Race 8 Drew's Raceway Auckland

drw21

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone... the cars have finally arrived.. i will check over them tmoro when i have more time.. still confirming times for qualifying,but possibly Wednesday if all goes well and then the Saturday for racing.. but will keep ya's posted.. good luck to all for the final round

Hi Guys, Qualifying for the Race 8 of the 2014 CanAm Proxy Series has been done.

Drew's track is short but has great flow.

It would be fair to say that almost every car is now showing signs of tire wear and I guess that is expected with all the racing they have done since Race 1 back in March.

This has to be a tribute to the builders and the hosts that have 'nursed' the cars along the way.

All of the cars had tires and braids cleaned, a light lube and on the track for some contoller adjusting laps before the timer started and then in to qualifying.

We started from the bottom of the points table for qualifying order with Nittro0440 (sorry Wazza) 1st, then Freddie Vanger, Wobble.........etc.......

All cars were driven at a good pace and not pushed too hard and this is the result.

Only 1 car had a mechanical issue, that was Autny Ellis' Ferrari, near the end of the qualifying run a rear wheel came loose enough to allow the wheel to slid along the axle.

Upon further insection I found that the thread in the rim has become stripped. John, I'll e-mail you as what you want me to do it.

race8q_zps4fa727cf.jpg

QRace8_zps5710d2eb.jpg

Edited by drw21

I guess someones always got to go first , no worries Dave .. wasn't expecting to much from the M20 for this years proxy ... Next year will be a different story ... Well done to Drew and your crew for qualifying ... Good luck everyone for the last round .... Just a quick side note ... my track for the Group 5 proxy will be Braided ...so expect a little more from my track for the next proxy series ...

with comments like... "smooth & stable" .... "ok to drive"... & .. "holds track well" ....coming from the last 2 rounds,,, I'm thinking someone has tampered with the cars. :lol: lol ....... or maybe I better start the build for next year series & start flogging it now... & shake the dust off......

cheers .... great to see the cars are still up there slightly improving..

Hi Guys, CanAm concludes today with Race 8 on Drew's track.

It's a short track with great flow, the faster cars may not have an advantage as the straights aren't that long, that makes this track a great 'leveller'.

I'll be taking pix and we will have the final results posted asap.

Good luck to all entrants and drivers.

Neil, your cars have improved over the Series with the help of Chas (I think it was Chas) glueing your tires - your cars will be ready for next year!!

AuntyEllis - I have glued the loose wheel to the axle and the gear so that should last (hopefully).

ALL THE BEST GUYS!!!!!!!!

Wobble - NSR Super Grips are the way to go, Mike Doo showed us Auckland guys how well they last and how well they grip, the best all round (pun not intented) tire for RTR cars, they hold lots of power and will last the distance in a Series like this too.

Edited by drw21

Good stuff. Just got in in time to see the very last race. Dave, that 917/30 really is a monster, made me dizzy just watching it. Dunno how you drive it. Racking my brains trying to imagine what I can do to a T70 to make it go half as well.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Wobble - All will be reveled soon. No secrets, just a build list with pix of that 917-30 coming soon.

We had a great time running the final race today.

A THANK YOU goes out to =>

Mike Doo for the job of time keeping,

Drew Vessey for being the host with those great scones,

Alex and Allan for being patient marshals,

Kevin, Drew and Dion for driving duties,

AND ALL YOU GUYS THAT ENTERED THE 2014 CANAM PROXY SERIES, without you guys it wouldn't happen - THANK YOU ALL - Dave.

Here are the results for Race 8

Race8results_zps1db93de2.jpg

Nitro0440, Freddie Vanger, Alexis in Greece.........

groupH_zpsd6d47ab8.jpg

CharlesX, AuntyEllis, Wobble.........

groupG_zps19a8d40d.jpg

DrSpeed, Trent Senoir, AquaKiwi............

groupF_zps7d6e5078.jpg

Neil Land, Neil Land, Mike Bowman..........

groupE_zpsa445ebe1.jpg

HGPanel, Dion Degee, Bunyip...........

groupD_zps271930b1.jpg

Stubbo, Paul LeBreton, Tony Cook.............

groupC_zpsd5eb3fa8.jpg

Orakei Racer, Drew Vessey...........

groupB_zps04d6b889.jpg

DRW21 and Drew Vessey.

groupA_zps9a165260.jpg

DSC03735_zps83f9e049.jpg

This shows how close some of the racing was!!!

