2014 Tasman Cup Car Builds

Stubbo

I know there have been car builds posted elsewhere but if you want to share anything here it would be great.

Firstly I have developed a highly sophisticated instrument for confirming the width of the cars is legal.

I have used another car to show how it works.

WP_20140316_001.jpg

WP_20140316_002.jpg

WP_20140316_003.jpg

So if the car fits it's legal.

If it doesn't fit????????

I hope to develop other similar engineering marvels to help with the all important tech inspection.

Alan Stubbings

So here are the two new builds underway for Stubbo and Slo1quick.

WP_20140317_001.jpg

Still a bit of work to do. but they should be done by the 28th.

Stu has been having a bit of trouble getting the mounting post right.

He was using my glasses! Hopefully he can find a ruler and a knife. It aint gonna fit otherwise.

WP_20140316_008.jpg

Alan Stubbings

Managed to find me glasses!

Here's a few pics of the podded chassis been working on to suit Stubbos' creations.

It is a composition of high temp silver brazing with acetylene and silver soldering with an iron.

Just have to attach the front top ties then on with finishing the second one which will be identical.

The pod works a treat and allows for wheel base adjustment. fits FF030 and FF050 motors.

TasmanChassis2014013_zps3717dc37.jpg

TasmanChassis2014017_zps432652d9.jpg

That is one nice piece of work, I love the suspension detail, I intended to enter this years series but I'm struggling on the suspension. Got my wheels and tyres from D'Art today so perhaps it will re in-spire me. I have both Brabham and Cooper bodies but can't decide which to use.

"I know there have been car builds posted elsewhere but if you want to share anything here it would be great.

Firstly I have developed a highly sophisticated instrument for confirming the width of the cars is legal.

I have used another car to show how it works."

So if the car fits it's legal.

If it doesn't fit????????

Hey Alan, here's my ultra sophisticated hi-tech measuring tool:

DSC05949_zps5d931f73.jpg

Popsicle stick with cut-out for Max Track Width plus 2 smaller ones for rear and front tyres width

DSC05948_zps572aa02c.jpg

Took me all of 3 mins to make the cut-outs. Took me a little longer to finish sucking the ice-cream off the stick! :lol::D

I hope to develop other similar engineering marvels to help with the all important tech inspection.

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

The same can be done for checking the minimum diameter of a wheel/tyre. Back in my RC car days, we called this a "No-Go" gauge. We also built a box to handle the scrutineering of max width of our cars with an upright at the rear to indicate the max allowable height for wings. Lower the car into the box and if it went in without any fidgeting or fiddling, then it was legal. If the wing height exceeded a mark on the rear upright, then it had to be lowered to comply.

Edited by chenglaw

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

IMG_1319_zps3cdb2599.jpg

IMG_1327_zps47ea89d8.jpg

Finally,ready to go,I built this car as a "companion" car to my BRM which has just finished the 2013/2014 VRAA,so I have had the car half built for some time now,car has the BWA motor fitted,as per the VRAA specs,so I may be a bit down on power compared to the Vanski motors,but with all thats been going on up here I'm happy to not change the motor and just concentrate on getting the car finished and on its way down to Stubbo,its nice to get back into building and get my mind off other issues.

Terry

Edited by terry

Thats a very nice looking little build you have there! The exhausts and tubing under the intakes look great too!

I'd love to see the chassis too. Looking forward to seeing this one in the flesh. Well done to make it to the party Terry. All the best !

Sorry,I forgot to take any chassis pics,and now the car is on its way,hopefully Stubbo can get chassis pics done on the field once they all arrive.

My car ,#14,is the sister car to the #1 Scuderia Veloce car which was driven by Graham Hill,my car was driven by the NZ driver Kerry Grant,I hope my car is a little more successful than the original #14 which had a dreadful series,although the #1 car fared much better.

I think the cars were prepared that year by Spencer Martin who went on to drive the cars for Scuderia veloce,then onto drive for Bob Jane,Spencer martin won the Gold Star in this period(not sure if it was with Scuderia Veloce or with Bob Jane)back then the Gold Star meant something.today lots of fans would not know what the gold Star was.

Spencer Martin today makes a nice living by travelling the world driving vintage race cars for quite wealthy owners.

Terry

Edited by terry

Spencer martin won the Gold Star in this period(not sure if it was with Scuderia Veloce or with Bob Jane)back then the Gold Star meant something.today lots of fans would not know what the gold Star was.

Is it like an elephant stamp? ;)

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Well it's been a busy weekend and I'm trying hard to finish the Tasman entry - of course nothing goes to plan and part way through the build the NSR screwdriver snapped and I was left with a wheel that had a couple of mm's of metal connected to the M2 screw....

Then to make matters worse I broke one of only 2 mirrors that I had - you'll see only a single mirror on the car below....

It's not the most beautiful Porsche 804 you'll ever see but I'm well impressed with the chassis which has been scratch built and is a major achievement for someone so amateurish. The front axle assembly was easy but the rear assembly was a major pain and I went through a few brackets perfecting my soldering skills.

IMG_5812.JPG

There shouldn't me much to go now (probably a couple of hours work)

- Await some new 15" front wheels

- Solder left side rear axle assembly (major pain in the backside)

- Model and solder cross - section for rears

- Ture tyres

- Attach windscreen

- Rescue left windscreen

- Cut axles and attach wheel inserts

- Epoxy chassis holders

- Add guide / lead wires

- Add roll bar (paperclip)

I'd like to say I've been enjoying this but that is far from the truth - I'm slowly realising that I'm terrible at model making. Still the chassis is flush and straight so that is probably all that matters...... It should be in the post by about Thursday via Express Post platinum, just in time for the deadline (phew). I'll be happy to have my dining room table back to normal once this is over.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by miveson

Nod bad considering the wife is on the Gold Coast and I've done 3 loads of washing, dusted and vacum'd, a good 2.5 hrs in a kayak doing 20km, breakfast, lunch and dinners. I'll be going to work on Monday thinking it's a holiday... phew....

At least I can see the end in sight.... I've learnt a bundle - the best advice I could give myself is to finish it (I've been procrastinating bit time on the rear detail............... the kitchen table is likely to be returned to clean glory in about 3 days..........

Mark