Shelton Raceways Adelaide

brk12345

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kart Driver I am Mignon Shelton and my father is John Shelton one of the owners of Shelton Raceways. We are not sure but dad is making a few enquiries, but we think it closed around 1969-1970. I was born in 1961 and remember going there when I was under 10 years old. I have to say its amazing how many people I have met over the years that went there during their younger years :o) We will get back to you when we can find out a bit more info for you. Cheers.

Shelton was a hard nut to crack for out of towners.. Especially trying to beat Rick Bishop. The Vic's thought he was a one track trick... Err, that's until he came over and won the first Brock race on our new King track! A Shelton 24 hour race was the longest weekend of my life. After shutting up Quickslot late Friday night.. Then driving all night with "Neck Nelson" and one of the Quicksloters to Adelaide in time for breakfast at the pancake parlour and then round the corner in time for Sheltons annual 24 hour race.. 24 hours later, beaten ( again) by the S.A. Teams then drive home all thru the night in time for Monday morning job start. It normally does'nt take that long to drive from Adelaide to Melbourne but there must have been a race party.. (SA always had a race party) oh, and somewhere near Bordertown a big end started to rattle so it became a very long slow trip. Still can't believe we made it home without putting a rod thu the block! One of the other Quickslot guys took many hours longer.. one of the wags from Moonee Raceway told him the quickest was was via Ocean Road! :lol:

Edited by axman

• 2 months later...

Hello guys. Just found this forum by nostalgically googling "Shelton Raceways". I was a regular there from about the mid 1960s until about 1971 and then dropped out of the scene when I had to do National Service. I still have couple of trophies one for 1st place 6 hour 1/24th Sports Cars and one 1st "A" Grade Shelton 250. Both were dated 1968.

I remember winning a few times the regular Friday night handicap race with a prize of (I think) $50, which was a lot in those days, and having a few rum & cokes afterwards in the car park behind Sheltons before a group of us would wander up to the Post Office pie car for a pie floater! About the only one from those days I still saw regularly was Rick Bishop until his death from a sudden heart attack in 1998. The slot car scene back in the 60s was flourishing with Cox, Russkit, then home-built chasses with brass plate & piano wire and tire "goo" dramatically reducing lap times. Nice to see a few of the old buggers still tied up with slot cars and that interest in this sport is thriving.

Edited by Platypup

• 6 years later...
On 5/31/2014 at 4:45 PM, Platypup said:

Hello guys. Just found this forum by nostalgically googling "Shelton Raceways". I was a regular there from about the mid 1960s until about 1971 and then dropped out of the scene when I had to do National Service. I still have couple of trophies one for 1st place 6 hour 1/24th Sports Cars and one 1st "A" Grade Shelton 250. Both were dated 1968.

I remember winning a few times the regular Friday night handicap race with a prize of (I think) $50, which was a lot in those days, and having a few rum & cokes afterwards in the car park behind Sheltons before a group of us would wander up to the Post Office pie car for a pie floater! About the only one from those days I still saw regularly was Rick Bishop until his death from a sudden heart attack in 1998. The slot car scene back in the 60s was flourishing with Cox, Russkit, then home-built chasses with brass plate & piano wire and tire "goo" dramatically reducing lap times. Nice to see a few of the old buggers still tied up with slot cars and that interest in this sport is thriving.

I'd assume from this post that you knew my Father Murray Scott, hes not well currently and I was talking with him today about the good old days for him and slot cars is one of the passions we have both shared over the years although he did most of his before I came along and I did mine at Redline in  the late 80s early 90s, if you have anything cool to fill me in on his history at Sheltons I'd love to hear it, 

Regards 

Alexis Scott 

Edited by Alexis68

• 4 weeks later...