Round 2 Shelmore Park Tasmania

39 replies to this topic

#21 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,859 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

Charles only RIR and Alexis are last years cars.
The Grandkids were very technical in picking a car this year, they all liked the Yellow one, because it was bright!
Very hard to compare from year to year as drivers were running on different lanes. Bruce probably drove on red last year.

#22 Stubbo

Classic Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for the round Phil. Well done to the Grandkids. Seems like they are showing up the old man!

Send through the spreadsheet when you can and I'll update all the results and series points.
Alan Stubbings

#23 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Phil. Regardless a great improvement I am sure.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#24 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

THanks for running the round - looks like I have plenty of work to do to get the car competitive..... :)

#25 alexis in greece

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Phil for the round and congratulations to the grand kids and slot1quick.Re car it is not exacty the same ,chassis has been modified from pivoting joint to torsion bar.
Posted Image

#26 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

Hi Charles, new chassis this time round. Bit different in some aspects from last years, which was the same chassis that won the event the year before, but it basically derived from that chassis. This chassis ran second (100.2 laps) to Matts (100.6) 2 years ago at Shelmore and the same chassis and motor ran (94.8 laps) last year
I put the main contributing factor in the difference in this year to last year and the year before down to grip. Body mount had no float last year but I believe this is insignificant to why it was not quite on the pace, motor is still strong.

This is the chassis from the previous 2 years

Posted Image
Total weight = 64 grams 47% front/ 53% rear
Wheelbase=72.25
Center of guide to center of front axle=12.7mm
Motor mount face to center rear axle=12.7mm
Chassis rails = 1.6mm piano wire
NSR guide with ninco spring, notice the bend in the chassis rails to accommodate spring and maintain 1.6mm ground clearance.
24:8 gear ratio
Paul Gage XPGs'
Home made fronts
solarbotics 24100 rpm

This years chassis, mine on the right with the green shocker springs.

Posted Image

Total weight= 59 grams 49% front / 51% rear
Wheelbase= 72.5-73.5mm pod is set to allow about 1mm of float
Center guide pivot to center front axle =12mm
Motor mount face to rear axle =12mm
Chassis rails = 1.6mm piano wire
Slot It guide
23:1 gear ratio
P Gage XPGs'
Home made fronts
Solarbotics 23900 rpm

This chassis may be slightly lighter but it has more weight down low, given the same wheel diameter and overall it is narrower. Both chassis are set up to allow for maximum guide penetration into the slot and both need max grip because they are built with a low center of gravity. A grippy tyre on a car with high COG is going to tip over easy, Stubbos Brabham my Brabham rely heavily on grip especially due to the lack of brakes of the solarbotic and their weight. This years chassis has a lot of flex in it, it will be interesting to see if the tyres feather up on the edges and go off. Stubbo has put more weight in his. Apart from this and a couple of cosmetic things they are identical, even motor rpm (both 23900)
hope this helps.
"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#27 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,859 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:43 AM

Drivers comments as Noted by Haystack during the race.

Posted Image

#28 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for the feed back.
Ha, tell Callum not to worry....I'll be driving it...!? Besides his car will prolly have a colored light fitted to it..
Maybe Stubbos motor is on the way out, both his and mine tested 23900 rpm no load.
"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#29 manimmal

I'm Rad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

I already have a good idea on how to improve for next year, as I see my weight distribution is too far rearward, which is echoed in feedback from both rounds, ie tippy at times, and front end floating. Thanks again guys, the information I am receiving surpasses that of various previous proxy efforts.
My goal for this series was an ambitious top 5, and whilst this is unlikely I can see my t77 finding a top 5 race result on the right track (fingers crossed!).
My mum says I'm an excellent driver

#30 haystack

Lawn Tractor Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Marshaling from the vantage point at the top of the back straight, I had good views over all the track except thru Monaco and down to the harbour.

So, a few observations;

@miveson - your car sits a little taller than most of the field, higher CG maybe, but balance good. Looking down the back straight, it was noticeable that last, under braking, the rear of your car would pull left and slide a bit. With the driver comment that it felt a bit tight!?
@manimmal - car seemed good, very drivable. Replacement motor? Not the most powerful here. Comments that it could handle more, as it was driven quite briskly.~Callan liked it coz he could give it a bit of a thrash.
@stubbo - car cruised up hills and out of corners, then went like a startled rabbit downhill. Perhaps the gearing was a trifle tall for hill-climbing at Shelmore. Stu's pulled a bit better. Very smooth and neat. Rolled well when power was cut.
@slo1quick - Much the same as Stubbo's!?! Bruce commented it had absolutely no brakes...but it didn't matter, coz he could drive it as hard as he liked!
@terry newsome - was noticeably tight/low geared? STRONG brakes, stop on thri'penny bit..gradual acceleration, otherwise quite good.
@alexis in greece - car seemed balanced and drifted through easy corners, power/speed good, however...not much bite out of corners. Would oscillate tail -0.5/0.5/-0.5, then gain grip as it straightened. Probably cost 1-2 car-lengths in tight/uphill corners.
@lenny broke - nice neat car, no vices, but not much mustard and/or grip. Others were quicker.
@charlesx - good car, quick, tail snapped out occasionally to catch the unwary.
@pauls slots - a good car slightly underpowered. This was one they trusted to hustle, went best with a touch of the strap.
@FPR7 - good honest car, could be pushed on, reliable handling...bit down on power though.

