Back After 40 Years In The Wilderness

oldie

.. or so it seems. Way back then I played this game when working in Fiji of all places, and now after all the usual distractions like family, 1:1 cars and so on, racing in 32nd scale has recommenced and I'm having a whale of a time. Even at this early stage I would just like to say 'thanks' to those already in the game and the way in which I have been made welcome and the effort everyone has put into (trying to) get me up to date. The changes over the years have been mind-boggling, but the basic principles and the fun that can be had remain just as they were originally and just as they should be. :)

Welcome aboard "Oldie" - You'll find people with common interests here for sure.

Where are you located?

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Ah Dave, thought that might be you. Mark here, enjoy the madhouse.

The Hawkes Bay club also have our own live thread here, which we use as our main communication method week to week.

It's also where we can "dis" each other, lay down threats of being lapped, nerfed, and generally tell each other we drive like grandma - all in a fun way.

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14952-hbmrc-hawkes-bay-nz/page__pid__213784__st__2080#entry213784

In time you guys may want to do something similar

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Papokettle woppie where? Ahhh... Another furriner...

Well.... Come..... We... Are... Very... Pleased... You... Could... Join... Us...

Mark, you may have to act as translator. :)

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Papakowhai is a suburb of Porirua, about 5km north, just off SH1

Isn't that near neverkickamoocow, and just down the road from knockedmetinnyover

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Papakowhai is a suburb of Porirua, about 5km north, just off SH1

Isn't that near neverkickamoocow, and just down the road from knockedmetinnyover

Hey Gaz, 'Oldie' is just a short swim across the little ditch from your WRC girlfriend

Aussies making fun of place names in another country...........just a tad ironic me thinks.

eg Have you ever been to Burpengary?

Yep that that's out at Casula here in Sydney.

Burpengary - basically a northern suburb of Brisbane in Queensland. Are they still part of Australia :P

And BTW Munter I spotted a town near Akaroa when I was there a couple of weeks ago - pronounced like Suckermytoe :P

Oh! Oldie - welcome back into this "get a life" world :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Mel, you may be getting mucking fuddled again. I think the one up your way is Pfarttengary, isn't it?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hey, slots are great which ever side of the Tasman you are on and automotive GPS systems are a godsend.

Regards

John

Taradise

NZ

ps another oz one that I like is Tallebudgera

Hit the button.

Well, we have the world famous in er, Ekatahuna, Ekatahuna, and a road just out of town called "Footrot Flats" (kiwis will understand that one)

My all time favourite is in NSW Gary. We drove for what seemed like 3 days, and finally reach the thriving metropolis of Gundagai , . . . .

But then munter, we have this naming thing down pat. Not 90 minutes drive from our homes is

Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu

- I put it on it's own line, I doubt anything else would fit.

Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu is the Maori name for a hill, 305 metres (1,001 ft) high, close to Porongahau about 90km south of Napier.

Whoa - I didn't mean to start this stuff, but since we're on the topic now I seem to recall an old ditty which went -

"I've been everywhere, man… I've been to Wollongong, Geelong, Kurrajong, Mullumbimby, Mittagong, Molong, Grong Grong, Goondiwindi … Cabramatta, Parramatta, Wangaratta, Coolangatta; what's it matter?"

...I reckon the best bit is the latter "what's it matter" but, just in case it does, Papakowhai (which is how this all started) is a Maori name for an area of flat land with kowhai trees [papa = flat]. I knew you wanted to know that, especially as most of it is up on a hillside!

If you like Gary NSW Mark then you'll enjoy Keith on the SA/Vic border.

:D I like the ones that tell stories, or describe the place. I live just down the road a bit from Gringegalgona. Not really sure of the story behind that, no doubt it is of Koori extraction. There are some crackers around here. But Innerloo (WA) will always make me smirk.

Must be fun listening to the GPS struggle over some of the names.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

:) American-sourced GPS are the most entertaining, though I’m yet to hear one having a bash as the Kiwi version of “I’ve been everywhere...” part of which runs –

Kaparoa Whangaroa Akaroa Motueka

Taramoa Benmore Pongaroa Horoeka

Rimutaka Te Karaka Whangarei

Nuhaka Waimahaka Motuhura Waikaka

Motonui Hokonui Papanui Wainui

Matawai Rongotai Pikowai I'm a guy - and there’s more where that comes from :wacko:

Hahahaha.... Lucky Star had so much fun with that song and it got adapted to EVERYWHERE.

On GPSs, mine even struggles with the simple things like Dunkeld, which it pronounces Dunkled rather than Dunk-eld. Yet surprisingly it gets Moe (Mo-ee not Mo) right. Then of course we have our local Mount Napier which is Nah-peer as distinct to your Nay-pia.

I think if an Aussie GPS was moved across the ditch it'd develop a very bad stutter within a week.

BTW: I approve your choice of avatar conveyance.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Glad you like the avatar. It was done by a local cartoonist as a heading for some scribbling I did for a classic car magazine.

Four and a half years graft in the building of that 1:1 scale job - just a wee bit slower that working at 1:32.

For the story have a decko at

http://www.constructorscarclub.org.nz/index.php?page=DavidBraysClassic120Replica

Glad you like the avatar. It was done by a local cartoonist as a heading for some scribbling I did for a classic car magazine.

oldie,

nice to see some-one else with a caricature avatar. I drew my avatar a few years ago, but it isn't actually of me, I just wanted to put an old face on an old Bultaco bike.

I had a look at the rebuild article. So do you have a 1:32 Ninco Jag XK120, to go with your 1:1 version?

Holty

Yep - I certainly do Holty. It's finding one of those (and being given a couple of other F1 cars by my kids) that got me back into slots - then I met a couple of other guys who had home tracks ... so I built a small layout in the basement ... and I guess you can work out the rest.

• 3 months later...

For all you Kiwis from an ex Taswegian, I was told once that Kiwis are proof that Tasmanians can swim.

Re names, Tasmania is the only place I know where Paradise is just down the road from No where else - I kid you not.

Another couple of Australian names I like are Goodnight and Galah. Fancy having those as your address... Now, to get back to my slot cars.

• 4 months later...

Great thread... please keep it going..... it's an awful lot better than the funny pages (AKA as the national fish-wrappers, ummmmm "news"papers).

When I first got my driver's license - had a fit finding out "Porepunkah" lived up near Bright...

Oh, and welcome back Oldie.... green with envy of your 120.... how do you find time to play with slots?

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01