Building My First Flm (Oreca)

Boxcutta

Well ... It was early 90s when I played with Box-Flexis. Now I am hoping to get into it again. But things have changed.

I need glasses now, I didn't before. Being lazy and slothful I have only ever used the newsagent-$10-magnifiers .... but building an FLM chassis you need better than magnifiers ... screws are so small.

Anyway I got the chassis (Plafit SLP2) together. Some small bits and pieces left over but they will do for spares .. haha

I know it looks like an enormous amount of toe-out on the front wheels, but thats just the iPhone distortion.

17773946-lg.jpg

17773945-lg.jpg

I was going to fit the carbon fibre parts which I have, but thought that until I learn to drive again I may as well go the alloy. Looks nicer to I think.

Thanx to Werner and Grant for pointing me to the tutorials without which I never would have got this far

Greg

Edited by Boxcutta

done better than me, I stuffed up my 1:32 Plafit big time so noone will see that come Tuesday

Minor stuff-up on Mini-z but I think I can fix that one in time. Glued the body on and even though it was shimmed something happened over night and it dropped major front wheel rub.

I'll blame the cat or the house gecko's or the python in the ceiling, anyone but me.

Well done so far Greg.

And don't thank me Jason pointed me the right way in the first place so not wanting to be a ball hog more than happy to pass on.

.... noone will see that come Tuesday ...

And don't thank me Jason pointed me the right way in the first place so not wanting to be a ball hog more than happy to pass on.

HaHaa ... Mine won't be ready by tomorrow nite either ..... No Oreca body cut out or painted no chance of getting it done but I will still be there .... see ya there Grant

Nice, is there any movement/flex between the chassis pieces?

Yes ... The chasssis is all moving fine. But .... then the tutorial said put two 'roundheaded' screws into the body mounts at the front with the little black springs.

I looked and looked, and then looked under the table an all around the floor ... but no roundheaded black screws ... plenty of little black countersunk ones.

I used the countersunk ones and its obvious they fit the thread but are incorrect ... so I went thru everything again and found two little (very little) round headed grub screws ... this is possibly what the tutorial refers to tho they seem the wrong thread to me .. but perhaps they are cut with a binding thread so they hold.

So the main suspension works fine but the extra bit that lifts the body in tune with the front wheel needs some adjusting ... but I figure until I get the body cutout I may as well leave it till then.

I have looked at the body very carefully and there doesn't seem to be any clear cut line ... so maybe you guess as you go ?

Should find out tomorrow at Poppa's where the xperts are gathered .. haHaa

Greg

• 1 month later...

Hi John ...

It doesn't feel too different to a flexi. I have been driving Stephen's hire flexis (Track Owner) and its a difficult track but been lapping in the 7.5-7.8 seconds.

With the FLM Oreca I was also lapping around the same times and pulled an awesome lap of 7.5 seconds. So .. I was right up myself thinkin I'm in with a chance in this slot car business.

Then the rest of the model car crew arrived and there were FLM Orecas flying around everywhere. I wasn't doin so good .. so Jason re-aligned the front end and then ... man ... did it go .. the next time I checked I was down to 6.5 seconds a lap .. three in a row ... better than sex (almost)

Unfortunately I painted the inside lexen with Humbrol paint. then I glued the headlight inserts in and the body mounts with contact cement. it DISSOLVED all my paintwork. The thing looked like an explosion in a tomato canning factory at sunset ... a total mess. So then I painted it on the outside .. hahaaa

But .. when it hit the track .. every bump .. every knock .. and that humbrol oil paint flaked of like snow ... so all-in-all she ain't the prettiest car on the track at the moment.

17805100-lg.jpg

But ... I'm learnin ... so all cool ... hahaaaa

Greg

Greg,

wasnt it Confucious that said....'doesnt matter if the paint flakes off, as long as it goes fast'?

those were his last words before they hung him.

anyway looks like you having fun, and got real nice people around to help you. good stuff mate.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

Use Parma Faskolor and you won't have to worry about paint flaking off.I's what i use on my flexi lexan bodies and i have never had the paint flake not even in a hard crash.Glad to see that you are enjoying your return to this wonderful hobby and that you also like the track.

Jason spray painting the Faskolor gives a better finish and the coats are thinner and i use a hairdryer to dry the paint inbetween coats.I previously hand painted my bodies but found the fluro colours took quite a few coats to get the finish i wanted.

Personally, I dont think you can go past Tamiya Spray Color for polycarbonate.. doesn't curl the body and one can paints a lot of bodies - thats why all my cars are Blue! well.. actually... not the only reason. Now that I'm getting old its much easier to remember "just look for the blue one" when the power comes on! :D