Scaley Superbird (Shovel Nose, Huge Rear Spoiler)

jphanna

Just talking Scaley only here, as pioneer and SCX have excelIent cars. The scaley Camaro, both 69 and 70 seem to be the best race cars for American muscle, but there is also 'stocker' classes (NASCAR 50's and 60's equivalent?) which are a grey area as they also qualify for American muscle races.

the question I got for anyone who has a superbird......what does it drive like? the weight over the guide may help handling, but the rear overhang maybe detrimental. can you please confirm?

its sensational looking car.

(EDIT - Sorry its actually a Dodge Daytona. i always thought it was called a superbird.......)

c3423.jpg

thanks?

Edited by jphanna

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

Isn't the Road Runner was the 'normal' muscle car version and the Superbird the tricked out version with the 'aerodynamic' nose cone and high wing? The same additions were made to the Charger to become the Dodge Daytona. They were mainly intended for the track, but a number were released for general consumption (homologation purposes?). I think there was a lot of interchangeable bits between the Daytona and Superbird. I'm sure someone else would be able to confirm.

Not sure which came first, the Daytona or the Superbird. Always figured it was a bit of a chicken and egg question.

The Carrera versions of both cars are much better renderings of reality. At least visually.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I don't have the magazine, classic cars or something like that from the UK, (which I borrowed from library), but a mint condition unmolested popped up for auction in USA and reached just over $1,000,000. not sure if it was Plymouth or dodge version though.

anyone know what the slot car version handle like? if a Camaro is 8 out of 10, then 6 or 7 for the dodge? more, less........

I don't have the magazine, classic cars or something like that from the UK, (which I borrowed from library), but a mint condition unmolested popped up for auction in USA and reached just over $1,000,000. not sure if it was Plymouth or dodge version though.

anyone know what the slot car version handle like? if a Camaro is 8 out of 10, then 6 or 7 for the dodge? more, less........

Sorry no replies yet but I would assume they will be a little slow on tight corners and left right corners but be reasonably smooth to drive. They would not go as well as a Camaro or Mustang I would suggest but might be OK on a NASCAR oval if you have one to race on. Hopefully someone has one and can let you know.

Vinno,

no need to apologise. with those dimensions, its clear that a Camaro or Cuda or Mustang will be quicker race car.....but one thing I am learning about plastic car racing, and that is there is so many classes and you can pick your GUN classes, and also have the FUN classes.

coming last with a big heavy car that doesnt change directions very well, aint so bad......

you can claim a win in the 'COOL' factor.

Edited by jphanna

There is a nice Carrera body currently on e bay at a ridiculously low price. Expect it to rise. Seller knows all about selling to Australia..................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360887612817?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Hurry up though only a day or so left.

Ashes to ashes funk to funky we all know Chris is a junkie.

Y'know what JP? I think you're finally getting it.

What she said :huh:

we are missing you in the south races. obviously with your job, you are busy fixing up peoples boats all over the state, which means you are out of town regularly. slightly more important than racing slot cars with us........

The Charger Daytona came about because the Charger 500,whilst aerodynamically superior to a standard 68,69 Charger,it couldn't compete with the superior Ford Talladega. NASCAR required a production run of 500 for homolagation and so that amount or slightly more were made.The engine choices were the 440 Magnum or the 426 Hemi. The Plymouth Road Runner Superbird,or just plain Plymouth Superbird as its more commonly known,was Plymouths answer to the Charger Daytona and over a thousand were produced.Engine choices were 383,440,440-6Pack and 426 Hemi. All street Superbirds wore the vinyl roof the hide the lead work that was used when the flush rear window was fitted. The scoops on the front guards of both makes were non functional on the road cars. On the race cars the inner guard was cut out to allow for tyre travel,such was the down force from the nose that over bumps the tyres actually hit the guard. The Charger was a fast back and the Plymouth a more formal sedan shape so the cars don't share any body panels from memory. The nosecones and rear wings are exclusive to each car as well. Such was the success of these cars that NASCAR had them run small block motors for 1971 which rendered them uncompetitive. At the time the dealers couldn't sell the road cars,so they were often sold quite cheap. Now,as previously mentioned they command high prices with the 426 Hemi powered Daytona Charger being the pick of the crop.

www.sigmamansmodels.com

• 3 months later...

hi john the dodge daytona as a muscule car is crap haye driven one that was gowing to be used for a rookie race at tbird i would go with the camaro

hi john,

the superbirds when used on a oval tracks are pretty good but they need a lot fo work on them. those cars are lowered to obsene levels to make them handle.

the camaro/mustang/cougar all belong to the pony muscle class, slightly smaller, lower and more nimble to drive. the superbirds/galaxies/dodge chargers etc belong to the stockers class. these are traditional yank tanks and very long and tall.