Race 4 Oakland Raceway

drw21

Cars have arrived - mercifully. NZ Post just dumped a box on my doorstep, where it sat all weekend while we were away.

***Glad we live in a safe neighborhood.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Good to know Mark, Could you please give them a check over when you can, just in case there may be some damage.

I expect they will be fine with all that bubble wrap.

I'll get HG's 917 sent to you tomorrow, it's ready to race again - Dave

All the best for Race 4.

Edited by drw21

Good thanks Dave.

Can you send me your latest version of the spreadsheet. I plan to run qualifying Tuesday.

I'll let the guys know on Thursday at club, and anyone who wants to turn up can mess around.

Maybe I'll even get motivated and fix up a live feed

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Okay, round 4 qualifying will be Tuesday night, and the round will run on Thursday night.

Mac and I are driving a lane each, Pie-bone a lane if he is there, and we'll toss a coin between Munter and Wongy if all are there.

Okay, I have just unpacked the cars to give them a once over and lay out for qualifying.

I've only been through 6 so far, but there are a couple of problems.

Alexis - the amount of pod float on your car (2+ mm at rear of pod) causes the rear of the chassis to drag on the track under straight line acceleration. I could hear the scraping quite distinctly, so here are pics on a setup block. Does it have suspension? it feels like it does; and is set pretty soft.

It's detrimental to car performance; but more importantly, it could damage my track surface. So it cannot run as is.

Dave, what are the rules on repairs? It seems this has probably been present since first scrutineering unless his tyres have worn a lot.

10259740_574290726012504_4739712913005266940_n.jpg

10168048_574290732679170_3511897596470421988_n.jpg

Paul L. You car sounds sweet as a kitten and is running smoothly at present, but I notice one tyre has two tears in it. Was this picked up at all while at home tracks Taranaki? It can run, but if it fails during this or a subsequent round, it will require a penalty change, and will have lost round points as well from when it fails.

1897845_574290736012503_6499956572144690995_n.jpg

Okay, rest of scrutineering done.

Not much else to report.

Freddie - you have a tyre beginning to delaminate.There is a small shudder in your car under acceleration. I don't think it is cause by the delamination as the car is still cornering smoothly, but if it becomes more pronounced, you may need to request a tyre change in a round or two.

1912252_574297496011827_1951028571685172496_n.jpg

Oh, and several cars should be disqualified for "speeding" --- there's some real nice runners in the pack.

And this is the layout, it has some scenery now, just didn't have a pic handy.

65 feet, Only one corner is fixed radius, all the others have an apex, to make it "drive" more smoothly, as it has a lot of bends for the length

oakland-semi-fin.jpg

Hi Mark.

Alexis's car - Ferrari No.91 - I had to glue the rear non-drive side bearing in as it kept popping out. Previously when it did this car had no ground clearance. Did my repair fail or did I glue incorrectly.

Alternatively in my hurry to get away did I not re-assemble properly. Alexis should not be penalised if it was my fault. Do not think I re-checked clearance once I finished my repair. This car has come all the way from Greece. Big apologies to Alexis if I stuffed up.

Young Paul's car - Alfa No.33 - tear has been in tyre since early proxy 2013. Do not think it has got any worse. Here is hoping.

Freddie Vanger - Green Porsche 917 - this car has performed poorly since start. Thought it might have had broken motor mount like HGpanel but looks fine. You could be right re tyre.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Chas, it's not your repair. It is that it can swing from 1.5mm ground clearance, to scraping with the load from the acceleration- as per the pic where i just rest my finger with some grams weight on it. It is "very soft" in the pod loading

Hi Guys, Chas is right about the split in the Alfa's tires, they were like that out of the box, it should be fine.

With Alexis car - I don't recall the chassis going that low, wasn't an issue up here so please do what you can Mark, we need to keep all the cars going as well as possible.

All the best for the Qualifying session tonight and a big THANK YOU to the helpers too!

Thanks Mark - Dave

Edited by drw21

Okay, I've pulled Alexis' car apart.

The first thing that happened was the right front body post came away from the body - "it" unscrewed and remained threaded to the screw with the chassis.

That was easily fixed, shock-proof glue just curing off.

Meanwhile I've looked long and hard at the chassis and pod, both in hand, and many "starts" in front of me on the track.

I cannot see the chassis touching, so the sound and the appearance are different.

The tyres look like silicons? and the ride is pretty hard. So I am now suspecting the "scraping" sound I am hearing is a reverberation between the body, pod and chassis. The tyres seem a bit off-round, and there is definitely some resonance. It has a bit of a hop under load.

Bottom line though, it looks safe to run.... so guns ahead at 7pm

Chas - your repair is VERY neat and tidy. You could repair broken chassis for me any day.

Thanks Mark. That is a relief. Saw Dave's comment too.

Best of luck with round. Guys here really enjoyed running these cars particularly on Trent's track - The Rock Raceway at Bellblock. The tight corners on Mike's track - Bowman Raceway proved a problem for some of the less forgiving/higher geared/less smooth cars.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

I ran two of my quickest current models before qualifying, both for comparison, and to warm myself up, and to make sure the track was really clean.

Slot.it Matra MS-670, which is stock, but N22s glued and trued, and silly quick for a 65 - 80 sports. I did 5.177

Slot.it Porsche 911 GT1, which has been "beefed up" with a 25K flat-6 RS, and really blueprinted all round - 5.080

Good to see my cars still hangin in there......... interestingly I watch the results waiting for my McLaren to shine over my Porsche..... it goes to show how a car that is more reliable in handling will give the driver more confidence to push constantly & consistently .......

When the cars were home they both had a shake down of 100 laps .......

The Porsche ..

I can easily remember how The Porsche was solid as a rock through all the track ..... I could drive it on its limit lap after lap & couldn't better its lap time after its first 20 laps..... This car was a nice drive... very predictable

As for McLaren ..

It was a blast to drive... seemed to have a slightly livelier motor... but a lot of body language through the corners.... this car was easy to see (or deceivingly telling me) that it was close to its limit..... (funnily enough and consistent to the past results) the McLaren sat nicely at 0.1sec slower than the Porsche.... "but", was able to accomplish a "one & only, gut twisting, arse tightening lap that was easily 0.15 sec. quicker than the Porche.. though I couldn't achieve it regularly with out de-slotting consistently... a very random car when driven hard.

Enjoying sitting back waiting on the news... would love to see more pic.s (with some New Zealand scenery)...... thumbs up to all running the events.......& to the competitors... my brains lathering for next year. ;)

Thank You Mark for posting the Qualifying results and comments, great to see a picture of the Race 4 track too.

All the best for Race day Mark and good luck to all entrants too - Dave

Edited by drw21

Okay folks, it's the big day today.

Today has been declared a "Mac free day", not in the interests of avoiding junk food, but because the little fella has been brought to heel, and been led away by his nose to do family stuff........

So drivers are me, Munter, and 2 of Pie-guy, Smithy and Wongy