DSC03754_zps15734724.jpg

Edited by drw21

Great job well done guys , congratulations to the top 3 , another close round .... Looks like i'll have to wait for next years proxy , to try and run with the front runners with a much improved car .... Still fun regardless weather you come first or last ....

Good on you Dave and Drew. You set the bar pretty high. Something to aim for so count me In for next year as well. Good to see what it's like to have a car competing with some of the best in NZ. Gotta go and do some work on a Capri and Beemer 320 now. cheers, Bram

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

well the Mac really outclassed the Porsche in the final round........ Really impressed with my first entry into a proxy ,, apart from fairly consistent results across all rounds (& a few "rabbit out of the hats")..... I'm quite stoked the Mclaren will be coming home with it's mirrors.. LOL :D ......

Thanks to all involved .... Looking forward for to the next New Zealand Canam Proxy

Bring on the Group 5's

Thanks for the great series Dave, all the track hosts, drivers, marshals and all other helpers. Congrats too to the podiumites.

Big thanks to all the competitors for providing such great cars and entertainment even if had to enjoy getting closer to the back of the field as the proxy progressed.

For the rest of the Taranaki team was good to see brother Paul's Alfa run well at least most of the time, Mike did well for a last minute effort and Trent's car still managed to run mid-field. Hopefully we will be better prepared next year. Too much time spent on overseas proxies.

Really looking forward to Group 5.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Thanks you guys.. Was a pleasure hosting the event and driving the cars... thanks to all that participated.. some cool cars entered,Congratulations to Dave for taking the overall win.I'm certainly looking forward to racing and hosting next years proxy.. Can't wait to see how the Group 5 proxy goes next.. til then..

Neil - you did very well for your 1st bash at the CanAm Proxy, like many others I really get the feeling that a lot was gained which will make the racing even closer next year!!

CharlesX - Thank you, I couldn't agree with you more, once again it has been a great Series.

Drew - Thank You - it was a hole bunch of fun.

Hi Guys, here are the comments from Race 8. Sorry for been late.

Nitro 0440 McLaren M20 Good Power,Tippy on L/H Cnrs

Freddie Vanger Porsche 917K Tires need sorting,Hopping under power

Alexis In Greece Ferrari 512S Nice to drive but lacking rear grip (NSR 5208 would fix)

CharlesX McLaren M6A Nice to drive,but jumps out when pushing hard

Wobble Lola T70 Nice and Stable on cnrs but lacks grip out of cnrs

John Ellis Ferrari 612 Nice and stable,good power

Trent Senior McLaren M20 Goes Nice but needs more flow

Dr Speed McLaren M6A Smooth Stable

AquaKiwi Ferrari 612 Smooth Stable,needs a little more power

Neil Land Porsche 917-30 Goes Good,needs tires (NSR 5212)

Neil Land McLaren M20 Goes Good,glue and true tires

Mike Bowman McLaren M8D Fast,Good Brakes,Needs Lead in Front

HGPanel Porsche 917K Nice power and Brakes,tires gone off

Dion Degee McLaren M8D Nice and Stable (kicks out,exiting corners)

Bunyip Porsche 917K Nice to Drive,Stable

Paul Le Breton Alfa 33/3 Nice to Drive,Maybe More Brakes,Good Flow

Stubbo Ford GT40 Nice and stable Good power and Brakes

Tony Cook Porsche 917K Goes Well,Will be one to watch next proxy

Andrew Vessey Chaparral2E Smooth Stable,Needs more tire

Orakei Racer McLaren M8D Smooth Fast,tippy L/H corners

Andrew Vessey M8D Smooth Fast,could be more flowy

DRW21 Porsche 917-30 Fast Smooth,Amazing Car

Edited by drw21