Slot.it Matra-Simca Ms 670 B - Le Mans 1974

Vinno

Copied from another thread.

IMPOSSIBLE, or as the French would say il n'est pas possible

One privilege of being a distributor, is having access to new models before the general public. In the case of the Slot.it Matra, it has been sitting festering, calling to me from the work table, so today I decided to open one up and see what this little frog car, this "Simca" could do.

First glance showed me it has a wheelbase several mm longer than the McLaren and GT40, less guide-lead, (the length the guide is in front of the front axle), and more plastic behind the rear axle for "pendulum" weight. None of these made for a very promising performance.

First up, I just flattened and flared the stiff standard braid, loosened all 6 pod and both body screws 2 fulls turns, and threw it on the track, stock tyres, nothing glued, nothing trued; - and quickly got down to 5.65 seconds, which is anything but shabby on my track.

WRONG, OH So wrong, wrong, wrong wrong, wrong, wrong wrong, wrong, wrong wrong, the Maurizios' strike again

Back to the bench, swapped the rears for some glued and trued N22 rubber from a Group C Sauber, removed the "choke" from the motor in case it was fouling the underside of the body, adjusted the pod float a little, and back to track.

5.45 without trying hard, and it was wheel-standing out of the slot under acceleration out of the hairpin, smooth as butter.

Back to the bench

Trued the front tyres - didn't bother to glue on for a quick test. Added 4 grams lead to the chassis between the front of the pod and the body post, and moved the magnet to the front position in the pod - just to trim the forward weight balance.

Removed the front axle stoppers, fitted grub screws underneath and set the front ride height for full guide depth.

Back to the track

Better balance, and quicker, 5.3 . . .5.2 . . . 5.1 5.1 5.1 . .

Nope, not possible.... stopped to check the timing system.

5.2 mistake and a 5.3 as it came out of the last corner on the outside 2 wheels, guide airborne and dropped back into the slot. 5.28 5.16 5.11

Note. The car hasn't been disassembled since the factory, the chassis hasn't been flattened... nothing fancy....

For those of you who don't know my track, is a 64 foot (19.5 metre) wood routed track, tinned-copper braided with 8 turns. No magnetic effect.

The longest straight is 3.2 metres, and the next longest is just 2.2 metres.

Anything that can do around 5 seconds for 12.5 feet average speed per lap is bordering on qualifying for the 100 metres at the next Olympics.

Oh my.... I have a new favourite.72556_565807120193573_372676428_n.jpg

1975272_565806926860259_601906037_n.jpg

1975012_565806986860253_8366306_n.jpg

1613942_565807050193580_1249637952_n.jpg

1979697_565807046860247_1159177940_n.jpg

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Nope mate, clear as day.

There was some discussion on SFI about that, but the feeling by a couple of guys was that as these are not "toys" then it was okay.... who knows,

besides, how many people down here say "pass me a gitane and a light monsiour" :)

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Alan, we've all told ourselves we have enough slot cars, some of us have told ourselves this many, many, many times

But short term memory loss is a symptom of the addiction :)

Some real nice video, and taken just down the road near mexico city.

(Not that I'm trying t o re-kindle the interstate wars or anything.... like . . much)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UTkAmLnsC4

Hand on your heart......if you have driven a tuned McLaren, and KNOW how good they are, if more than a few people claim this is the next big thing I would love to know. to be better than a McLaren......now that is real special.

what class would this car be classed as in slot ca racing categories?

I saw 2 get sold within 20 minutes while practicing at thunderbirds. both guys are renowned racers.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

For our, all the "Slot.it Classics" - whichcome with the sidewinder setup, run in our "65 - '80 sports class.

That's the Ferrari 312pb, Alfa 33/3 Chaparral 2E, GT40 and GT40 MkII, McLaren M8D and the Matra.

As well as them, a few rechassised cars like my Revell Lola T70 with HRS chassis, one guy has a quick NSR Ford P68 he occasionally brings out as alternative to his GT40, and people could run a few others.

The Slot.it GT40 and Alfa have been quickest at club in recent times, and the McLaren I've only had one chance to run so far; but the Matra is as quick on my twisty track, but I m running untreated tyres on the Matra, whereas I have treated tyres on everything else. Also the Matra is very easy to run consistent laps - within a 1/10th of a second over 10 laps.

So I am looking forward to my first chance to run it in anger. I did a few test laps at Macs 95 foot track on Thursday, and got under 7 seconds, which is "Open GT class" territory.

I fell in love with that car in the Le Mans museum Stubbo. I spent ages just looking into the cockpit. I liked the matra's with the small engines opposite it too - awesome little things.

When I saw one at Demon Slot the other day, I just had to have it (last one in stock). My first impulse buy in over two years.

Not run it yet, but young Ben ran his with just 2 or 3 g of lead in the front, bogstock tyres, little bit of screw loosening and he said straight off, faster than his 8D and 312PB.

We'll be running them in the same club classes as you SlotsNZ. Just need to check it is valid for this years Wales and West GT champs (typically slot.it classics in the morning, open GT in the afternoon).

wosautos12.gif

That is 2 posts which claim its better than the M8D. the lap timers dont lie. i just dont know the the speed could come from. The M8D to me....is the epidemy of SlotIt finest work. i have cotton balled mine and its for racing only.

i may have to ask a few of the guys i know of, that have bought the new Matra for a thrash. i wanna see what all the fuss is about. if i bought one, what do i do with the M8D? its like being unfaithful...

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan