dazza

Timing Set Ups

Hi I need some advice in setting up a timing system for an 8 lane timber track and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a full track mate rig. Can anyone offer any ideas please??

Cheers Dazza.

Midwestern Model Raceway.

Dazza,

I have been researching myself and found a few things that may help you (weeded down for your convenience).

http://www.auslot.co...o-interrupters/

http://slotcarillust...ead.php?t=54337

Also If you try Ultimate Racer 3.0 (not the latter 3.0.31 as it costs) it allows for a serial connection if you don't have an LPT port as most comps don't now.

I haven't tried it yet so I am not sure if it will work OK.

I have install file PM me if you want it.

It also allows for 6 lanes, but you will need an LPT connection for that many serial only allows 4 connections as input.

You can use an LPT plug with usb adapter and a patch to convert USB to a com port as detailed in the latter link.

The common here is SlotsNZ, he is extremely clear in his information that even an electronics dummy like me can comprehend what's going on.

Thank god for gurus and good luck.

Edited by ZeGas

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Just seen Photo interrupter on Jaycar website for $3.50.

http://www.jaycar.co...w.asp?ID=ZD1901

The consensus appears to be their ZD1950 is next to useless unless very close to IR LED so no good for a light bridge.

And the old ZD1951 from DSE are impossible to get now (if anyone has any I'll take 6 please :D or if anyone knows of a suitable replacement)

But the ZD1901 has both LED & Sensor 3mm apart so could fit in a slot.

I guess it would have to be in an area that the nose doesn't come up or is prone to deslotting but for $3.50 per lane it won't break the bank if it doesn't work.

Or you could pick up heaps from Hong Kong for a few bucks at various widths.

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/photo-interrupter

Edited by ZeGas

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

does race coordinator support 8 lanes?

Yep it does Shane.

Dazza has also asked me for some info. by P.M. which I've answered this morning. He can copy it here if he wants. No secrets on the timing stuff.

I DID mention to him, that there is a new version Trackmate board due out shortly which will be native USB, self-powered, and will connect to a new range of peripherals. I should have had a test unit in hand by now, so I can get familiar, and see whether I can continue to make up cabling myself to make systems more economical to supply down-under, or will have to switch to peripherals ex Daniel. But he's running late with production, so it will have to be when I get back to NZ middle June.

He is also writing a software update for the new boards of course, and has promised to include another option for "lap racing" we'll call "all must finish", which was an option in Mario's DOS software.

I means if you set say 15 laps for a race, the timing continues until each driver has completed their 15 laps, and the elapsed time for each driver's 15 laps then goes into the accumulation for each lane.

It eliminates dead-heats absolutely - unless you tie to 1/10,000th of a second. ;)