too high but you also have to take into consideration that having a raised drivers platform would make it awkward for someone in a wheelchair to be able to change lanes in the required time.

Excellent perspective. We have a wheelchair racer who races with us on a friday night. Rather than worry too much about lane change times we just hit the pause button but getting on or off of a platform is an issue and why should he be placed at a visual disadvantage? It is a tricky thing and I think he just enjoys the night out and some banter but everyone has a dose of competitiveness. It can't be a perfect world and we live with the realities we have to deal with. Good luck with this track from what i hear it is an absolute winner.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

I have just come home from a cracker of a 3 hour Scale Auto Enduro.There was some excellent racing mixed in with the usual carnage especially with some people having their first drive on The Anniversary Track.Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the race and most importantly the track and i certainly would like to see more of this type of racing happening.The results were First Team Warhammer with 1459 Laps,second was Team RTR with 1443 laps,third was Team Wednesday with 1430 laps,fourth was Team Apollo with 1350 laps,fifth was Team Phoenix with 1328 laps and sixth was Team Mutton with 1246 laps.Most laps in a bracket(6 x 30 mins) was 249 laps and the fastest lap time was 6.758 secs.There was only half a second difference in lap times across the whole field.

Well said, Tony. It was great fun, and everybody seemed to really enjoy it. There were lots of happy faces at the end of the night, and an excellent turnout to make six full teams. Just in case you were wondering who was in the teams, they were:

1459 laps Team Warhammer - Brett C, Mark P, Jason Lane

1443 laps Team RTR - Tim Jetson, Ray Murray, Richard

1430 laps Team Wednesday - Bruce D, Murray (fastest man of the night!), Tony Anderson, Laz

1350 laps Team Apollo - Doug, Kevin and Drik

1328 laps Team Phoenix - Chris O'toole, Greg Colgan, TIMMY!

1246 laps Team Mutton - Lloyd, Glen and Andre.

The track seems to be ideal for these cars. There weren't terribly many track calls, and even when a "rider" went bad the car didn't seem to get very damaged by its inevitable sudden stop. As Tony said, there wasn't much difference between the front and the rear of the field, so there were plenty of duels to be had.

A few intersting stats for you:

Fastest lap by team

6.758 - Wednesday - Orange

6.850 - RTR - Yellow

6.877 - Phoenix - Green

6.904 - Warhammer - Yellow

7.119 - Mutton - Blue

7.122 - Apollo - Yellow

Fastest bracket by Team

249 - Warhammer - Orange and Yellow

247 - RTR - Orange

246 - Wednesday - Blue

240 - Phoenix - Green

239 - Apollo - Yellow

232 - Mutton - Orange

Fastest lap by lane

Orange - 6.758 - Wednesday

Blue - 6.759 - Wednesday

Yellow - 6.850 - RTR

Green - 6.856 - Wednesday

White - 6.897 - Wednesday

Red - 6.909 - Phoenix

Thanks to PVH and Greg for organising such an excellent event.

Edited by Tim Tyler

Hi Tim,

So it look to have a fast and slow side. Fastest being Orange, Blue, Yellow and slow side being Green, White, Red. But not as big a difference as we have at HSC.

It is most encouraging to see so many locals supporting this racing at MR. Amazing what a competitive class these Scale Auto's are and how many guys across the country are getting into the fantastic endurance racing they produce.

Already looking forward to the big one in September. Maybe we can now get some Teams starting to enter and show us who will be on the starting grid.

Well done to everyone at MR.....it would seem you have a winning combination all round.

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Yellow is the fastest lane, but I wouldn't class green as one of the slow lanes.

Red is very hard to get a quick lap out of, and White is nearly as bad, although by the time we ran on them it was late in the race, and for me it was more about survival than anything else. :)