terry

Whats The Best Adhesive To Glue Your Tyres With

I normally use a "super glue" type product for this job,but I'm really over buying tiny horrible little tubes and finding that once used the thing dries up and its ****** useless!

I know you will be using something better than that,so can you put me in the right direction please?

Thanks for any help,

Terry

I was using PVA or Formula 560, but most recently I've been given a bottle of black, flexible CA to try.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Same as miveson, good stuff.

If you clean the nozzle well after use, it wil last months even out of the fridge.

Hoo Roo

Depends on your circumstances...

If you are gluing to alloy rims, or never intend removing the tyres again off of plastic rims, then pretty much anything can be used...

If you are planing on being able to remove the tyres off of a plastic rim in the future, Contact adheisive (preferably water based) is the better choice.

I was using PVA or Formula 560, but most recently I've been given a bottle of black, flexible CA to try.

The advantages of the Zap black tyre super glue are much more prevelant in RC where the rim actually flexes during use.

In slot cars, the rims are much more solid, or made from aluminium, and hence they have very little flex. Because of this, normal superglue shouldn't shatter when used like it can in RC.

Edited by shadow_rusty

Store the super glue in the fridge and it will last a very long time, even the cheap home brand glue.

I use super glue on my rims and if I have to remove the tire use a little bit of sand paper to clean up an bits of tire still stuck to the rim on the tire truer

Tooth picks are the best way to apply the super glue.

For tyres that require a little stretch to get on the rims, you could get away with it, but tyres that only just fit, they will generally roll off of the rim during hard cornering...

I've even rolled some of my contact adheisive glued tyres off the rim due to the glue not being on thick enough... Re-glued and all ok.

Edited by shadow_rusty

On both plastic and alloy rims I use super glue applied with a toothpick on the inner and outer tyre beads.No problems in changing tyres when needed either.

I have been using a cheap "supa glue" that comes in a bottle nail polish style. The little brush in the bottle is a great applicator and have never had one come unstuck plastic or alloy. It dose make small bits of tyre stick to plastic rims if you remove them

Used plenty of Zappa when I raced plastics but you need something better for heavier cars like plafit and scale auto. Here I use contact cement . How you use it is important. Clean the alloys , clean the inside of the foamies with shellite then coat each with contact cement. Wait 15 - 20 mins. Apply second coat to inside of tire and stretch over rim while glue is wet. Wipe of excess , don't worry too much , you can clean up with shellite later. Some guys dip the rims in shellite but I have found the contact peels off the rim , no good. This process is so good I have had tyres chunk and tear apart before the glue lets go. I'm sure this would work great on plastics but not sure about glue damage to painted rims etc.

I just found with plastics that after a while the super glue style product would let go no matter what I tried , I think it is because it is a brittle glue that is also susceptible to oils.