2014 Tasman Cup Round 1.

Stubbo

Round 1 of the Tasman Cup gets underway this coming weekend.

I am working out of town until Thursday so the schedule will be as follows.

Friday: Collect all the cars and head down to the Southern Loop.

Saturday: Scrutineering and tech inspection.

Qualifying.

I'll try and post up details of the tech inspection with the qualifying results.

Sunday: Raceday.

Format. There will be 2 drivers. Each car will be driven on the middle lane in each direction. So we should have 4 heats. If time gets away we may reduce that to three heats.

The photo below is how the track was. The middle lane is still the same. The outside lanes now form part of a rally track so when you see photo's of the race you will have to picture the middle lane only.

IMG_3656.jpg

Length: 9.083m (29.80’)

Surface: Routed MDF, Gloss enamel surface recessed copper braid.

Power: HWI-1288 0-15A, 5-15V. Track will be run at 12V.

Controllers: I use a Professor Motor but the drivers will use their own.

Timing: Trackmate

Best Tire Choice: Rubber or Urethane

Alan Stubbings

OK guys, a bit behind time but here are the qualifying results.

Would love chat but we have to go racing.

I'm having trouble with my computer.

Qual order is

I'll put up more details later tonight.

Alan Stubbings

Round 1 has been run and won. More details will come later, Stubbo has been having computer issues and will get results up later tonight when he is back home in town.

I will post up my notes after the results are in. I must say thanks to everyone who went to the effort to enter. They are a great bunch of cars to see and drive, well done guys!

Apologies for the delay

G'day Guys,

Firstly sorry about the delays but the best laid plans can go wrong at times.

Anyway round 1 has been run and here are the results. Its late so I hope I have compiled everything OK. If you see any errors please let me know.

Firstly a couple of bits of housekeeping.

A big thanks to Stu not only for helping out and running the round with me but for one hell of a chassis. It is a gem.

Some of the cars gave me in particular a fair bit of grief in some runs. I just couldn't seem to get things going with some of them so I apologise to those entrants.

I have more notes and details which I will post up tomorrow, but for now here are the round I results.

2014TasmanCupRound1results.jpg

Thanks again to Stu for the wonderful chassis work. Congratulations to Stu for 2nd place and to Terry for 3rd. Scuderia Veloce had a good day.

I'll get some pics of all the cars posted up in the next couple of days along with the tech inspection and qualfying stuff.

Until then thank you and Goodnight.

Alan Stubbings

Thanks Stubbo for the run,very pleased to finish where it did,must be a best ever result for the #14 car in any scale!

To finish 3rd is a big buzz amongst this very tight field.

Congratulations to all,cannot wait for the pics to see some of these little beauties,

Well done to Stubbo and SLO1 for their podium results,

Terry

Just a couple of observations.

This years cars generally covered less distance than last year and overall I would say the times were a bit down. There also seemed to be many more offs than last year.

I know the temperature of the track can vary a lot down at Cape depending on the weather so maybe that had something to do with it. From memory last year was a bit warmer.

I have a particular car I use as a test car to see where the track is at and it was just a bit slower than usual over the whole of the weekend.

Alan Stubbings

Phil, not your aging eyes, I have trouble reading too but then, I'm relying on my specs more and more.If you click on the spreadsheet it'll take you to photobucket and you can enlarge it from there.

Your Cooper is a very nice car to drive, typically what we have come to expect from you guys on the Apple isle. It was a closely fought battle between you and Terry. I left last night not being sure if Terry had snatched 3rd from you. Its not until the numbers with their thou of a second are crunched into the puter' that one can be sure.

Well done on a close battle for 3rd! The grandkids car was a little unsettled with the guide holding the fronts off the ground. Still a nice car to drive.

Thanks for the running the round - another sterling effort from my car :)

Not surprised on my position considering the 804 hadn't been run before. I suspect that either the motor is down a bit or the gearing is not right......

Congratulations to the usual suspects including Coastie Terry......

Hi Guys

Thanks to Alan,Stu and anyone else who helped to run things over the weekend

Also well done to Alan and Stu on their results and extra well done to Terry on his 3rd place, well deserved Tel. Best of the BWA powered cars as well.

I wasn't sure where my car was going to end up, so 9th is fair result I reckon . The comments are interesting.It sounds like it's handling OK but I suspect the motor is a bit weak. I thought it lacked a bit of grunt(???) compared to the one in last years T73 but drove better.