Stack
Chris
H.M.C.C

#31 lenny broke

7th runner up 1978 South Australian Womp Championship

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

G'day
Good on to the silverware getters for their results, the Grand Kids, Stu and Terry, it looks like you have a good consistent runner there Terry!
and well done to Paulslots on his series debut result.
Interesting that all three SA cars have been noted as being down on power. We all are running the BWA motor and I think they all may have come from the same order, so it looks like we got the friday afternoon builds I think.
My car from last year had one of the old unlabelled motors that Al originally sourced and in back to back testing with this years car I felt the older car pulled better than the new one. It has done a lot of mile now from lat years series and some testing for one of our local classes at FPR. I didn't get time to go looking for another motor so was hoping thta the new mill would pick up with some use. it's not looking likely. Looks like a change of motor supplier for next year
I thought my tyres might have worked a little better here as thats where they originated from. Phil sent a couple of sets over and said one set of tyres were a new compound ,maybe a bit softer. I wasn't sure which was which but I think they may have gone on to Paul's car.

Anyway enough of my excuses.

Thanks to Phill and his team of worthies for the driving and thanks Stack, for marshalling and comments
Cheers
Alan.
so where are we going next????

#32 haystack

Lawn Tractor Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

Alan, a question about result:

Correct me if I'm wrong; I just checked the series placings, and noticed that Marek(F1950), was attributed 0 point score for 17th this round.

We used straight rotation for this round(1,2,3,4), but with the vagaries of round robin, some cars do partial lane allotment and cycle back at the end for their last brackets.

I am sure that,though his car was off track for repairs under the green flag, Phil had it taped up and going in the last bracket to finish. Double check with Phil, but I don't think he was DNF.
Chris
H.M.C.C

#33 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

@miveson - your car sits a little taller than most of the field, higher CG maybe, but balance good. Looking down the back straight, it was noticeable that last, under braking, the rear of your car would pull left and slide a bit. With the driver comment that it felt a bit tight!?

All good, I tried to keep the car correct by using the same size rear/fronts. Clearly I should have used smaller fronts or trued the tyres further. Last minute dramas with motor didn't help with setup.

Anyways, thanks for the comments and drive..... if it's taught me anything, I need to find a way to run these proxy cars before sending them away....

Mark

#34 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,859 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

Stack is right the Kermit Lotus did return for the last bracket, repaired during the race.
I agree with Lenny about the BWA motors.
The labelled ones do not seem as good as the unlabeled ones. Problem is that Al and Art brought thousands from a special run, so all the new ones are from one batch and with Arts slow service they are likely to be around for a long time. Terry's is certainly the best one I have seen.
We only tend to use the SRP 16 down here, it has more torque and revs than the BWA. The Solarbotics does struggle on this track as it is a stop go type track.

#35 Stubbo

Classic Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

View Posthaystack, on 01 May 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Alan, a question about result:

Correct me if I'm wrong; I just checked the series placings, and noticed that Marek(F1950), was attributed 0 point score for 17th this round.

We used straight rotation for this round(1,2,3,4), but with the vagaries of round robin, some cars do partial lane allotment and cycle back at the end for their last brackets.

I am sure that,though his car was off track for repairs under the green flag, Phil had it taped up and going in the last bracket to finish. Double check with Phil, but I don't think he was DNF.

I think I see where the problem lies. I'll fix it later tonight.
Alan Stubbings

#36 lenny broke

7th runner up 1978 South Australian Womp Championship

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hi Phil
I was intending to chase up a SRP 16 but didn't get to it in time, next year now.

I meant to comment on my fastest race laps. the times shown don't look that far off the front runners and they were a vast improvement over the qualifying times. Are they correct?

Alan

#37 Pauls Slots

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

Hi all,
Thanks Alan for the notice (this is your fault mate)
Results appear to be closer than I expected
The #22 Cooper as also mentioned by Mivision had only a couple of shake down laps befor getting posted out.
Next time would like to be more organised and not so flat out at work.
Well done to all and look forward to seeing all cars at some time in Adelaide.

Paul
Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough

#38 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,859 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

Alan Yes there was some transpositions in the fastest laps,looks like it happened when I added the tenths. Sorry guys all O/K now. I went back to the original race computer to sort the fastest laps.

The results posting above is now corrected.

#39 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for the feed back guys, it seems brake fade is a real hinder with the solarbotics ...
Be interested in some feed back on the #85 and #16 cars of Rhys and John too, they look to be pretty good runners
"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#40 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,859 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

Stu these locals were interested in seeing how their cars would compare the official entrants. Both cars run 9:24 SRP motors,BWA wheels Tassie tyres.
I should have deleted them from the results sheet,so as not to confuse anyone. :angry:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users