1961 French Grand Prix

9 replies to this topic

#1 bigskybanker

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

So what to do for the Tasman? Well, I've always wanted to build a Lotus 21, and I had a nice Dave Jones shell in the bin.

I must thank David Lawson for the inspiration for this car; it was David who had brought it to my attention that the Lotus 21s raced at Reims that hot summer day in July were minus the lower body panels. Thanks to a video i found a while back on Youtube, I discovered that Innes Ireland's Lotus only had the right hand side panels removed. But even if Jim Clark's car was set up the same way, this car is sans the lower body panels on both sides. I think it makes for an interesting appearance and adds a bit more challenge to the model making.

Posted Image

Here are a few pictures of the car during the build:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one is a bit misleading as I ended up changing the chassis, building the 'space frame' from piano wire rather than plastic tube and swapping out the BWA 050 motor with a Solarbotics 030.

Posted Image

New driver (a nice Jim Clark from Immense Miniatures) piano wire space frame but the old motor. Well, these things take time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost done; I still need to add the roll bar, rear shocks and the upper rear trailing arms. I have serious doubts that this car will survive many shunts, but I'm fairly pleased with the results.

Mark

Edited by bigskybanker, 23 January 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#2 neil

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

looks beautiful...... (can I say that here ?)..... but it does....

#3 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Wow - what a sensational effort.....

#4 shadow_rusty

"Team ABC" Team Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Very, very nice...
Should be great to see completed...
Posted Image
Stolen from SlotsNZ

Team ABC Team Leader
(Ambitious, But Crap)

Home Track Threads - Shadow's Semi-Permanent Layout & Another Rug Racer & Proud of It & Gymkhana Test Track
Car Collection Thread - My Car Collection
Charts / Diagrams - MJK Tyre Selector
/ Slot.it 4wd Gearing / PoliCar Rollout / [size=3]Rollout Chart Generator / SCX 4wd Rollout / Track Wiring with Brake on Track Call

#5 mondeoman

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Looks a million bucks!!
Keen to see how you did the space frame chassis - that type of skill is foreign to me!
If it doesn`t have wheels and an engine it`s not sport!

#6 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Really nice work Mark, love the chassis.

Is the nose scoop an add on?
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#7 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Solarbotics eh.. thats brave. ;)
Very nice car you've made there Mark, Well done! The rear tyres look well within the max width, they look great on this car. Do you chop a beardog chassis for the rear wishbones or are these available as a seperate part?
Thanks for posting it up on Auslots.
"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#8 bigskybanker

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

Thanks guys.

I assembled the space frame rails and triangular pieces by sizing and then overlaying rods on a drawing. The picture shows how I assembled the plastic rod frame, (I disarded these rails in favor of thinner and stronger piano wire). I sized the piano wire pieces the same way and then secured them on my jig before soldering.

Posted Image

The petrol tanks were made out of fiberglass bits (front) or plastic sprue (rear). The instrument panel was shaped from plastic card.
Chassis #1 was piano wire and brass. And yes, I chopped the front and rear suspension and uprights from a spare Beardog chassis and soldered those to the bottom of the frame. But I wasn't happy with the balance and stance of that chassis so it is now in the parts bin. Chassis #2, pictured at the end of my first post, has lower A arms and trailing arms constructed out of piano wire.

Here's a picture of the piano wire rails and tanks fitted to Chassis #1 (with the FF050 motor). I transferred the rails to the second chassis but rebulit the front petrol tanks. Most of the pieces in the picture below are just stuck in the car with blue tac.

Posted Image

The rear tires are from Paul Gage and approximately 6.5mm at the bulge. Perhaps a bit narrow (?) but they look right to me from an appeance stadnpoint (silly me). The wheels are from Ranch Design., Inserts are from DART Hobbies. The mirrors are either from an old FPF parts kit or perhaps from a Prewing kit. (I really should keep labels on my stuff).

Jim Clark driver's head is from Immense Miniatures, the driver's body is a 'compilation' from the parts bin. Here is a close up of "Jim" before I grafted his head on to the final body I chose for the car (note the blue tac 'kerchief' that holds his head in place)

Posted Image

The pinion gear is from BWA,, the crown gear is from Slot-it. Decals are from Indycals. Paint is Tamiya Racing Green.

The nose scoop is indeed an add on, I noticed that the Lotus 21s at Reims had a nose scoop on the left side of the front cowling, so I added one in what looked to be the correct location. I had a better shot of Innes Ireland's car which showed the scoop:

Posted Image

There isn't a decent sized routed track with 125 miles of my home, so the car will have very little track time (a few laps around my small Ninco plastic track) and therefore I'll just be happy if it survives the series; anything better would be a bonus.

Mark

Edited by bigskybanker, 23 January 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#9 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:27 AM

Thanks Mark, a very full update
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#10 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

Great build. Good to see some new ideas coming through.

Regards Chas Le Breton

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users