Onward and downwards to the southern most leg of the series

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

The comments are interesting.It sounds like it's handling OK but I suspect the motor is a bit weak. I thought it lacked a bit of grunt(???) compared to the one in last years T73 but drove better.

Cheers Alan

Spot on. It just had no grunt at all.

On the other hand Terry's was quite good around the Cape. It will be interesting to see how the BWA's go on the tracks where the power is more important.

Cheers

Alan Stubbings

Thanks Alan

I didn't have time to try different motors, so went with what I put in. The T73 has one of Al's first batch and the T62 has one of the later labelled versions. Maybe the second batch isn't as strong.

A solabotics for next year I think, if they are still allowed.

One of the other Alans

Edited by lenny broke

Hi all.

My car is identical to last year except number changed from 47 to 48 and gearing changed from 8:24 to 8:25. Driver Bruce McLaren also needed a break so Tim Mayer has taken over (or perhaps he jumped ship and is driving for Tassie)

Pretty happy with performance as qualifying 0.3 secs faster and round placing improved from 15th to 6th.

Note comments re being a bit taily so this is perhaps indication that tyres have gone off a bit since last year. Motor still appears to be performing OK.

Will be interesting to see how car goes in rest of competition.

Thanks for the great round and the extras provided. Pity entry numbers have again dropped so much from interest registered initially.

Regards

Chas Le Breton (Charlesx)

PS. As requested -

Q: What would you get if you crossed a sheep and a kangaroo?

A: A woolly jumper!

Edited by charlesx

Here are some of my thoughts on the cars. Baring in mind that even though some cars had their limitations, on this track, I thoroughly enjoyed driving them all! It may only be a matter of changing one thing on a particular car that might make it more competitive or easier to push harder, whether it be motor, ride height/COG, tyres, gearing, weight or guide set height/type or whatever. They were all nice to drive regardless.

Having the privilege to see each individual car and drive them is always a learning experience. Like the innovative drop arm chassis of Manimmal and FPR7 through to the innovative suspension detailing most of the cars to the effectiveness of simple chassis builds. Always something to learn, so thanks for playing guys!

The Brabhams are always going to be hard to beat at the Cape as this is where they are developed and tuned.

Thankyou Stubbo for getting the series off the ground and all the work you put into the running and organizing of the round and congrats on the win and to Scuderia Veloce ! Well done and congrats to Terry too!

My thoughts on the day:

Stubbo - good grip, good pace, great runner - 1 off

Spoons - good runner with good grip but tipped easily- 5offs (sorry!)

slo - what a lemon! lift ya game mate! - 0 offs

LennyBroke - Good smooth runner, resembles a Tassie car to drive, down on grunt and grip - 1 off

Old 23 Stew - Lovely car has good pace but gets loose when pushed - 1 off

RIR - Good steady pace, bit taily and tipped when pushed - 1 off

Mrollinthunder - Good solid runner, good grip, down on pace - 1 off

Grandkids - Another nice car,smooth to drive, bit tippy, and harder to push - 2 offs

Miveson - Smooth runner with good pace, higher stance makes it a bit tippy, good effort having never been run - 3 offs (sorry!)

FPR7 - Good steady runner, lacks some pace - 2 offs

Alexis - Holds slot really well, lack of grip makes it taily and hard to get some pace up - 0 offs

Phil - Nice solid runner, very smooth, good pace, bit down on grip - 0 offs

Charles - Another nice car, solid runner has good pace, again lacks grip - 0 offs

1950 Ferrari - Fun car to drive, unsettled when pushed - 0 offs

Manimmal - Another nice smooth runner, good pace, good grip, bit tippy - 1 off

Stubbo drove stages 1 and 2 clockwise then anticlockwise. I drove stages 3 and 4. My notes were taken after each run in the 3rd stage in the clockwise direction.

Didnt have any helpers this year, but Chris did prepare us a lovely lunch!

Edited by slo1quick

Hi Alan/Stubbo.

My T53 has 2 brass horns at the front that just slot into the nose. Rear is held with single screw behind gear.

Horns do not appear to have been problem previously unless bent slightly but sounds like it is OK.

Has same tyres as last year so that may be part of problem but I ran out of time to fit and sand new ones. I have little experience with urethanes so have no idea how long they last in good condition. Perhaps even a light sand to refresh would have helped.

Not too disappointed with first round result so we will have to wait and see. Thanks for great round and photos.

Regards

Chas Le Breton